Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Another order for indigo/solar Tri-Star just in :-) I have another trip for this July, so fingers crossed that I can get it in time!

Nice to read that the Medium Cafe Bag could fit in the middle pocket, too.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    Stop looking into my camera bag! Except you forgot the 24mm.
    What... no 14mm fisheye?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Don't worry! We can make one with metal pulls for you. We've gone back and forth on metal pulls vs. Cord Pulls. Even though all of my pictures (argh) show Cord Pulls, we may just make the bag with metal pulls and then offer a pack of Cord Zipper pulls to people who'd rather have those.
    I already placed the order earlier and I ordered a package of 'extra' pull cords for those times when I lose one.

Please make mine as you originally designed... with the pull cords. I prefer the pull cords and do not want mine changed because someone wants metal!

Thank you!

keb
    Haven't had a chance to explore the website changes yet... It looks like I have work to do...

Posting a packing cubes question in the question threads about mixing and matching packing cubes with different bags...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar)

Quote Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
    I already placed the order earlier and I ordered a package of 'extra' pull cords for those times when I lose one.

Please make mine as you originally designed... with the pull cords. I prefer the pull cords and do not want mine changed because someone wants metal!

Thank you!
    It sounds like they weren't sure whether they were going to go with metal or cord zipper pulls, and their decision to produce the TriStar with metal and provide a bag of pull cords allows people to have either kind, since the metal pulls can be replaced with cord pulls at home by the user, but not vice versa. So I don't think that they're changing the pulls because someone wants metal, but because it allows the greatest flexibility for customers.

The wait is over!

Ordered the Tristar in black with packing cubes and various pouches as well as an absolute strap and medium cafe bag. The plans have been in the works for a long time just waiting for this release to pull the trigger.

keb
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

The Tristar is gorgeous, that Indigo is just dreamy!

I am however no closer to choose between an Aeronaute, a Western Flyer or a Tristar as a second carry-on bag.

I wish commuter airlines would ditch rollaboard from overhead space to a mandatory check in so I could fit all my Tom Bihn bags comfortably.
    My sense from looking at this is that the Aeronaut/Western Flyer combo will still be the best two-bag carryon solution (at least until the Compass!) I use a 4Z Brain Cell and it is pretty big and stiff. With my Brain Cell in the back compartment of my Western Flyer it is hard to fit anything with much depth. It seems from the size of the packing cubes that the compartments of the Tri-Star are slightly shallower than the Western Flyer. With the stiffness of the Brain Cell in the middle I think there will be bulging of the outer compartments if you have full packing cubes, shoes, etc. A full Tri-Star with a laptop as a second bag to an Aeronaut might just be too bulky to pass as a "personal item", whereas the Western Flyer probably does because it is so sleek. Of course, I have yet to try this but I may get an Aeronaut for my summer travel, load it with clothes, take some in the Western Flyer with my electronics and see what happens. Will probably do the Black/Steel thing for the Aeronaut so it looks a little smaller....
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar)

My big hope is that I can finally pack a business suit in a Tom Bihn bag. The Aeronaut did OK on this task, but was not ideal.
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mruseless View Post
    My big hope is that I can finally pack a business suit in a Tom Bihn bag. The Aeronaut did OK on this task, but was not ideal.
    We'd be grateful if you posted your feedback on how packing a suit in the Tri-Star works. The compression/tie-down straps may be ideal for that.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by yeti View Post
    It sounds like they weren't sure whether they were going to go with metal or cord zipper pulls, and their decision to produce the TriStar with metal and provide a bag of pull cords allows people to have either kind, since the metal pulls can be replaced with cord pulls at home by the user, but not vice versa. So I don't think that they're changing the pulls because someone wants metal, but because it allows the greatest flexibility for customers.
    yeti is correct. Climb14er, we can't put the Cord Pulls on for you, but it's really easy to do yourself! We'd be glad to talk you through it over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedenim View Post
    tristar and packing
    would you be able to fit a large packing cube in two of the compartments and a pair of shoes or two in the other?
    Yes - you can fit one Large Packing Cube in two of the compartments, and then a pair of shoes and a Medium Packing Cube in the other. Or, if you'd like, two pairs of shoes.

I just noticed that the weight of the Tri-Star and the weight of the Aeronaut are exactly the same......a coincidence or a typo?

I just ordered a steel/solar combo and can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm going to head for the showroom on Thursday to check out the sample unit and think about which extra packing cubes I'll need. I have three for the Western Flyer, so I'll see how they fit into a Tristar. I'm planning a five week trip with the Tristar as my one-bag, with a medium cafe bag as my "personal item." Will report back once I give it a try.

And doesn't that indigo look awesome! The indigo/solar combo made my color choice a tough one.
    Last edited by flitcraft; 04-28-2009 at 09:58 PM.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I'm... very sad. Terribly disappointed, in fact. I'm definitely a duffel packer. I pack in 3 dimensions, not 2; stacks and blocks of things rather than like everything in a filing cabinet. The middle section is no use for me (no big computer, nothing else to slide in).

That and I'm leaving on May 31st and international shipping is baaaaad.

I'm thinking I might not get one after all. I'm sure everyone else will love it.

Last edited by cpau; 04-29-2009 at 04:52 AM.

That's a gorgeous bag. And clearly in order to justify another bag I need to do more traveling. Excellent...

Holding my Sapphire Swift up to the monitor (yes, I'm a dork), it looks exactly the same color as the Indigo on my monitor. Can I second the request to see a picture of the two together?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0