Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to add Cord Zipper Pulls to your Tri-Star

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

How to add Cord Zipper Pulls to your Tri-Star

After looping the cord through the zipper slider or pull (depending on whether you are removing the metal pulls or simple adding the cord pulls to the metal pulls), thread both ends of the cord through the plastic outer sheath of the pull (the part with the hole going through it), making sure the wider end of the outer sheath is furtherest from the zipper slider.

Then, push both ends of the cord into either side of the the inner part of the pull (the part with two prongs with teeth on the inside); you'll have to pry the prongs open a bit with your fingers as you slide the cord ends in - pushing the cords in from the sides is easier than trying to shove them in from the opening of the prongs.

You want to slide the cord ends all the way in between the prongs so the the cord ends are flush or nearly flush - if you try to stuff too much cord in, the outer sheath won't close onto the inner pronged piece all the way; if you don't push enough cord in then the teeth won't have enough to bite on to and the cord end might slip out. Make sure the ends of the cord don't stick out of the sides of the inner prongs.

After you've inserted the cord into the inner part of the plastic pull, align the inner part with the opening of the outer sheath and pull the cords back through the outer sheath, in the process locking the inner part inside the outer sheath and locking the cord ends securely inside both.

It may take an additional hard yank to get the inner part to seat fully into the outer sheath; if it won't seat it's usually because a bit of the end of the cord is extending beyond the inner prongs - sometimes you can successfully use a bent-open paper clip or similar to push the excess cord back into the prongs to get the whole thing to seat securely.

If you've been successful in assembling the cord pull but discover you want to remove it, you can just cut the cord off and throw the pull away, or you can disassemble the pull using a small screw driver to pry the top end of the pronged part back out of the outer sheath. Be careful not to jam that screw driver into your hand when you try this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Be careful not to jam that screw driver into your hand when you try this.
    I was definitely thinking that the entire time!!!! I used a nail file instead of a screwdriver, and it was sharp!!!!

Re: the instructions - thanks!!! This will come in handy when I have to re-attach the cord pull on my Western Flyer, because I certainly didn't do all you described when I put it back together.......

Volunteer Moderator
    Ha, oh wait you're talking about these newfangled zipper pulls - I see that now, since I just got home to my Tri-Star!!!

I am now a full-on metal zipper fan though - I just put one of my Tri-Star cord pulls on my Western Flyer... another one of the cord pulls must have snapped off during my trip, because I found myself staring at a lonely length of cord on my zipper. Odd. I think I was hand-carrying it the whole time between when I noticed it there and when I noticed it gone. Metal zippers all the way! =P

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    I am now a full-on metal zipper fan though - I just put one of my Tri-Star cord pulls on my Western Flyer... another one of the cord pulls must have snapped off during my trip, because I found myself staring at a lonely length of cord on my zipper. Odd. I think I was hand-carrying it the whole time between when I noticed it there and when I noticed it gone. Metal zippers all the way! =P
    You shouldn't have the cord zipper pull pop-off problem with the new style of cord zipper pull. Once those are put on, they *stay* on. We can send you all new-style cord pulls if you'd like! Same goes for anyone else who had problems with the previous style popping off - just email us. (It didn't happen that frequently, but it did happen.)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Cord pulls on; now how to get metal pulls off

My gorgeous indigo Tri-Star arrived yesterday, and thanks to your instructions, Darcy, I was able to install my first cord pull. It takes a little patience, but I think I'll get faster with practice.

Now that I have the cord pulls on, I'd like to remove the metal pulls. I can see the notch that *ought* to allow me to slide the metal pull off, but I can't get it to work. Any hints?

Thanks so much.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)

Hold Everything!

You have to *cut* the metal pull tab off. DO NOT, whatever you do, try to bend the the loop/bail on the slider open so that the pull can be removed: the metal does not bend easily and will likely break.
    Use a heavy-duty wire cutter or similar to cut the pulls off: best to cut the eye of the pull in two places rather than trying to cut it in one place and then bend it open. Take care not to scrape the finish of the slider with the cutting tool, and wear eye protection for yourself!
    Remember that removing the metal pulls voids the warranty in so far as you can no longer return the bag to us for a refund (we can't re-apply the pulls once they've been removed).
    Good luck.

On second thought....

Thanks so much for the warning, Tom. The last thing I want to do is mutilate my beautiful brand new bag. I had thought the cord pulls were meant to be replace the metal zipper pulls, but obviously I misunderstood. So I won't be doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I had thought the cord pulls were meant to be replace the metal zipper pulls, but obviously I misunderstood. So I won't be doing that!
    You can cut off the metal zipper pulls and replace them with Cord Zipper Pulls - a number of customers have done this. Just make sure to follow Tom's instructions and be careful!

I recently ordered and took receipt of a package of the zipper pulls. I installed one on an old backpack that I'm making do with until I can build up enough money for a new one. And I'm looking seriously at the Smart Alec and the Brain Bag!

And here's a shout out to Maverick for his how-to YouTube video on installing one of these pulls.

The web-master may want to update the images on the zipper-pull merchanidse page to reflect the new configuration, BTW.

Lightbulb

Borrowing an idea from another bag I have, I was thinking if TB made the actual cords for the pulls a little longer, they could be laced through the zippers as shown in the pics. This would not only help deaden metal zipper noise, but it would also eliminate any reason to ever permanently remove the metal pulls. In the 2nd pic, I loosened the cord up a little to better show how it was looped around and through the pull.

Name:  zipperpull2.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  48.9 KBName:  zipperpull1.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  45.5 KB
    Walker likes this.

@dmarauder, thanks for the tip & photos. I removed the cord pulls I put on my Co-Pilot. I had them looped through the hole nearest the zipper tip. It made the loop too long. They were always getting in the way. Re-installed them like your photos. They are the po erfect length I like. No need for longer cords. Just loop over the curved side of the plastic thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    dorayme likes this.

Sopps! My apologies, dmauder. Spelled your handle wrong in the post above!

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Sopps! My apologies, dmauder. Spelled your handle wrong in the post above!
    No worries, I've been called worse! Thanks for the response and picture! I'm glad the cords are long enough to loop them like that! My new Tri-Star arrives tomorrow and that's how I plan to install the cord pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @dmarauder, thanks for the tip & photos. I removed the cord pulls I put on my Co-Pilot. I had them looped through the hole nearest the zipper tip. It made the loop too long. They were always getting in the way. Re-installed them like your photos. They are the po erfect length I like. No need for longer cords. Just loop over the curved side of the plastic thing.
    Hmmm, actually those look like they could be the old style cord pulls. And, I think the Tri-Star metal zipper pulls might be a little longer. The Co-Pilot zipper pulls in your pic look somewhat short & stubby.

We shall see tomorrow when the Tri-Star arrives. I guess I could always get a long piece of cord and cut my own.

Quote Originally Posted by dmauder View Post
    Hmmm, actually those look like they could be the old style cord pulls. And, I think the Tri-Star metal zipper pulls might be a little longer. The Co-Pilot zipper pulls in your pic look somewhat short & stubby.

We shall see tomorrow when the Tri-Star arrives. I guess I could always get a long piece of cord and cut my own.
    Indeed, the zippers on my Co-Pilot are short & stubby. I had my Co-Pilot since last fall.

However, I already assembled the cord pulls. You may be able to loop the cords through the TS zipper before putting it through the plastic bits. I would have preferred to have the plastic bits on my bag's cords closer to the zipper. But I don't have the time to disassemble. Of course, I can buy a new set if cord pulls. But I want to do my little part to avoid waste .

Thanks again & thanks for forgiving my mistake with your handle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0