Cool Tom Bihn Anticipation Syndrome

Well, I got it again: Tom Bihn Anticipation Syndrome. I have an order en route and due to arrive the 10th, but I am checking the UPS site daily just in case for some reason it arrives here early. Maybe they have to rush the package next to mine and I will get it sooner, ya know?

It's like that Christmas Eve anticipation feeling of my childhood every time I have an order coming from Tom Bihn.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

What's in your order?

I just got back from a run to the discount drugstore with the Large Shop Bag: two four-packs of toilet paper and two packages of cookies. Then a bakery stop for some croissants. Brought everything home hands-free. A few days ago, ditto for some cans of cat food, a bag of cat litter, and produce from the fruit cart. Love those padded handles.

Yesterday I visited a friend on the Upper West Side. We stopped in at the West Side Market, and I picked up a large cucumber, a chunk of cheese, and a pound of coffee beans ($4.99 a pound, two dollars less than in my neighborhood). It all went into the Synapse; the Small Shop Bag stayed tucked away in the bottom outside pocket. Hands-free!

I suspect I'm a shallow person, because nice things make me happy—especially the Synapse and the Large Shop Bag. If I had been able to buy these bags decades ago, I wouldn't have bought all the bags now taking up space in my closet.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post

What's in your order?

... If I had been able to buy these bags decades ago, I wouldn't have bought all the bags now taking up space in my closet.
    Well, my order started out as just an ultrasuede cafe strap wrap and a medium pouch to keep it company in shipping. But, the strap wrap was back-ordered, so I just kind of kept adding to my order. :P

When all was said and done, after emailing my updates to a very patient and understanding Casey, I think I'll be getting the following, but I have not seen an updated manifest so the arrival will bear this true or not.

Order as it was last left (presuming I recall correctly):

2 Ultrasuede Cafe Bag Strap Wraps
    1 Clear Organizer Pouch, Medium
    1 New Absolute Strap
    1 Kit (Indigo)
    2 four inch key straps
    2 eight inch key straps
    1 Medium Cafe Bag (Linen - saw a pic in the forum, had to have it - the only purely impulse buy in the list - and why I need two Ultrasuede straps)
    1 Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (They won't be making anymore in Solar)
    Various findings/hardware to make my present Absolute Straps transferable. (So I can swap around the new one.)

I tell myself it's OK, I am saving on the shipping. :P

My next order I am planning differently. I plan to make an order in March, for an Empire Builder or Zephyr (I keep waffling between the two), maybe a Tri-Star, very possibly the field journal (if it can accommodate the Junior Circa), maybe a Dyneema version of the wallet (its Dyneema, how cool is that?!?), and a few other things that pop up I am sure. The difference is I will make the order in one shot, and get the vetting done before I place an order. Also, I have decided that I will plan at least two buying sprees a year at Tom Bihn, so I if I do miss something I will just add it to the next order list. No stress, just add it forward

I too have the Shop Bag (original size), and I carry it in my Large Cafe Bag. I use it when I go shopping. Such a pleasure, no hassling with cheap bags, very comfortable handles, it really enhances my shopping experience. I didn't realize how anxiety ridden shopping was until that anxiety was sent away by using the Shop Bag. No muss with a clap trap cart, no sticky basket with sneezed on handles, no biting-my-hand cheapo bag, just a saunter through the store with my Shop Bag and its luxurious handles. I take my time, it's great. I am thinking about the Large Shop Bag too, but the small is working out for me fine. It also keeps me in line while shopping; reminds me not to over-buy.
    Last edited by ex machina; 12-04-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo corrected
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    I suspect I'm a shallow person, because nice things make me happy—especially the Synapse and the Large Shop Bag.
    Quality and aesthetics are discerned and appreciated. I don't see that as shallow at all; I see that as a mark of intelligence.

"I tell myself it's OK, I am saving on the shipping." That's what happened with my last order, while I was waiting for the Synapse to ship.

Definitely, the Shop Bag makes the chore less of a chore. I hate hand-carrying. Also, I can drop a pen, shopping list, and reading glasses (for ingredients labels) into one of the pockets.

