Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

View Poll Results: What would you get?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buzz!

5 45.45%
  • ID and Brain Cell

2 18.18%
  • Smart Alec

3 27.27%
  • There are people who can help you.

1 9.09%

Question If you could only have one bag, which one?

Hello Bihn-people!

I found a link to the Tom Bihn site on a Mac site recently, and since then I've been lusting for a Bihn bag like Anna Nicole at a Krispy Kreme.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a bag whore.

Anyway, I'll soon be getting a 12" powerbook, and I need a cool bag to carry that and a small digicam, phone, flashlight, iPod, notebook, maybe a book or two, and whatever else I might need to throw in. Y'know, the usual.

I've decided to be good and only buy one(!) bag. I've narrowed it down to the Buzz, ID, and maybe the Smart Alec.

I love messenger bags, like the ID, but I've already got a Waterfield Cargo. But it's a bit heavy to carry for long periods of time. And I'd have to get the brain cell too (I'd have to!) for $50 more.

I don't usually like sling bags, but the Buzz looks pretty sweet and it's got a spot for the 12" PB. So it's cheaper than the ID/Brain Cell combo. But I don't know if it's big enough to hold everything I need.

The Smart Alec looks really cool, but may be a bit too big.

So my question, good people, is this:
    If you could only get one bag, which would you get and why?

Thanks a heap,
    plaidboy

P.S. A second question for those who have one:
    Cafe Bag...medium or large?

nik

Get yerself a backpack, buddy!

You want a backpack if you're carrying anything at all beyond your Powerbook.

I have a 12" myself, and it, plus necessary cables for travel, plus a mouse, all comes to about 5.5 lbs., which is a pretty good bit of weight. Add to that an iPod, a few DVDs, a book, a notebook, some pens and a wallet, and a water bottle, and you've got yourself ten pounds at the least.

Do you want to carry that on your shoulders, let alone on both of 'em?

If you have a backpack with a waist strap, you'll be much, much happier, and the weight will sit better on you. (Looks like The Buzz does the same thing, but man, so TINY!) Also a lot easier to carry a backpack when you're getting around with a cycle/skateboard/segway/rocket shoes.

If you do want something lighter to carry just the laptop now and then, get a strap for your Brain Cell and jam the power cord into the pocket on it. Instant lightweight laptop bag!

I just got a Brain Bag, and love the thing, but if you want something smaller, the Smart Alec looks like a good fit.

The Buzz is a wonderfully designed bag. It will carry everything you describe if your book is thin. If you want to carry multiple books or one big one then I agree that a backpack is the way to go.

I have the Brain Bag and load it every day with a 12" PowerBook, iPod, digicam, cell phone, a book or two, some papers in the Freudian Slip and a water bottle. It is a well designed bag that is superbly constructed.

At the same time it is huge and fully loaded quite heavy. It is as comfortable as that amount of weight can be. Lately I've been wondering if perhaps I carry too much.

But a heavy amount of weight on the shoulder is no fun.

The Buzz is pretty comfortable to carry even very fully loaded.

Please let us know what you decide and I hope this helps.

I really like bags too.

Thanks for the replies so far. I've been looking at the bags again. I think I'm leaning towards the Buzz in Crimson right now even though it looks pretty small....I should try to cut back on the stuff I carry.

Strange, last I checked, all the bags were shipping in September, now they're all shipping in mid-November. Maybe I don't have to worry about this for a while.

Thanks again!

-plaidboy

Originally posted by plaidboy
    Thanks for the replies so far. I've been looking at the bags again. I think I'm leaning towards the Buzz in Crimson right now even though it looks pretty small....I should try to cut back on the stuff I carry.

Strange, last I checked, all the bags were shipping in September, now they're all shipping in mid-November. Maybe I don't have to worry about this for a while.
    I apologize - according to customer service, I got the last of this batch of crimson Buzz bags It arrived a day ago, and it's beautiful.
    The Buzz is indeed tiny by backpack standards, but it's just right for my shuttling between work and home. The laptop pocket within the larger rear pocket is ample room for my Latitude X300, and I can also carry my extended battery, power supply, external DVD drive, and a book or two (not giant textbooks, of course). The front pocket carries my wallet, PDA, headset, and the random collection of little things I always carry (chapstick, ibuprofen, pen, gum...). Oh, and yes, the cellphone pocket on the strap is just right.

I found the Buzz particularly good for my bike commute - it fit comfortably and I never felt it slipping.

If all you really need to fit is the "small digicam, phone, flashlight, iPod, notebook, maybe a book or two, " and 12" Powerbook, the Buzz will work. Beyond that, there won't be much room left, though. If you're willing to wait for the next batch, the Buzz is awesome.

Curses...foiled again! I guess I'll just have to wait until November. But I do hope you enjoy your new bag. It looks pretty sweet.

I have seen several people who asked for special color combos of bags while they were still in production and had the heavens shine down on them.

Perhaps I might make a special request for a black/silver/sapphire Buzz? Or perhaps black/steel/wasabi? Whaddya think? Too ugly?

Of course I would be happy with crimson, too.

-plaidboy

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0