Question Special Editions and One Off Bags

Are there any bags that can be gotten only by visiting the factory? If not, I think it would be a neat idea to start.

Also, what happens to the various experimental design bags? Some bags don't make it to a full production model, but I bet they are still neat bags. Are they sold at all?

I like the idea of a one off Tom Bihn bag.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

There might be. There was something when I visited in February.

Regular customers and forum posters also sometimes get a christmas present - the last two year's items eventually became available for purchase.

I think most of the prototypes get tested and modified to destruction so there won't be any of those around.

Audrey

Hi, ex machina.

As an East Coaster, I say, good for you if you can get a restricted item by visiting the store—and please don't frustrate the rest of us by talking about it.

Lightbulb !

gmanedit, I live in New York City! I would just view such a bag as another reason to visit Seattle. The Seattle city council might want to commission such a bag. I think it would expand tourism!
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

ex machina, I live in NYC too. Two weeks ago I had my first TB sighting, on the Lexington Avenue bus. He was wearing a version 1 Smart Aleck. I went up to him and said something appropriate. He said, "How did you know?" I said, "I'd know that bag anywhere!" I don't know who he was; he said he doesn't post in the forum.

How cool is that? Did he say how he came to know the Bags of Bihn? My initiation into the Tom Bihn sect was by following a post I uncovered on the web while searching for a new messenger bag. Suddenly I saw an owner post on his blog about the ID. I was amazed. I followed up to the site, and now I am a Bihn Bag man. The forum has been very helpful (fun too), and the customer service is excellent (it's the whole Tom Bihn culture really). Dealing with Tom Bihn raises ones standards. I can't think of any other company that comes close. Now when I deal with other places even on non-luggage items, I find myself a tad disappointed, though not surprised, when the customer support is below the Bihn level. Tom Bihn is my bell weather for how a business should be run.

Thumbs up Presents from Tom Bihn

@falconea: I have been the recipient of such! I recieved a Tom Bihn wallet one day and it was quite a welcome surprise. What a shot in the arm! What other company is so thoughtful and appreciative of its customers? Tom Bihn is THE STANDARD. They made my week and I still to this day am touched by their generosity and thoughtfulness. I'm a customer for life. Now how do we spread that portable culture to the rest of the world? One bag at a time!

Sorry, he didn't say. What he did say: he wished he'd gotten the red color panel instead of the gray (I liked the gray), and he was really glad to have it on such a night (torrential rain).

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Sorry, he didn't say. What he did say: he wished he'd gotten the red color panel instead of the gray (I liked the gray), and he was really glad to have it on such a night (torrential rain).
    I really like the ballistic steel color too. I have that on my Imago, and it is a luxury for the eyes and hands. What a delicious fabric: the sheen, the weave, the smoothness of the texture, the flow of the fabric. Its a real pleasure to own and use it.

I agree, the ballistic nylon is something special. It's the reason for my dilemma over a laptop-friendly bag. I love the Ristretto because it's a vertical bag (which I find easier to carry) but the ballistic nylon in the Imago is just too awesome to ignore. *sigh* Maybe I need to get both!

Em.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0