Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator

the barnes & noble nook ebook reader will fit in the tom bihn kindle 2 sleeve

hi folks,

barnes & noble today released their nook ebook reader.

the nook is sized at 7.7" x 4.9" x 0.5" and should fit nicely in the tom bihn sleeves designed for the amazon kindle 2.

Nothing like a friendly price war in time for holiday shopping!

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks for the heads-up, maverick!

Yes, I was surprised and pleased! I'm glad i waited to buy a new Kindle.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

You and me both, Megs. I've been holding off on a Kindle, too. Mostly because I couldn't decide between the regular or the DX. I've decided the regular is fine. Now this from B&N.

I'll probably hold off until they are in the B&N stores to see one hands on.

Don't forget about the Sony reader.

I could bet that more brands are going to come out of the woodwork sooner or later, including, most probably one from Apple, which will come with a twist, something different enough to switch people to that product.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Don't forget about the Sony reader.

I could bet that more brands are going to come out of the woodwork sooner or later, including, most probably one from Apple, which will come with a twist, something different enough to switch people to that product.
    yes, there have been rumors of an apple tablet like device.

i think it will be more than an e-book. i want it to run os x, not just a derivative of the iphone os, and to support 720p video playback, have a solid state disk. it will have bluetooth, wifi, perhaps even some 3g/4g network connectivity support.

tom bihn will make a cache for it, or maybe introduce something altogether different.

Maybe this is straying a bit into the 'not about bags' catagory, but I recently picked up a refurbished first generation kindle... and I have to say I love the e-ink... so while I'm looking forward to the apple tablet (if it ever shows up)... I don't know that it will really replace a dedicated reader as a primary reading device. The Barnes & Noble reader looks like a great combination of the two technologies though. I would also kill for a bluetooth keyboard for my iPhone.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    yes, there have been rumors of an apple tablet like device.

i think it will be more than an e-book. i want it to run os x, not just a derivative of the iphone os, and to support 720p video playback, have a solid state disk. it will have bluetooth, wifi, perhaps even some 3g/4g network connectivity support.

tom bihn will make a cache for it, or maybe introduce something altogether different.
    That is why I purchased my Dell Mini 9. The dedicated Ebook readers are still too expensive. For that amount of money, I want it to do more.

If Apple does a tablet, it will have to be priced around $350 to be successful. Especially since the current netbooks can be hacked to load OS X.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    That is why I purchased my Dell Mini 9. The dedicated Ebook readers are still too expensive. For that amount of money, I want it to do more.

If Apple does a tablet, it will have to be priced around $350 to be successful. Especially since the current netbooks can be hacked to load OS X.

That was my choice as well.

We had a trip/event planned for labor day weekend, I hoped the new Apple device would come in July during the MacWorld expo, but they didn't announce anything.
    I tried to convince my husband that using my smart phone would be enough but he wanted to take our iBook, I knew it would mean rethinking my packing strategy and possibly have to check a non Tom Bihn Bag, which would have been a pain.

I went for an Eee PC and used a Cafe Bag for the netbook, point and shoot camera and small camcorder, all inside protective gear. The solution was stylish, lightweight and within the carryon luggage limit.

The Eee PC is a perfect ebook reader when paired with the free offerings of the Gutenberg project (copyright free book converted into digital books).
    There are books available in many languages and it is an invaluable source for scholars or people who like references and non fiction books, just like myself.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-21-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    That was my choice as well.

snip.....
    The Eee PC is a perfect ebook reader when paired with the free offerings of the Gutenberg project (copyright free book converted into digital books).
    There are books available in many languages and it is an invaluable source for scholars or people who like references and non fiction books, just like myself.
    Since I'm a SciFi fan, Baen Books is my favorite place. All their EBooks are DRM free and comes in several formats.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

One thing most people don't realize is that many ebook software companies make PC-version readers. There isn't much difference between the small netbooks and the current eInk book readers. The netbooks can do so much more - mine has replaced my tower completely. I think I've had my tower on three times since my software and settings were completely moved over and set up to my satisfaction.

I'm an old Pocket PC user. I absolutely refuse to be shackled into one format of ebooks. My old Jornada can read mbp, pdb, lit, and about five other formats. It's backlit. The battery works for about 12 hours at a shot, and I have car adapters and three batteries for it.

Don't get me wrong. I've bought lots of pdb format ebooks from Fictionwise - and the old Palm Digital Reader site (which BN now owns). But I've also gotten books from Baen, Project Gutenberg, and three universities (including Harvard) in lit format, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I've also converted my own Word files. I'm not going to give up those lit ebooks without a fight. Baen makes their books available in many formats, which is why they get the lion's share of my ebook money. Change my reader? Download the new file. I paid for the book, so if I want a new ereader why should I have to buy the whole efile again???? Converting 2500 ebooks would be a real hassle, if there will be a lit-to-nook converter available. Bet there won't be.

I'd have to download all the Baens again (into nook format), but the others might be lost orphans.

No, when my old Jornada finally goes to the great book reader in the sky, I'll give up to the inevitable and get either an iPhone or an iTouch, as both can read multiple format ebooks with their specialized apps. Failing that, I'll use my netbook to do it - and have the ability to check my email and do other things on the road at the same time. I already have four ebook software readers on it now - and I don't have to convert any file to read them.

If more people demanded cross-platform unity and compatibility there would be many more ebook users out there. At least Barnes and Noble finally got one thing right - users will be able to share their ebooks at last. We bought them, why CAN'T we loan them to a friend? Baen proved long ago that removing DRM was not only profitable but user-friendly.
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Completely agree with aiethabell.

I don't want to buy the same book twice, I want to be able to buy it and read it on my netbook or tower.

It would be mostly books for studies either philosophy and/or ethology.

I can't wait for textbooks to be available electronically as well.

The ridiculous price, heavy hard cover, many blank pages at the beginning of the book, wide margin on the side and the need from the author to get somebody in his/her field to write a useless blurb, wasting more paper, all that bugs me.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-22-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Interesting point backpack! I bought an e-book for one of my classes last year. It was so much cheaper! It would be neat if colleges/textbook companies started selling kindle versions! (if they already do disregard this comment. I'm not "with it" when it comes to kindle owning as I still don't have one)

I used to spend at least 300-400 on text books alone per quarter. Book buy backs are helpful but are not always a set in stone option. Many times I would buy a brand new book for class because the bookstore didn't have any used copies and when I would go to sell the book back the school had decided to go to a newer edition and I would be stuck with a book I would most likely never look at again.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

I used to read e-books on my iphone (Which has both kindle and B&N software as well as several others)... it's fine for short spans, but there is something qualitatively different about the e ink technology. It just reads better. Despite the screen flashes at page turns etc, I can get into my 'reader's trance' in a way I never could reading on my tablet or iphone.

Having said that I would HATE to use a kindle as a research tool... it's just too hard to flip around and find things when I need them (something I might never have considered dropping a bookmark for), checking passages against each other etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0