Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    Since I'm a SciFi fan, Baen Books is my favorite place. All their EBooks are DRM free and comes in several formats.
    If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can download books from the Baen Free Library, and any that you might purchase from Baen's webscriptions site into Stanza. To automatically add a link to this site, in the (Safari) web browser for your iPhone or iPod Touch, go to the www.webscription.net site, and click on "iPhone & iTouch with Webscriptions" at the top of the left sidebar. Then, click on the "Webscription Stanza link" icon and click the "Save" button on the page that loads. You can also change the icon if you double-tap on the icon and choose a new one before you "Save" the results. Also, check out the "Random House Free Library" entries under the Online catalog for Stanza's app.
    Quote Originally Posted by aiethabell View Post
    I'd have to download all the Baens again (into nook format), but the others might be lost orphans.
    Actually, you wouldn't since the nook supports epub format, which is probably the closest thing to a current EBook (DRM-free) standard.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-22-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added response to aiethabell's comment

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I can't wait for textbooks to be available electronically as well.

The ridiculous price, heavy hard cover, many blank pages at the beginning of the book, wide margin on the side and the need from the author to get somebody in his/her field to write a useless blurb, wasting more paper, all that bugs me.
    the textbook i use right now is available electronically, for about 60% of the cost of a new hard-copy book. some students really like that option, but others balk at it because they really want the opportunity to sell their books back at the end of the semester (regardless of how pitiful the amount might be).

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I used to read e-books on my iphone (Which has both kindle and B&N software as well as several others)... it's fine for short spans, but there is something qualitatively different about the e ink technology. It just reads better. Despite the screen flashes at page turns etc, I can get into my 'reader's trance' in a way I never could reading on my tablet or iphone.

Having said that I would HATE to use a kindle as a research tool... it's just too hard to flip around and find things when I need them (something I might never have considered dropping a bookmark for), checking passages against each other etc.
    OK, I'm more ambivalent about this. I probably read as much on my iPod Touch (Stanza or Kindle app) as on my Kindle. For that matter, I also read in print (I use the NY Times app on my iPod Touch, but I also read the paper edition), and like aiethabell I also read EBooks from different sources on my computer, though it's not the medium of choice. (My personal library also includes books on typography, font design, and book design -- not in electronic format.) The Kindle doesn't really work well for PDF files (even when journal papers are available that way), at least in the smaller size, and I suspect in the larger Kindle DX format that there are still issues with handling embedded images and figures. You can do a somewhat better job running the web page version of an online journal paper through a Stanza conversion to render the images in better fashion. However, for a view of using the Kindle DX for academic reasearch reading, see this post.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    However, for a view of using the Kindle DX for academic reasearch reading, see this post.

moriond
    Very interesting, Moriond; as PDF handling was one of my main reasons for giving the DX consideration. Thanks for the link.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlJ View Post
    Very interesting, Moriond; as PDF handling was one of my main reasons for giving the DX consideration. Thanks for the link.
    A couple of interesting developments with the Kindle, both in rendering and on the DRM front: see these two post from O'Reilly's Tools of Change for Publishing pages:

moriond

I have both a Kindle and an iPhone and I chafe at some of the limitations on the Kindle 1. Do I prefer using it over my iPhone? Absolutely yes. I prefer the larger screen and the less zap on battery life. The eInk is easy on my eyes and I do enjoy the experience. That being said, I think the nook is better for me than say an iTablet from Apple. I have no desire for one of those. I've got an iPhone and a MacBook.

As for getting books onto the nook, Calibre is my absolute best friend. I'm positive they'll find a way to convert native Kindle files to nook.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

I've been reading ebooks for over ten years, starting with my old Palm III. Right now my stable includes: Sony 505, Kindle 1, and Kindle DX. (I also have the old Sony 500 but I don't use it.) I'm looking at the nook because I read somewhere that it can easily take old Fictionwise books (and I have a lot of them).

