Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Any update>

I'm just curious as to what advantages a "field notebook" would have over a small black and white composition notebook size 4.5 x 3.25 for under $2 most office places? Will it have an attached rubber band/velcro to keep it closed? Will it have a pen holder, credit card sized calendar, or ruler built in? Will it be a field notebook "cover" with these features so users can just replace the actual notebook when filled up? Some of us aren't patient enough.

What advantage does a MoleSkine pocket (8 bucks) have over the $2 book you mentioned? WHat advantage does a Ferrari have over a Corvette?

Some things money can't quantify. I love my moleskines. Are they 7 bucks better than a normal notebook? Probably not. But writing in something used by 'Hemingway and Picasso' makes me feel good And at the end of the day, that's all that matters ...

eV

Quote Originally Posted by eVolcre View Post
    What advantage does a MoleSkine pocket (8 bucks) have over the $2 book you mentioned? WHat advantage does a Ferrari have over a Corvette?

Some things money can't quantify. I love my moleskines. Are they 7 bucks better than a normal notebook? Probably not. But writing in something used by 'Hemingway and Picasso' makes me feel good And at the end of the day, that's all that matters ...

eV
    Sadly...

http://socialuxe.com/2009/08/the-myth-of-the-moleskine/

http://www.thebrokenspoons.com/2009/...was-just-fake/

However, if you feel inspired by a particular notebook, despite the clever marketing myth, then that's all that matters. I love my Cavallini notebooks, despite people around me never hearing about them and sometimes poking fun at the art-deco covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Akilae View Post
    Sadly...

http://socialuxe.com/2009/08/the-myth-of-the-moleskine/

http://www.thebrokenspoons.com/2009/...was-just-fake/

However, if you feel inspired by a particular notebook, despite the clever marketing myth, then that's all that matters. I love my Cavallini notebooks, despite people around me never hearing about them and sometimes poking fun at the art-deco covers.
    Oh man! Next you're going to tell me that Santa Claus isn't real.

Now I can't buy any more because it's not just a myth. It's much worse. It's a fabricated lie to sell overpriced notebooks. It sucks, but thanks for showing me The Matrix.

Moleskine and the Macintosh are nothing but marketing hype, eh? Soooooo... superior quality and superior customer service from companies with a superior reputation are nothing more than marketing hype, and we should all just buy everything from Wal Mart based on price and specs... like Wal Mart doesn't hype itself through marketing...

I'm not buying this argument, and this seems a very strange forum to try flying that flag in.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Moleskine and the Macintosh are nothing but marketing hype, eh? Soooooo... superior quality and superior customer service from companies with a superior reputation are nothing more than marketing hype, and we should all just buy everything from Wal Mart based on price and specs... like Wal Mart doesn't hype itself through marketing...

I'm not buying this argument, and this seems a very strange forum to try flying that flag in.
    I don't know if you're replying to my post or not. Love my Mac. Hate WalMart and avoid it like the plague. Have bought Moleskine notebooks, but now that I know that they made up the myth of Hemingway, Picasso, etc I won't buy any more. It's not like I write much on paper anyways. Notes are usually made on my iPhone.

I'll withhold comment on Apple, since I don't own their products. However, if Moleskine stood behind their products like TB then I think all the "myth" they've built behind it would be well worth it. As it stands, their paper quality is inconsistent from batch to batch. I write with a fountain pen, and it's almost a guessing game trying to find a batch of Moleskine notebooks that will absorb the ink, which is why I eventually went with Cavallini. People on the Fountain Pen Network have been talking about it for years, some even emailed Moleskine, but the response is always the same "We source our paper, so we have no control over it." The real kicker? It's all made in China. For the prices they're charging, and the quality they offer, it's not worth it. I don't know if Cavallini really makes their own paper or sources it, but I've been using them for five years now and the paper has always been consistent.

Addendum: Just so it's clear that I'm advocating "quality for the price I'm paying" and not "lowest Wal-mart price", Cavallini journal that I use on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Eiffel-T...1779323&sr=8-9, $12.95. Moleskine notebook on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Rule...1779343&sr=8-2, $12.28.
    Last edited by Akilae; 08-31-2009 at 09:32 PM.

I cannot comment on Moleskine but I can comment about Apple.

I owned many Apple computers, from the AppleII, to the iBookG4 I am using to type those words.

I was a devotee of the brand until the handling of the faulty Invidia chip. Between 06 and 08, every laptop had a faulty Invidia chip which made the screen unusable or look crazy.

Invidia and all the laptops manufacturers, including Apple, decided on the "if we act like there is no problem, there is no problem" approach.
    Hence, many laptops owners had to loose a lot of time and money to get their faulty laptops "fixed", they could never be fixed since the companies would not or could not replace the faulty chip.

So many laptop owners had to buy another machine when they got fed up of getting the run around, it probably made a significant dent in their budget and had them put off other purchase.

I was never able to buy a fairly recent Apple machine below the $1000 dollar range.

The price I paid for Apple products had trust for a great product implied, I wanted truth from them about the Invidia chip.
    Apple never admitted that the chip in their laptops was faulty so it didn't have to take faulty laptop back and give refunds.

When Apple acted like any other cheap PC manufacturer, I saw no need to further support them.

Linux, is growing by leaps and bounds (it is free) and I can get a small netbook for a couple of hundred bucks.

To me, hype means nothing, I am not impressed by a logo or "cool factors", I want quality and reliability, first and foremost.

With Tom Bihn we get quality first, then a cute logo, a nice owner/designer and a great great team of expert bag makers behind every product.

In the forum, we also have Darcy, a very nice and informative person who is the link between Tom Bihn company and its core (passionate, anticipating every new products) customers.

Still, cannot wait for the Field Notebook!

I picked up a couple of new Levenger fountain pens and some fun colors of Noodler's and Diamine inks. Now all I need is a Field Notebook to use them in

I think Apple is the perfect example of marketing hype. Do they make good products? Yes, I love my iPod touch. Is Apple as good as it's fans and the marketing say? Not even close in my opinion. It might seem odd to say but Apple is a company making great products that is over hyped.

I just found a good example today. Here is an article on the latest OS and how Apple security isn't that perfect yet marketing and fans will tell you it's vastly superior. The truth is they haven't been a target ... well in forever because they are the minority in the market. So it's not really true to say you are more secure using the Apple OS, but it's more true to say you're less of a target using an Apple OS.

I would like to add that I believe we need to get back to buying quality american products, even if they are a little more expensive. Outsourcing has eliminated thousands of jobs and now our neighbors can no longer afford the Walmart stuff. Sidenote: Walmart is no longer running advertisements saying "Always Low Prices". I have seen some identical products cheaper at Target this year. USA may be more expensive, but that pays another american to be able to afford products that make their way back to you. Outsourcing has broken that self-supporting cycle. Cheaper goods is not cheaper after all, is it? We will be paying out the yin yang for the additional debt the treasury is pumping out to help us. Thank you Tom Bihn and other homeland manufacturers for trying hard to keep it at home!

The future we get tomorrow is result of what we buy today.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Update: we expect to have the Field Journal Notebook available for pre-order in October or November. It will ship in late December - mid-January. Stay tuned!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Update: we expect to have the Field Journal Notebook available for pre-order in October or November. It will ship in late December - mid-January. Stay tuned!
    hi darcy,

very excited to hear this!

i was thinking these would make great christmas presents! is there any way we could have them ready to ship by mid-december?

thanks!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0