Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

A Kindle/Netbook Ristretto is in the works.
    Yes!

Now I have to ask - the K2 or the DX?

(I'm hoping the latter, but my K1 (yes, I kept it when I bought the DX) would probably fit in a pouch made for the K2 as long as it wasn't too snug.)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy Morn View Post
    Yes!
    Now I have to ask - the K2 or the DX?
    Both! It will be a better fit for the DX.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

My new plum ristretto arrived last week, and I wanted to let you know that you can add the HP 2730p to the list of laptops it will accommodate beautifully.

One pleasant surprise was the way that the laptop compartment didn't extend all the way to the bottom of the bag. That extra space down there made it so that my power cables, or anything else appropriately sized, barely take any space from where I'd put my notebook.

Looking forward to the reveal of the smaller ristretto (<3 my sony reader).

We are coming up with a great shoulder pad wrap for the Small and Medium Cafe bags, though!

Put me first on the list for the wrap! Love my MCB but the plastic pad is not kind to my shoulder with summer clothing.
    Imago in cocoa/cocoa/wasabi, Medium Cafe Bag in plum/wasabi, Swift in cork, steel stuff sack, steel pen/pencil pouch, plum clear organizer wallet, small cork pouch and steel/cork/wasabi Imago

How big?

I'm trying to get a better idea of what will fit in a Ristretto before handing over my hard-earned to have one shipped to Australia.

Can someone give me an idea of how big the main compartment is? I mean the full depth compartment right next to the notebook sleeve.

Is it deep enough to fit a hardback book, say 1.5 inches thick?

Thanks

The Small and Medium Cafe bags definitely won't have d-ring attachment points - most feel that the Absolute, Standard Strap, etc. are too big/bulky for bags so small. We are coming up with a great shoulder pad wrap for the Small and Medium Cafe bags, though!

While I agree the Absolute would be a bit much for the Medium Cafe, I'd still like one with d-rings so I could replace the 1.5" strap with a 2" or 2.5" one. This is partly because wider straps distribute heavier loads better (I sometimes carry a 12" laptop to work in my MCB, and the current strap is less than optimal on those days), but also partly because hey, I'm male. The narrow strap just makes the bag look too much like a purse, whereas a wider strap would give it a more masculine, classically messenger baggish look. Here is an example of a similarly-sized bag (though hopelessly overpriced and ruined by the inclusion of velcro) with a wider strap. Gives it a much different look overall.

That said, thumbs up on the shoulder pad idea, and as for the Kindle Ristretto, the Medium Cafe is pretty much already the perfect Kindle DX bag, isn't it?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mplsnst View Post
    The narrow strap just makes the bag look too much like a purse, whereas a wider strap would give it a more masculine, classically messenger baggish look. Here is an example of a similarly-sized bag (though hopelessly overpriced and ruined by the inclusion of velcro) with a wider strap. Gives it a much different look overall.
    That's an interesting point - something I haven't thought of before.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by gonty View Post
    Can someone give me an idea of how big the main compartment is? I mean the full depth compartment right next to the notebook sleeve.

Is it deep enough to fit a hardback book, say 1.5 inches thick?
    Yep. It'll bulge forward, but it will fit. I just tried it with my HP 2730p plus a 2.25" thick hardcover book, and it was fine. Though not so sleek. But good enough that a lover of thick library books like myself can manage OK.

Now an thick text book...that I couldn't say. In order to handle the depth I did lose a little width, so a wide book might have problems.

The one downside I've noticed so far is that the front pocket has a lot of space down at the bottom...but getting *to* that space is a little tight. So it makes it good for laptop accessories, but not so good a place to put my cell phone wallet. Can't just toss it in and grab it out fast.

I really do like this bag even for when I don't ahve a laptop with me...the laptop compartment is great for keeping paperwork from being bent or smished, even without adding a file folder. I don't imagine a normal cafe bag could do that for you.

Thanks Jerelyn, just what I needed to know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0