keb

Camcorder pouch...

Just got a Canon Vixia HF11. About the size of a Coke can. You camera folks out there, anyone using the small padded pouch as a case for one of these things? It is small but kind of an odd shape, and I am looking for something that I can carry it in and slip it in a jacket pocket or another bag rather than carry it in an obvious camera bag or vidcam bag. Obviously the new camera insert will undoubtedly be versatile enough to handle this task, but until then just wondering what everyone uses for these things.....

Sorry, it's the medium padded pouch it fits in....
    Last edited by keb; 05-08-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: pouch size correction
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

I use it for my point and shoot sony camera,

Love it, it is beautiful, the medium pouch is about the size of a paperback book.

Can you tell me more about this Camcorder? I am in the market for a small one

keb
    The Canon vixia hf11-- its basically one model ago from the current newest, so the price has come down about $400. Still not cheap though. It has a larger sensor than the new model, 32gb of built in flash and an SD slot, so no real moving parts other than the lens. There is a non-HD one that is less I think. If you don't need HD the cost is pretty low but then it doesn't look as good when you play on the new TVs, so.... I have 3 kids and haven't had a reliable camcorder for about two years now so it was time... It is not huge but it is not nearly as small as the videocams that are made for making web and youtube videos, nor as small as some of the real pocket-size ones. Some of those really tiny ones shoot HD now and cost almost nothing! Some of the new point and shoots actually take really good HD video now too and are pretty amazing-- I almost went with one of those but since my wife takes all the good pictures with her D80 it seemed a little redundant so I figured I would go with the dedicated video...

Anyway, I just got it from Amazon tonight and have the accessories in one of my clear quarter packing cubes for now. But the camera is basically cylindrical, really like a small can of soda, so I am trying to figure out what to carry it in. Especially with the flash memory, you really don't need to be carrying a whole bag with the thing, just it and an extra battery. My daughter has her Kindle2 in a medium pouch and I use them for my presentation mouse and cables, as well as my airport express and cables, and the smalls and minis for iPods and headphones. The pouches of all sizes and kinds are incredibly useful. I know the camcorder will fit in the medium padded pouch, just not sure if the bulging shape will defeat the purpose of the padding and allow some pressure on the device. I think there are folks who carry them in neoprene lens accessory cases... I think there are some serious photo/video folks on here, so I'm interested to see what they say...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

This may sound wierd and it's not a TB bag but it works for me. I'm not sure about size of the Vixia but I have a Canon FS100. It's the small standard def flash memory camera and sounds like a similar size and shape. I tried a number of alternatives but I now use a rigid case which is made for sunglasses. I think it's an Eagle Creek. Got it at REI or EMS. It's got a soft brushed interior, rigid walls and is shaped kinda like a short very fat bananna (about 7x3.25x3.25). It may be too small for you. It's the only case that is protective but small, light and easy to get in and out of quickly ~ bottom line is I use it.

I don't think I knew about the TB padded pouch at the time I was looking and I'm not a serious photographer but I use the camera for personal and work use. It stay's stuffed in my Imago every day or in my tank bag when on the motorcycle. This case kept it safe and cozy from NY to WY and back last summer. Isn't flash memory great!

Hope this helps

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Keb,

Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    The Canon vixia hf11--

Anyway, I just got it from Amazon tonight and have the accessories in one of my clear quarter packing cubes for now. But the camera is basically cylindrical, really like a small can of soda, so I am trying to figure out what to carry it in.

I know the camcorder will fit in the medium padded pouch, just not sure if the bulging shape will defeat the purpose of the padding and allow some pressure on the device. I think there are folks who carry them in neoprene lens accessory cases... I think there are some serious photo/video folks on here, so I'm interested to see what they say...
    The vixia dimensions are:

Dimensions (WxHxD): 2.9 x 2.5 x 5.1" (73 x 64 x 129mm)

Your soda can analogy is a good one. You might try using the Kit for this. If you put a soda can into the Kit, it will not roll because of the wide base. Back when this was first released as the "Style Kit Pouch" there were some pictures of it with external (cylindrical) iSights; these bags were good for keeping such items from rolling around. Those pictures with the iSights inside the Kit have been taken off the product page, but you can still see an example with the iSight at the side in the blog. If you look at the close up end view "b" on the product page, your camcorder will be a little narrower than the width of the top end of the "Tom Bihn" label strip, and the top of the camcorder will sit slightly below the colored material edge transition to the zipper -- a bit above the "YKK" on the zipper pull.

The ballistic nylon will hold its shape, which is why items placed into the Kit won't roll, given the shaped piping and side profile. Your side profile will look slightly more rectangular (trapezoidal?). The inside of the Kit is the same color as the outside (see view "d"), and if you want additional padding you could use Domke lens wraps.

Kit Exterior dimensions: 8.7" x 4.7" x 3"

moriond

keb
    The Kit is a cool idea. I have one and I tried it and it fits easily, and prob could also hold a mini pouch with the extra battery. I'll just have to get a second one!! I am just a little nervous about not having any padding for the camera. Not in any hurry, so will explore a bit. That sunglass case idea also looks very cool but I think just slightly too small. Might go check it out though... Thanks.

keb
    I have a local EMS store, might go check out the Eagle Creek sunglass case. Looks like they make one 7x3x3. I would feel a little like a traitor, so I will wait and see if there is any camera insert news coming soon before I do anything....

It's not a TB product but I use the Waterfield pouches for my iPod and cords. They come in several sizes so I would think one would work for you. Only problem is they have dividers so that might be useless for you.

Seems like I'm recommending this a bunch but how about a Domke velcro wrap made for camera lenses? They come in various sizes and have decent padding. With one of those you can then put the camera in anything. I like them for my lenses.

keb
    the wrap looks like a great idea. how much bulk does it add? I think the 15" would do the trick. I guess then I can carry it in anything I want. I also saw a Zing pouch-- cylindrical neoprene lens pouch with a drawstring, about 7" tall by 4" diameter, that looks like it might do the trick too. I have so many camera bags, I hate the idea of having to get another one, and it looks like there are a lot of options that won't preclude me from the TB camera insert when it is revealed...

If you get the wrap size correct, it doesn't add much bulk IMO. For example, a large-ish wrap on a small lens will bulk it up a tad but it's kind of like double wrapping a present. The flip side is that you're not really adding a ton of protection but just something for the minor bumps and jostling. I wouldn't think it's designed for a full drop from 4 feet but I'm not sure. I like the wraps for when I don't have an insert and I don't want the items in my bag to bump each other.

One thing that might be awkward and slightly bulky is the shape of the object. Unless you're really good at wrapping I would assume you always get some bulking around the edges since you can't tie down every single corner or side. I don't mind it so much but if you are really concerned about minimizing the size this might be a red flag or at least a yellow flag.

I kind of like these wraps. They seem like they can be used for just about anything you want to add some protection to including a hard drive or any electronics. Bags don't always have the perfect pockets but they always have a main large storage area. With these wraps you can use that main storage area and have it be protective to items of your choice.

keb
    agree completely. I will probably get one of the drawstring neoprene pouches and one of the wraps too. I can always find a use for flexible padding.

Now of course when TB introduces the camera insert with the flap closure, cinch straps, removable ultrasuede dividers, attachable padded wrap, end and top flap accessory pockets and hideaway shoulder strap, all will be unnecessary.....

Ordered both... Will update when I get them....
    Last edited by keb; 05-11-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Update...

keb

perfect fit!

the camcorder fits perfectly in the zing neoprene medium lens pouch! and i just like folding and unfolding the 15" domke wrap just for fun!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0