I hope you like the Kit as much as I do. It looks good and feels good. You picked the right color.

Thanks Casey, my order came fine! :)

My order arrived in good shape and I am very happy. I have already started using the Medium Cafe Bag (Linen/Olive) and it is great! I really like the color. I have added the new strap wrap to both my Medium Cafe Bags and I am very happy. The Strap Wrap is excellent. The Ultrasuede of it is very luxurious. I really like it. I got one set of findings (no charge!) to convert one of my existing Absolute Straps and the bag it was on (Imago) so I now have a removable Absolute Strap on my Imago. I want to talk about that a little bit. By adding the hardware/findings to enable the bag to have a detachable strap, it also added length to how low the bag can be carried. It hangs even better now. I really like the overall effect. Fantastic!

The new absolute trap is tremendous! I have two of the previous absolute straps and there is a real difference. Wider is better, as it spreads out the load more. I now use the new Absolute Strap on the heaviest bag I am carrying, and the older Absolute Strap on lighter loads. I am real happy with the new strap.

All of the items in my order are so nice. I still need one set of findings to convert one more bag/strap combo (my Large Cafe Bag in Cocoa/Wasabi) and I am really looking forward to how that will have the bag hang for me when it is done. I will ask for the findings/hardware in my March order.

As usual, I am very happy with my order from, and dealings with, Tom Bihn. I would like to particularly thank Casey the shipping guru for his efforts on my behalf. I am sure he is very busy, particularly at this time of year, and he handled several additions to my order (I was on pre-order for the Strap Wrap), and it all worked out well. Thank you Casey!

The Kit is really nice. I now have Indigo in my collection! I also have the Steel Cordura on a medium clear pouch too. These two new colors to my collection are great. Not just in their own right, but I can use them as swatches when i consider future bag purchases. One of the things I really like at Tom Bihn is that you get such a variety of pouch colors. It works out great. They are all defacto swatches too. Better than a swatch, they are a useful item in and of themselves.

I have finals this week, but I plan to post some pictures by the end of the month, after finals and after I have recouped! Merry Christmas, y'all!

Hi ex machina, so glad all your items in your latest order makes you happy... Nothing like anticipating a Tom Bihn delivery to keep you on edge... so now you can relax! Good luck on your finals!!!
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

keb

A Day Early!

Even better when the goodies arrive unexpectedly a day early!!! Just a new Absolute Strap, a few pouches, clear and navy wallets, and way cool luggage tags, but still....
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Thanks to an influx of funds, I decided to spoil myself and finally get the Swift I've been craving for months. I was waiting for plum/black to come back in stock, but then I saw the indigo swatch on the Flickr thread and got an indigo/black Swift. I can't wait to get it, my current project has outgrown my yarn stuff sack

Now to click refresh on the UPS tracker every two hours. ^_~
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Quote Originally Posted by DQBunny View Post
    Now to click refresh on the UPS tracker every two hours. ^_~
    Yay DQ! Be sure to post about your order so we can all drool over what you get.

BTW, there is a blog post that you might find helpful. It has all kinds of cool tracking techniques.

I am still hold up for the upcoming bags <_<
    Check out my Size Fit Tool for TB's Laptop Bags (H/V Brain Cell and Cache), extensible to other bags in general

Quote Originally Posted by bagman View Post
    I am still hold up for the upcoming bags <_<
    Me too bagman. The new product schedule also worked out well with my biannual plan towards Tom Bihn purchases. My next planned purchase is in March. I will make my final decision on which bags and accessories I will be getting for the order at that time, and if I miss out, I will just include what I want in the next order (probably December.)

At present, I am leaning toward an Aeronaut. After a recent trip I realized that the Aeronaut may better suit my present needs than the Tri-Star (as I will not be traveling internationally in the foreseeable future.) I also suspect my entire wardrobe can fit in the Aeronaut.

I sure wish there is some update on this. I keep checking the Blog daily for any updates regarding the new products, but... sigh!
    Check out my Size Fit Tool for TB's Laptop Bags (H/V Brain Cell and Cache), extensible to other bags in general

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0