Love all of the ones I have, especially the DX. It's helped me cut back on paper use enormously. Instead of printing out articles I want to take with me to read, I just send them to my DX. I also put scores of PDFs of research books on it (many of those are Google Books or from Gutenberg and the Internet Archive).

Yes, it would be great to be able to highlight and make notes on the PDFs, but I just treat the books as I would library books and either handwrite my notes or type them in on a computer. The DX stands up with either a standing cover I have or by using a regular book stand. It works well for me.

Note that articles I send to the DX are usually in .doc format and those you can highlight and make notes on.

Edited to add this side note: Amazon has just announced a PC Kindle program for reading on your PC (a Mac version is supposedly in the works). I do use the iPhone Kindle app, too.

And don't forget the Plastic Logic letter-sized reader, though the company has only announced that they'll announce more about it early next year. LOL

I'm still not sure if the Apple (i)Tablet will be real or not, but if it is, I am sooooo there.

What can I say? I love to read!
    Last edited by Foggy Morn; 10-23-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aiethabell View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I've bought lots of pdb format ebooks from Fictionwise - and the old Palm Digital Reader site (which BN now owns). But I've also gotten books from Baen, Project Gutenberg, and three universities (including Harvard) in lit format, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I've also converted my own Word files. I'm not going to give up those lit ebooks without a fight.
    It's not quite a lit-to-nook converter, but have you tried calibre? If your lit files are DRM-free, you can convert them to pdb, mobi or anything else you like using calibre. Free software, open source, works on every platform. I don't use anything else for library software, though I have Adobe Digital Editions and the B&N PC client on my PC.

I prefer reading on an eInk screen. I have two devices, a Cybook Gen3 and an EZReader Pocket Pro. The latter is really cute and small, and handles a LOT of formats natively. It supports ADE ePub and PDF DRM and they are rumored to be trying to get B&N DRM support on the device. Once B&N goes ePub-only, however, their books will work on just about every major device except the Kindle.

I know there are a lot of Mac users on this forum, and many of you, I dare say, have iPhones; there are apps for both Kindle and B&N for the iPhone, too. If the mythical Jesus Tablet ever appears and accepts iPhone apps, you seriously will be able to buy ebooks just about anywhere.
    Last edited by MaggieScratch; 11-11-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bluedawg View Post
    the textbook i use right now is available electronically, for about 60% of the cost of a new hard-copy book. some students really like that option, but others balk at it because they really want the opportunity to sell their books back at the end of the semester (regardless of how pitiful the amount might be).
    I am working on a 2nd Masters degree and have found the bigger majority of my textbooks in Kindle format! At a savings of 60-81% over hard copy textbook prices, I am elated! Not to mention the weight of the books I don't have carry any more!

I understand that more textbooks are becoming available each day! Go Kindle 2!
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

for those who don't know about it, you can really research ebook readers, book formats and all other things related to ebooks here:

http://www.mobileread.com

Me? while I have a Kindle, I prefer using my old Clie nx73v PDA or my Nokia N800 Internet Tablet. Something else to remember is Eink is a brand, not a technology. Just happens that brand was first to market in a large way. Other mfg's, including Samsung, will be producing their own tech device display panels throughout 2010. And we'll have color electrophoretic (eink style) panels near the end of 2010 or early 2011. But someone might surprise the market and bring a work production ready panel to market sooner.

As to the design of ereaders as research tools, pretty much none of them have come up with a design that is as efficient as books and a pad of paper. Like Loki mentions, it's just too tedious when trying to refer back and forth in a reference or between references. Worst part is they all have plenty of CPU power to do a better job of this, but the drivers are not there nor are the board designs. They seem to be spending more of their time adding other easy to implement features for the masses.

Resurrecting this to a degree... I am going to get a Nook in the not-too-distant future and wonder if others have actually used their Nook successfully with the Tom Bihn Kindle sleeve?

Thanks,

Howie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0