View Poll Results: Which would you prefer - Grid or Dot paper?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grid

26 72.22%
  • Dot

10 27.78%
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

FJN Paper: Grid or Dots? Vote!

At this point, we plan to offer Crane paper (plain), Harbor (ruled), and Harbor in Grid or Dots. Which would you prefer - dots or grid?
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Is there an example of the dot pattern online, Darcy?
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Many! Try searching Google for 'Dot Paper'.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I did Google them, but there are many different designs using dots. Some are one dot per inch, some are many dots per inch. Some dots are tiny, some are large, there is variety in dot paper. Is there a specific dot matrix in mind, or is the question more about dot paper as a concept?

There are some dot matrices I like, and others I'm not as fond of. I like a matrix in a very light ink, small dot diameter, 4 dots per inch, just enough off color from the paper they are on so that they are there if you look for them but are unobtrusive background noise if you are not. The short of it is I like some dot paper, but not all dot paper.

The same kind of ink scheme is what I prefer on grid paper too. Also, I like grid paper that has the horizontal lines in normal tone, and the vertical lines in a much fainter tone. I have seen DIY versions of this done by printing the vertical lines on the reverse of a sheet for example. If you look carefully, you can see the vertical lines through the paper and use them, but they are easily unnoticed or disregarded if using the horizontal line alone.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Thanks for your detailed response, ex machina. It's amazing how much variation there is in paper - and in printed styles.

My personal preference is for grid.

When the I first saw dot paper, I didn't see any use for it. But, I found out that artists and people who use organizational charts find dot paper very valuable.

A poll is really a great way to identify TB fans of dot paper, especially the kind of dot paper (small/big/heavy/faint dots, wide or narrow grid)

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    At this point, we plan to offer Crane paper (plain), Harbor (ruled), and Harbor in Grid or Dots. Which would you prefer - dots or grid?
    So Darcy, will we choose one from the three when we order the FJN or will it include a bit of each? Apolgizes if explained earlier.

No apologies necessary! You will choose which paper(s) you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    No apologies necessary! You will choose which paper(s) you want.
    Thanks Darcy