Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Introducing the Little Swift

Bag Diet tougher than real diet.

Let me rephrase that, Tom Bihn bags diet is tougher than food diet.

A couple of years ago, I would never think that but...

I have been able to limit my purchase and thus access to empty calories food and I feel way better for it!

I am always exited to see new product and plot my next order with this and that item.

As a result, I am never on a Tom Bihn Bags & Accessories diet, especially since there is the Blog and the Forum to keep us informed.

Mea

ORDER!!!! Bwah ha ha ha

Just placed my order for the Little Swift in Cork (although, I'll be secretly referring to MY bag as the "Swiftette") :-P I also picked up a Large Cafe Bag in Punch/Wasabi along with some accessories. I was really torn on the LS between the hemp and the cork but I like the more organic look to the cork. As for the Cafe Bag, I'm going to put it to work immediately. I'm very excited about the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mea View Post
    Just placed my order for the Little Swift in Cork (although, I'll be secretly referring to MY bag as the "Swiftette") :-P I also picked up a Large Cafe Bag in Punch/Wasabi along with some accessories. I was really torn on the LS between the hemp and the cork but I like the more organic look to the cork. As for the Cafe Bag, I'm going to put it to work immediately. I'm very excited about the whole thing.
    I hope you got the Absolute Strap for the Large Cafe Bag.

I have 3 Large Cafe Bags and I love them dearly.

I have used the Plum/Steel with my pink/purple outfits and the Sapphire/Steel with my blue/teal outfits if I have a lot to carry the Swift of the same color makes the trip with me. (trip to the library or the doctor/dentist)

I bring back books from the library and you know how time wasting doc trips are. So I need paperwork, the small needlework project which fits on a Regular Stuff Sack, 1 or 2 Contigo cups (insulated spill proof cups) and a healthy snack.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-27-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Stiffness/Slouch

Maybe Darcy can enlighten us as to the stiffness/slouch factor for each fabric. 'Slouchy' bags are easier to carry and jam into places, but sometimes it's nice to have a 'stiff' bag that will stand up on it's own.

Many thanks!

wow, just came across the Little Swift and I'm in love with the hemp version. I really cannot afford a bag right now but, wow... beautiful!
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Volunteer Moderator
    the little swift looks so cute! i'm no knitter, but i'm trying to find an excuse for getting the little swift!

the clear organizer wallet in ultrasuede, vulcana hemp/recycled rubber and kiwi ballistic nylon also sound awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by TeresTala View Post
    Maybe Darcy can enlighten us as to the stiffness/slouch factor for each fabric. 'Slouchy' bags are easier to carry and jam into places, but sometimes it's nice to have a 'stiff' bag that will stand up on it's own.

Many thanks!
    Tom has designed the Little Swifts to make them stand on their own. In the blog picture you can see that the Little Swifts have a dark band of fabric at the base but the Swifts do not.

My Swifts are ballistic nylon, they have the ease of carry of soft bags because ballistic is strong and light.
    Cork is even smoother, I only have a Pouch in this fabric but I can feel the smoothness.

The addition of dyneema and Urethane pockets stiffens the sides of the all Swifts, it is enough to keep the sides upright, even if the pockets are stuffed to the gill (trust me I have done that in more than one occasion).

But Dyneema, Urethane and Ballistic Nylon are not heavy so it doesn't feel like you are carrying a ton, even if the bag is full.

The only times I really felt the weight of my Swifts was when there were full of hardback books from the library.

I imagined that the Litte Swift Ultrasuede bag is slightly heavier but I was wrong.
    I have checked the weight on the website.

Weights:
    Recycled Rubber/Hemp: 1lb (450 grams)
    Waterproof Ultrasuede: 12.4 oz (350 grams)
    Cork: 13.4 oz (380 grams)
    1050d U.S. ballistic nylon: 13.2oz / 375gr

Predictably the Recycled Rubber/Hemp is heavier but the most eco-friendly and has a very classical look.

Utrasuede is really rich looking especially in that gorgeous Cacao.

In my opinion, the Littlle Swift is dressy enough to make a cute evening bag, Ultrasuede is the dressiest.

The only time it might be too big is a very formal, tuxedo and long dresses affair. At those time, only those tiny evening bags and envelopes will do.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresTala View Post
    backpack is right: the "rand" that Tom added to the bottom of all Swift bags help them stand up on their own much better, no matter the material you choose.

That said, the Vulcana Hemp/Recycled Rubber is definitely the stiffest of all the materials, closely followed by the Cork.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

The Ultrasuede looks yummy. Maybe someday there'll be an Ultrasuede Large Cafe Bag (in black)?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    The Ultrasuede looks yummy. Maybe someday there'll be an Ultrasuede Large Cafe Bag (in black)?
    there was talk of an ultrasuede cafe bag some time back.

the little swift in ultrasuede looks beautiful! i think an ultrasuede cafe bag would be just lovely!

I thought I had all the bags I could ever want since I bought the Side Effect and Synapse for daily use. What else could anyone need? Two Swifts for knitting; an Aeronaut for travel, a couple of shop bags that live in the bottom pouch of the Synapse.

And now the little swift! I have no idea which material to get. I'm tempted to buy an organizer pouch in each material to help with the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mrae View Post
    I thought I had all the bags I could ever want since I bought the Side Effect and Synapse for daily use. What else could anyone need? Two Swifts for knitting; an Aeronaut for travel, a couple of shop bags that live in the bottom pouch of the Synapse.

And now the little swift! I have no idea which material to get. I'm tempted to buy an organizer pouch in each material to help with the decision.
    I think buying an Organizer Pouch in each material is -the- way to go.

I have an Organizer Pouch in Cork and it so nice and soft, well... I love the fabric.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0