Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ams123 View Post
    The bag looks great, but I think the video is fantastic! What a cute little guy there at the end. And I have to say, I admire a man who will show his underwear to millions of viewers on youtube. I caught a glimpse of your smartrip card too, we must be neighbors.
    ahem, yes, well, i'm pretty close to west falls church metro.

I'm not a backpack guy, that said, the Iberian Aeronaut Backpack Packing Cube is on my acquisition list and should an Iberian Synapse become available, I think I would have to purchase such on general principles. I rue that I came to appreciate the Steel Dyneema Synapse too late to purchase it but an Iberian version would more that assuage my loss.

The Dyneema material is something I have come to enjoy, and am very satisfied by. I have a shoulder bag, shop bag and a yarn sack in Dyneema and it is quite a remarkable material. Remarkable enough to draw me to experimenting with a backpack.

Also, I would like to add that I too find the Iberian Dyneema a remarkable color. Congrats on such a well chosen color.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    And yet I've only ever seen THREE people on the Metro with Tom Bihn bags (other than friends of mine, of course!). Where are y'all hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Maybe I'll be a voice in the wilderness here, but I'm all in favor of an iberian red dyneema Ruk's Sack.

I also think iberian red dyneema would go great as a Passport Pouch, Clear Organizer Pouches (along with other dyneema colors), Freudian Slips, and Medium Cafe Bags. And could you imagine a dyneema Aeronaut with iberian red exterior and a solar interior?

And I think solar and iberian red would make a great mixture for exterior colors of a special edition Smart Alec.

I agree with all of those, especially the Dyneema Aeronaut. Is that even a possibility?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Dyneema/nylon, as it's an ultra-light fabric, doesn't have the same stiffness/body as our 1050d Ballistic Nylon or 1000d or even 500d Cordura. That's why there's certain styles of bags - the Smart Alec, for example - that won't be made with a Dyneema exterior. Others...perhaps! Our production schedule is pretty full through 2010. Anything new (besides the FJN) will be 2011.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

A while back, Maverick produced a video about "packing a suit in an Aeronaut" for the Tom Bihn YouTube channel, in which he used an Eagle Creek garment sleeve. He made mention of a possible Tom Bihn garment sleeve due by mid-2010. I hope that sleeve project makes it into the Bihn schedule, as I would be most interested in seeing what Mr. Bihn does with the concept. And it would be very interesting to see what Mr. Bihn could do with a garment sleeve using this new iberian red dyneema fabric, to be sure!

Quote Originally Posted by adealarcon View Post
    Darcy,

Any chance the co-pilot will be made in black/iberian?
    Yes! Maybe by the end of this year, but more likely, in early 2011.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by KarlJ View Post
    Quite becoming... well done!
    KarlJ,

Didn't you suggest a Red Dyneema/nylon in the past? The problem with that has always been that the white lines of the Dyneema could make red look pink. We spent a lot of time finding the right shade of red that would not turn pink - and that's Iberian.

Has anyone experimented with these different dyneema colors to create a dyneema Imago? That would make a very interesting gift (purse) for a woman.

Darcy,

I had to go back and look at that thread, and you are correct. I suggested a Crimson Dyneema as well as possibly a Black Dyneema (since we were just tossing ideas around). But I could see how the dyneema fiber could make the crimson appear more pinkish, and would probably dilute the black as well unless you were starting with a very dark black. I think with the Iberian Red, you've definitiely hit the mark!

Now I'm envisioning a White dyneema. While that probably wouldn't be a very popular or practical color choice, I think an almost pearl-like appearance would be the result to it.

I'm pretty close to Grosvenor.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ams123 View Post
    I'm pretty close to Grosvenor.
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    And yet I've only ever seen THREE people on the Metro with Tom Bihn bags (other than friends of mine, of course!). Where are y'all hiding?
    we have a few other people on the forum in the dc area. we should try to get together one of these saturdays. maybe 25-sep-2010? on the mall in dc between the museum of natural history and the smithsonian castle? the smithsonian metro stop is right there.

we can all bring a tom bihn bag (or two) for everyone to see. i can even bring my camera and we can shoot some video - it would be fun to have someone other than me demonstrating what they pack in their tom bihn bag! it would be a good idea to coordinate so that we don't end up with a half dozen synapse backpacks!

bring your family, bring your dog, bring food and beverage, bring a kite, a frisbee, a ball to toss, and most importantly, bring one (or two) of your tom bihn bags!

if there is enough interest, i'd be happy to coordinate - let me know.

thanks!

we should try to get together one of these saturdays
    I like the idea of a national Tom Bihn bag trip! Once a year or two or three, a Tom Bihn event where people get together. The entry ticket? Wearing a Tom Bihn bag of course.

It would be a blast! of course, it could be confusing in the overhead bin, but then we'd be spotting the other attendees. It would be so much fun.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Like Bike Week in Daytona but Bag Week in wherever.

Splendid idea!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0