Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cpau View Post
    I'm... very sad. Terribly disappointed, in fact. I'm definitely a duffel packer. I pack in 3 dimensions, not 2; stacks and blocks of things rather than like everything in a filing cabinet. The middle section is no use for me (no big computer, nothing else to slide in).

hi cpau,

Don't feel too bad, because even though I have ordered (indigo/solar), I am actually still wishing for something like I posted on the "Aeronette" thread .. sized around about a 19 x 13 x 8 bag, with just one zip around, so it's a one-compartment bag with convertible back straps, like the classic offered by a competitor (initials the 18th and 19th letters of the alphabet).

It would weigh less (no inner linings and fewer zippers) and let me work with packing cubes and organizers.

Maybe later in the year, after the rush of this new bag is settled, let's start a campaign?

Cheers,
    scotlib
    Last edited by scotlib; 04-29-2009 at 06:24 AM.

I'm... very sad. Terribly disappointed, in fact. I'm definitely a duffel packer. I pack in 3 dimensions, not 2; stacks and blocks of things rather than like everything in a filing cabinet. The middle section is no use for me (no big computer, nothing else to slide in).

That and I'm leaving on May 31st and international shipping is baaaaad.

I'm thinking I might not get one after all. I'm sure everyone else will love it.

I'm in the same spirit... for the opposite reason : It's exactly the bag I want but it won't fit my laptop (which needs a Size 2M Braincell)
    Last edited by David dP; 04-29-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We'd be grateful if you posted your feedback on how packing a suit in the Tri-Star works. The compression/tie-down straps may be ideal for that.
    I certainly will do that!

Any plans for Black and Solar?
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

I'm thinking I might not get one after all. I'm sure everyone else will love it.

To each his/her own but I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.

Assuming for a minute that you use packing cubes, no matter what style of bag you use you are still packing in 3d. The only difference between the bags would be if the cube sits flat or on it's end when you are loading it. Even more to the point, your cubes and items will be shifted depending on how you carry the bag. My Aeronaut is really a filing cabinet too but it's on it's side instead of upright.

Also, I would hardly call the center a waste just because you don't have a laptop. I would put clothes in there or my reading material or toiletries or just about anything I wanted to logically separate from the other compartments.

Besides the volume difference (2000 vs 2700 according to the specs) the main reason (imo) to pick the TriStar is so you can bundle wrap and use the tie downs. I posted a long time ago that TB needed an option like this because the folding / tie down method is supposed to be very good at preventing wrinkles for the business traveller and with my limited experience I think that's true.

I like to "duffel" pack also but that's mostly for casual travel. If I ever pack something nice that I'd like to not wrinkle, I find myself frustrated with duffel packing. Just depends on what you need I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by David dP View Post
    I'm in the same spirit... for the opposite reason : It's exactly the bag I want but it won't fit my laptop (which needs a Size 2M Braincell)
    It sounds like someone needs a new computer!

Quote Originally Posted by MsMoon View Post
    It sounds like someone needs a new computer!
    LOL... It IS a new computer (a big DELL portable CAD workstation), actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    yeti is correct. Climb14er, we can't put the Cord Pulls on for you, but it's really easy to do yourself! We'd be glad to talk you through it over the phone.
    Darcy, it's not a problem. I saw the bag's picture and assumed all along that pull cords would be the manufactured method as I find pull cords (and similar) easier to handle on a traveling bag.

In addition to the pack of extra pull cords that I ordered (as spares), why don't you include pull cords for the bag and I'll put them on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
    In addition to the pack of extra pull cords that I ordered (as spares), why don't you include pull cords for the bag and I'll put them on myself.

Climb14er.....what they're going to do is ship the bag with metal pulls and include a bag of cord pulls automatically for anyone who wants to switch to them. No charge for the first set of cord pulls.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Climb14er.....what they're going to do is ship the bag with metal pulls and include a bag of cord pulls automatically for anyone who wants to switch to them. No charge for the first set of cord pulls.
    People might want to read the discussion thread about cord pulls vs. metal tabs that came up when the Aeronaut was first introduced. Déja vu all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    No problem... I still want to buy an extra set of cord pulls and I gladly stepped to the plate with both the three hundred dollar plus order that includes the extra set of cord pulls.

I have the exact same feeling. I imagined it to be a smaller Aeronaut which would have been perfect. When I heard three compartments I imagined the one main one and two end pockets, basically very duffley. I'm not travelling yet but now I'm thinking I may have to get an Aeronaut even though it seems a bit too big. Tom Bihn will probably not make another bag with the same dimensions. The Aeronaut, Tristar, and Western Flyer all already very close.

