Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Absolute Strap?

Practical Hacks blog is reporting a new Absolute Strap to be announced today? How is it I missed this? Or did we all miss this?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Practical Hacks blog is reporting a new Absolute Strap to be announced today? How is it I missed this? Or did we all miss this?
    It's actually a version of the Absolute Strap with a curved instead of a straight pad on the shoulder. Over four and a half years ago, I asked for something like this in a post in the original design thread for what became the Aeronaut. (And as a follow-up, since we were referencing our discussion to the strap on the then-current version of the ID Bag, Tom later redesigned the ID Bag to permit use of the Absolute Strap, and then provided a solution for users of the older ID Bag who wanted to use the Absolute Strap.)

For more discussion of the Absolute Strap, see the earlier thread, Practical Hacks Reviews the Absolute Strap

moriond

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Be sure to take a look at maverick's post with link to a video demo of the strap.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    I just got mine - it looks wonderful. Very solid. I'll be giving it a good test-run tomorrow - I plan to be lugging a packed Western Flyer across town on public transportation.

With the new shoulder strap comes the question: Which way should the strap curve, from an ergonomics standpoint? Should the ends of the curve be pointing toward, or away from your body?

I'm thinking away for same-side carry and toward for across-the-body carry, but I don't actually know.

Maverick, your video is outstanding, as usual.

Just, make sure you give a full report on the New Shoulder Strap/Aeronaut trip on public transportation, including which way you set up the strap.

Like the change. I have another brand of curved strap and it's the only one that comes close to my Absolute Straps. Nice to have the best of both worlds. I must buy one in about 18 years when my Absolute straps wear out.

It looks great. the ergonomic curve will be great. Patagonia used to make one --an ergonomic really well made shoulder strap that they used to call their Human Curve shoulder strap many years ago. Fantastic product; but like many of their products no longer made! I still have mine 10 years and going strong. So this will be a welcome addition to TB family.

Volunteer Moderator
    I was angry at myself for having overstuffed the Western Flyer AGAIN, but the new Absolute strap worked beautifully. I even set my other smaller bag on top of the Western Flyer while it was on my shoulder at the bus stop and barely noticed a thing. I bet if it were any other strap I'd be crying a minute into the entire ordeal.

Overall: Win. I think it was probably more comfortable carrying it shoulder-style with this new Absolute strap than it would have been with the backpack straps. That's saying a lot.

Also, I had the strap set up the way I described above: ends of the strap pointed away from my body.

Cool New Absolute Strap..

I'd like to hear feedback/reviews from people concerning the new Absolute eventually. Like, do they notice a difference, in how it wears, or hangs. I'm not so concerned with strength, as the old one seems plenty strong enough. I'm more interested in hearing about the new ergonomics, and how the extra length of the pad feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    With the new shoulder strap comes the question: Which way should the strap curve, from an ergonomics standpoint? Should the ends of the curve be pointing toward, or away from your body?
    I'll post pictures of someone modeling the strap soon, but it should be like:

| = your neck

) = the curve of the Absolute Strap

Wear like this if you're wearing it cross-body: |)

Wear like this if you're wearing it on one shoulder: )|

Does that make sense, or did I manage to confuse all of us even more?
    Last edited by Darcy; 10-26-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I posted pictures & a brief review this morning on my blog - www.practicalhacks.com

Darcy, I think you've got it backwards. The concave part of the shoulder strap should face the bag, and the convex part should be nearest your neck.

Oops! I was thinking of it as being worn cross-body.

Yes - in that case you're correct! kc

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I'll post pictures of someone modeling the strap soon, but it should be like:

| = your neck

) = the curve of the Absolute Strap

Wear like this if you're wearing it cross-body: |)

Wear like this if you're wearing it on one shoulder: )|

Does that make sense, or did I manage to confuse all of us even more?
    Makes perfect sense!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0