Smile Just ordered the Indigo Imago!

I just placed my order this morning for an Indigo/Plum/Steel Imago. Yes, I am another Bihn-aholic. I already own a beautiful Plum ID, an Olive/Cayenne Ristretto (1st gen), an Indigo Tri-Star, two Brain Cells, more Organizer pouches than I can keep track of, and an Indigo/Indigo Swift with which I am absolutely in love.

Maybe I don't own as many Bihn bags as maverick ;-). Still, you would think that the bounty I have would be enough. But recently I started to yearn for an Imago. The ID is a fantastic bag, and I trusted it enough to transport my cameras and Unibody Macbook (in a size 6 Brain Cell) on a journey to Edinburgh last year. But the ID is stiffer and more structured than I need on a daily basis, and it's also larger than I care to carry regularly. (I'm a 5'8" female.) I think it's the profile of the bag, in terms of how far it sticks out from my body when it's packed full, that seems bulky to me. Although I do tend to cram a lot in there. :P

I'd never really paid much attention to the Imago, but about three weeks ago it started haunting me. I belatedly noticed that it had been re-designed with a grab strap on top, which is a requirement for me. It also has those lovely Ultrasuede side zip pockets that I love so much on my ID, and I like the zip pocket and curved open-top pocket under the flap. The simplicity of its main inner compartment also appeals to me, although a couple of years ago I didn't like that about it at all. I was mesmerized by all the pockets and pen slots inside bags by other makers, thinking they weren’t just nifty, but necessary as well. However, I quickly got frustrated because I could never find anything when I wanted it inside all those nifty pockets. Now the way the Imago is designed makes absolute sense to me. Organizer pouches are far better than a plethora of pockets. I love the Clear Organizer pouches, because I can build a modular organizing system for my stuff that suits me, and I can instantly see what's in any pouch.

I’ve spent the last month reading every Imago post on the forum. Thanks so much to everyone for sharing your experiences. They helped me make up my mind, and I finally did order my new Indigo Imago. Hurray! I love Indigo in ballistic nylon in the Tri-Star and Swift; it will be interesting to see if it looks any different in Cordura, and how it looks paired with Plum.

Now I'm eagerly counting the days to my new treasure arrives. I'll try to post photos when it does.

Congrats ncb4 on your new purchase! I like my Imago in Steel. It has proven a most excellent bag. I look forward to your pictures being posted.

I agree that modular organization is a great technique. I too use the clear pouches for such and I will be adding a stuff sack with my next order as a quick to use, durable, sack that I can toss my pocket contents into when I need to do such. Rather than play hunt in my bag, I will have all that stuff segregated yet easily accessible. Also, the sack looks like it will scrunch up nicely when not in use. I had been using a medium clear pouch for the need, but the sack seems a much better fit.

I also will shortly be ordering again from Tom Bihn. I am just holding out a bit to see if the new stuff will be announced soon as I may include them in my order, such items as the Field Journal. I will be getting either a Tri-Star or an Aeronaut. I keep waffling between the two. They are both such good bags! I think I will have to resign myself to the fact that I will get both (though not at the same time.) That way, I can have my cake and eat it too, haha. So as I am typing this, I am thinking Aeronaut but as I have been bouncing back and forth, I won't say that is a lock. I think I will send Darcy an email to see if I can get a sense about when the new stuff will be announced for pre-order.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

I too look forward to your report when you get your Imago. It's my new favorite everyday bag, because it's big enough for my small laptop with plenty of room for everything else I need in my day to day like--papers, books, makeup, waterbottle, sunglasses, etc.

It's also the perfect size for a "personal item" on a plane. And it looks so attractive, too. Stylish without being silly-trendy, at home in casual and business settings. Mine is in steel, cork, wasabi, and it has bumped my cafe bags from everyday work use. (Though I still use my cafe bags when I don't have to tote the laptop along.)

My only gripe is that I could use a few pen slots between the inside pockets. But that just demotes the bag from platonically perfect to pretty darn close to perfect.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I bought an Imago in August and it is the *only* bag I have used since then!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

I ordered an Aeronaut and a stuff sack!

I'll post pics in a new thread when I get it.

How's the Imago working out for you, ncb4?
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Imago arrived today!

I just now received my new Imago, so I haven't had any time to play with it yet....but it's gorgeous. I love the Indigo/Plum combination; the color is slightly different than the ballistic Indigo on my Swift, with perhaps a little less sheen. But it's still a beautiful fabric, and my first impression is that it looks so much more solid and even luxurious than bags by other makers. (My two Timbuk2 Metros found new homes today on eBay.)

I will post more photos tomorrow, I hope, and some first impressions once I've had a chance to organize the bag to my heart's content. Right away I can tell that I'm going to like the size. It's not small, but it's definitely less imposing in bulk than my ID, and so I think I'll find myself going to the Imago as my daily bag.

And I was excited to get the Matterhorn sticker as well. :P

Now let's see if I can get this first photo to post.

Name:  MyImago.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  59.0 KB
    Last edited by ncb4; 03-29-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Congrats, that is a gorgeous bag! :

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    Congrats, that is a gorgeous bag! :
    Ditto! Those colors look wonderful together!

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I am so happy that I finally decided to get the Imago. I agree that the colors go together beautifully, and you should see it in person. The colors look fairly accurate, on my monitor at least, but you can never get the full effect in a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    Thanks guys! I am so happy that I finally decided to get the Imago. I agree that the colors go together beautifully, and you should see it in person. The colors look fairly accurate, on my monitor at least, but you can never get the full effect in a photo.
    If we see it in person, we might never see it again,

Better put a GPS on that puppy.

By the way, any genuine puppy dog or cat you might share your life with will also benefit from that technology.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0