Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    This looks to be another home-run by Team Bihn. I can see myself using the Co-Pilot as a book bag for college. Also, it's almost preternatural your timing on it's release. Did everyone catch what is happening at Spirit Airlines? They will be charging for the bags in the overhead but the bags under the seat are still free. http://tinyurl.com/y9kmp37

Congrats, TB and crew on another fine product!
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    It's so fun reading all your thoughts the Co-Pilot! I think it's such a versatile bag - great for air travel, of course, but also all other kinds of travel. Our prototype has already been on a long ferry ride and a car road trip (it's a good bag to keep up front for items you want quick access to...cds, water bottle, snacks, maps, etc.) It makes a great overnight bag. The possibilities are endless! Now, because I can't have the prototype (factory needs a sew-by sample), I just have to decide on color for the one I'll get in June...
    Last edited by Katy; 04-06-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Very nice indeed! I agree, this bag may be perfect for a DSLR camera bag...would love to see pics of the bag with a camera, extra lens, etc.

I agree with Shiva about the size.
    I am looking for something that is flexible enough to hold either my macbook 13" or my iPad. This would have been perfect if it was an 1-1.5" longer. It's such an awesome bag otherwise. It's tough to find a small bag for small laptops that's versatile and clean looking. Please consider offering a slightly larger size option.

P.S.
    I'm a current Aeronaut owner and I love it! I'm looking for a reason to buy the new one with the compression straps.

Lightbulb Camera Insert evolution

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Very nice indeed! I agree, this bag may be perfect for a DSLR camera bag...would love to see pics of the bag with a camera, extra lens, etc.
    Maybe this new bag concept evoluted from the camera insert prototype.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

The Co-Pilot really looks like the perfect personal item. Totally gender-neutral. Fits even new personal item size criteria. Organized well, so that things can be found easily without digging. Small enough to be able to pick up without elbowing your neighbor or whacking them with your bag. Sturdy, room for a drink container, and space division without being fussy. It has nearly as much room as the large cafe bag, but with much more organization. Style-wise, and maybe this is because of it's purpose- but I don't think that's all of it, it reminds me of the vintage airline bags. The shoulder-bag carry-ons that would come with the airline logos on them. It doesn't really look exactly like any of them, but it seems reminiscent of them, which is cool. It sort of hearkens back to an earlier time of refined restraint, and a lack of excess.

That's my review, sight unseen. I wonder whether it's a bag that I would use outside of flying or travel. It looks like it would be really good at that. It would be better for quick access than a backpack, and it's probably small enough that carrying it as a shoulder-bag instead of a backpack wouldn't be uncomfortable. Those are the things I'd be concerned about for daily use or day-tripping.

I have to agree with Shiva.
    I love the bag. It's versatile and it's clean.
    It's almost the perfect size.
    One more inch would make it perfect for 13" laptops.
    I hope you guys will offer a slightly larger version.

keb
    Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    This looks to be another home-run by Team Bihn. I can see myself using the Co-Pilot as a book bag for college. Also, it's almost preternatural your timing on it's release. Did everyone catch what is happening at Spirit Airlines? They will be charging for the bags in the overhead but the bags under the seat are still free. http://tinyurl.com/y9kmp37
    The Western Flyer will also fit under the seat. I have actually put it under standing up. These two would probably both fit under the seat in front together...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    The Western Flyer will also fit under the seat. I have actually put it under standing up. These two would probably both fit under the seat in front together...
    A nice thought and you're probably correct..... BUT... (there's always a but) Spirit's rules allow for only 1 free "personal item" under the seat in front of you. Also, the article mentions that they may construct a new sizer to make sure your personal item fits. If that's the case, and the measurements noted in the article are accurate, the WF would be a no-go as it would be a couple of inches too long to fit in a sizer. If they just go by total linear inches, the WF is a win!!

Quote Originally Posted by addiopolis View Post
    The Co-Pilot really looks like the perfect personal item.
    Your review sums it up quite well - especially regarding the vintage airline bags. The Co-Pilot is somewhat similar in size to a Pan Am bag that belonged to Tom's dad, who was a pilot for the airline.
    Last edited by Darcy; 04-07-2010 at 11:08 PM.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I had a Pan Am bag. Cheap plastic that tore readily. This looks much better. Elegant treatment of the water-bottle pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    I had a Pan Am bag. Cheap plastic that tore readily. This looks much better. Elegant treatment of the water-bottle pocket.
    Yep: no comparison between the Pan Am bag and the Co-Pilot. See here!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Your review sums it up quite well - especially regarding the vintage airline bags. The Co-Pilot is pretty similar in size to a Pan Am bag that belonged to Tom's dad, who was a pilot for the airline.
    That was my first thought!

Absolutely fabulous!

It reminds one of cool sixties music, airlines with white gloves service and Pierre Cardin outfits with pill box hats.

A day without logging into Tom Bihn Blog and Forum and... a nice surprise.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-08-2010 at 01:54 PM.

This is so cool!

I'm in California on a trip right now! After sitting on a plane for 5 hours, I can see how this could fit right in...

Volunteer Moderator
    I've been thinking a lot about the Co-Pilot. In size and utility it seems to compete with Red Oxx's Gator bag. Since I bought a Gator some while ago, I at first thought buying a Co-Pilot would be excessive. However, upon further consideration, I am seriously considering getting the Co-Pilot in Dyneema because not only would it be lighter, it seems it would be easy to compress and would virtually disappear if one had to, for some reason, stuff it into one's main carry-on bag...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0