Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn Garment Sleeve - Mid 2010?

Tom Bihn Garment Sleeve - Mid 2010?

In a recent video produced by Maverick for the Tom Bihn YouTube Channel titled "Packing a Suit in an Aeronaut", we learn that Mr. Bihn is perhaps planning to release a new product in mid-2010: a new Garment Sleeve.

This particular musing on Maverick's part caught my attention. Down the road when I build up enough money, I'm looking forward to purchasing at least one Tom Bihn carry-on. After my 2009 travel disaster, I decided that I would eventually have to seek out and purchase some high-quality luggage and other gear for travel. It's been a long time coming, but I still plan on eventually purchasing either an Aeronaut and/or a Tri-Star and a complete suite of accessories. (I recently purchased some passport pouches.)

Back to the Garment Sleeve mention. If such a product is coming, I will likely want to buy one with my new Aeronaut and/or Tri-Star. Would anyone like to elaborate further on what's up with the Garment Sleeve, what it will be like and when we can expect to see it?

Any update on this project?

Is it due out before Year's End, or has it been put on the back burner?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Tom Bihn Garment Sleeve

Registered here just to bump up this thread. Is a garment sleeve still in the works? I'm going to need one in a few months and would rather wait and get a Tom Bihn one since I'm sure it would be made to work well with the Aeronaut which I have already.

Quote Originally Posted by randompost View Post
    Registered here just to bump up this thread. Is a garment sleeve still in the works? I'm going to need one in a few months and would rather wait and get a Tom Bihn one since I'm sure it would be made to work well with the Aeronaut which I have already.
    An Aeronaut specifically compatible garment sleeve would be an absolute win with me, I await details expectantly (:

I agree that a garment sleeve for the Aeronaut would be an extremely positive development. Such a sleeve would greatly enhance the Aeronaut for business travelers.

I am surprised that Mr. Bihn's sleeve project seems to have been delayed for so long. When Maverick said mid-2010, I was expecting to see it before mid-2011 at the very latest. I wonder what the problem could be. Does anyone know?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

MtnMan...take a look at these two videos for ideas on how to pack a suit without a garment sleeve:

How To Roll A Suit - YouTube

Jacket folding - light travel one-bag packing technique - YouTube
    MtnMan likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

In what I've seen/read, the new item process is quite fluid. Some things take longer than planned, others less time, some change scope mid-stream, and others may not happen altogether. Doesn't mean there's a problem, necessarily. If the garment bag project is indeed in the works, I can only imagine it's Tom's exacting standards of quality that are extending the process.

I think there are at least 2 factors at work, Tom's inspiration and the marketplace.

There may be a new fabric or gizmo which is in the testing stage and will be the utmost perfect addition to a TB garment sleeve. Or Tom is tweaking and testing a design, first for himself and the Crew then with family and close friends and then after feedback, he tweaks stuff some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    MtnMan...take a look at these two videos for ideas on how to pack a suit without a garment sleeve:

How To Roll A Suit - YouTube

Jacket folding - light travel one-bag packing technique - YouTube
    Neat techniques!

Regarding the suit rolling technique in particular...

If I were to use an Aeronaut, or a Tri-Star, or a Western Flyer, for one-bag air travel, and I rolled my suit jacket, a couple pairs of dress pants, and did something with dress shirts, dress socks, ties, etc., how would I store the rolls so they did not slosh around inside the luggage? Would Bihn packing cubes work?

Thank you for sharing.

For Bihn Bags, I use the packing cubes designed for the particular bag. So Aeronaut packing cubes for the Aeronaut, Tri-Star packing cubes for the Tri-Star. I usually find the jacket rolls pretty thick so it doesn't go in a cube. But I've packed tight enough so it doesn't roll around. And I use the internal cinch straps to keep everything in place.
    MtnMan likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I use the TB packing cubes as well. I use the plastic board from an older Eagle Creek (medium I think) shirt folder to fold my shirts, and I slide this board into the back of the TB cube so I can use it later. I also think that having the hard plastic backing helps minimize wrinkling. When I leave the board at home and only have my folded/stacked shirts, I think they come out a bit more wrinkly than when I do keep the board in there.
    MtnMan likes this.
    YonkDaddy!
    Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Steel/Wasabi Synapse25, Black/UV Synapse19, Black/Steel Western Flyer, Black Checkpoint Flyer, Steel/Wasabi Side Effect, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Travel Tray, numerous packing cubes, organizer pouches

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    For Bihn Bags, I use the packing cubes designed for the particular bag. So Aeronaut packing cubes for the Aeronaut, Tri-Star packing cubes for the Tri-Star. I usually find the jacket rolls pretty thick so it doesn't go in a cube. But I've packed tight enough so it doesn't roll around. And I use the internal cinch straps to keep everything in place.
    You know, I don't think I've ever seen Maverick or anyone else demonstrate the use of internal cinch straps in Bihn luggage. Is there a photo or video demo anywhere on the OBOW site?

The internal cinch straps in Tom Bihn bags work the same as in every other bag that has them. You put what you're packing in the bag, place the straps over that, connect them and tighten. Is a movie really necessary for something that simple?

I've only seen them on a couple of bags. I'm new to the notion of "carry-on luggage", so everything I had seen pre-Bihn is cheap and poorly designed.

That's why I asked.

Internal compression straps work the same way regardless of the size of bag. The only real difference is the type of connector used.

I tried to find a video to show you how they work but couldn't find any.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0