Lime, I think I am going to have to get the aeronaut and take the risk of having to check it on a flight within europe. As much as I love the tristar's look and the design I am just afraid it is not going to hold as much as I need it to. this is a tough call..unless I get both and then I use one and my partner uses the other

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I definitely wouldn't rule more Aeronaut-type travel bags out. Maybe later this year.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    Assuming for a minute that you use packing cubes,
    That is a large assumption. I use a combination of packing cubes and folded/rolled items, depending on what I'm carrying and what needs to be cushioned.

no matter what style of bag you use you are still packing in 3d.
    You misunderstand me. With a filing-cabinet type of packing everything IS flat, hence the 2D analogy (side-by-side this way, or that way? No choice for the third dimension). What I do is carry bulky but delicate things like, for example, 3.5"(diam)x5" bottles of jam*. How on earth can I pack around them when there are three thin slices? The middle section is too small, and you can't easily pack around, within that. I'm not confident of getting enough padding on the outside of the main compartment. And divider-bulge, if you try to force it, is wasteful of space. I'd also be wondering about putting strain on the dividers and bag as a consequence of the bulge.

I would put clothes in there or my reading material or toiletries or just about anything I wanted to logically separate from the other compartments.
    I don't need to separate things like that. Books possibly I could use it for but I'd use the front pocket for that. A slip-in compartment is harder to access, so clothes would get a bit scrunched on the way in and out. At least they have in other slice-style bags that I've already tried.

I have tried compartment bags for many years and they REALLY don't work for me, especially if the bag is to be pretty much full anyway.

Besides the volume difference (2000 vs 2700 according to the specs)
    The dimensions are the main reason to get the bag, as I have looong been saying.

the main reason (imo) to pick the TriStar is so you can bundle wrap and use the tie downs.
    No, it isn't - see the threads that helped motivate its development. Tie-downs were hardly mentioned. It was all in the dimensions. :-) . I don't bundle wrap, but tie downs are useful even with packing cubes, for a less-than full bag, if you position things right. Going by the usual volume of things I take, a tristar-sized bag would be suitably full and not absolutely need them (though they are my preference) -- so it's not that that's the killer, it's the way the whole bag is organised.

I was praying for a cut-down aeronaut, not a beefed-up western flyer. For something the size and purpose of the western flyer, this kind of organisation is perfect. I have a slightly smaller 2-compartment backpack that I use in exactly that way but only because of the need to haul a big computer and folders (It's actually effectively 3 compartments because the computer slips into a slip velcroed to the back wall). I still find it less efficient than a full-compartment bag. For actual travel, more flexibility is an absolute must.

Just depends on what you need I guess.
    Indeed. Hence my disappointment.

Don't get me wrong - it looks like a great bag for western-flyer users who need more space. But that wasn't my point in supporting the need for this size of bag in the first place. For aeronaut (or similar) users or those who carry things that aren't easy to organise flat, it's not suitable.

Let me say thanks for letting me air my thoughts, and that despite feeling like a lone killjoy voice I hope that someone can understand what I'm saying. I know that the bag will fit the needs of many people here, and for that I'm sure Tom Bihn can be glad. it's just sad to be in the minority after so much discussion and input!

-----
    *we have no liquids restrictions in domestic flights. I'm invariably taking them with me to give to people, or bringing home oddly-shaped presents.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    on the smaller jets, i've seen a lot of people do plane side checkins for their rolling suitcases because they don't fit overhead. they get them back plane side when the flight lands.

as much as i prefer to abstain from rolling carryon suitcases, so many people use them almost exclusively.

by the way, a heavily packed rolling carryon suitcase (which weighs quite a bit in and of itself) coupled with an overhead bin malfunctioning is a very bad combination. a good friend of mine had one of these rolling carryon suitcases end up on her head when an overhead bin opened. it didn't feel very good.

i don't want any bag falling on my head! but if that did happen, i would take a soft aeronaut, tristar or western flyer over a rolling carryon suitcase any day! just don't pack bricks inside of it .

You got that right maverik!

Those wheels are heavy and the frame they need to work is heavy too, they should not be permitted on overhead bins.

When I was traveling with hardsided and/or bulky luggage, I used a little cart with big wheels .
    First because the wheeled pieces were always to short for me and second because I could not carry the hardsided/bulky pieces of luggage.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0