Red face Archetype, anyone?

I know that everything evolves and changes....and sometimes yesterday's designs, however cool they may have been, must give way to newer and more efficient and user-friendly ones...

In the words of a French poet of the Middle Ages, 'Where are the snows of yesteryear? They are melted....and shall never return again..."

In that spirit, I'm wondering what happened to what seems to be an insanely cool and elegant design of a protective TB laptop case/holder which I believe predated the Brain Cell...

...I'm talking about the semi-rigid protective cork-bodied Archetype.

What a remarkable and cool design.

I understand the modular nature of newer TB bags makes the Brain Cells - with not only their structure but also their ability to clip to the insides of bag and thus not potentially bounce about - probably makes them in some and perhaps many ways functionally superior to the Archetypes of yesteryear....

But, damn...that was an elegant design.

And....just out of curiosity....and perhaps this is not the right place to ask this but I'm curious....would it be possible to find someone who had outgrown their older Archetype and/or replaced it with a newer Brain Cell and/or no longer needed it....and they might be willing to recycle it to a new home? (hint hint nudge nudge wink wink?)

Whether that's possible or not....may the Archetype Design.....R.I.P.

Miguel

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The Archetype is very cool - it's still what I primarily use to carry my 15" MBP. And no, I'm not parting with it! There may be a new version of the Archetype someday...we'll see.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The Archetype is very cool - it's still what I primarily use to carry my 15" MBP. And no, I'm not parting with it! There may be a new version of the Archetype someday...we'll see.
    hey darcy!

how about making the cache with cork fabric?

Ooooohhh! Perfect idea!
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hey darcy!

how about making the cache with cork fabric?
    I'm afraid Cork isn't best suited for applications where it would be creased with seams.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    I'm afraid Cork isn't best suited for applications where it would be creased with seams.
    how about if we make another case like the checkpoint flyer laptop case, but use cork for the exterior? next, how about if we add a second poron filled handle? finally, how about if we add two d-rings?

i think that will give us something very similar to the archetype. call it archetype 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    how about if we make another case like the checkpoint flyer laptop case, but use cork for the exterior? next, how about if we add a second poron filled handle? finally, how about if we add two d-rings?

i think that will give us something very similar to the archetype. call it archetype 2.0.
    The process of flame-lamination necessary to make the Checkpoint Flyer case or the Cache is a pretty huge endeavor - something that takes a lot of time and is very, very expensive. It's unlikely we'd add cork anytime soon, but never say never!

Volunteer Moderator
    The process of flame-lamination necessary to make the Checkpoint Flyer case or the Cache is a pretty huge endeavor - something that takes a lot of time and is very, very expensive. It's unlikely we'd add cork anytime soon, but never say never!
    hey darcy,

just read a couple of articles - flame-lamination sounds like a very cool process!

Maybe the Archetype could come back as a simple briefcase without padding.
    Just a case intended for paperwork and a tablet or e-reader in its TB case.

If the horizontal or vertical Freudian Slips could fit inside it would be a bonus or it could be used inside a Cork Swift as a case inside a bag, perfect for knitting, needlepoint, crocheting or other crafts patterns.

Darcy, you said: "I'm afraid Cork isn't best suited for applications where it would be creased with seams." Does this mean it's inadvisable to flatten a cork Swift for packing inside another bag (i.e., the bottom shouldn't be folded up)?

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Darcy, you said: "I'm afraid Cork isn't best suited for applications where it would be creased with seams." Does this mean it's inadvisable to flatten a cork Swift for packing inside another bag (i.e., the bottom shouldn't be folded up)?
    For short-term, it's not a problem - it's the long-term crease of the seam that could be a problem.

Just wondered if there was still any possible plans to bring back the Archetype. I just started a new job, and while I was waiting on the new boss, all I could think about was what an impression that cork would make! Unfortunately, I found Tom Bihn AFTER they stopped production of the 13" model. I may have to look into the Little Swift as a second option, but what I really want is that Archetype!! My punch Large Cafe bag just doesn't fit the bill!

I'm so sorry I missed the Archetype! Count me in as interested in a revival.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0