Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi Backpack

According to the specs, the small organizer pouch will fit into the 3D Clear Organizer Cube if you go from the flat to filled dimensions. It has the same length (180mm) and is slightly taller (125mm vs 110mm), which means that it formally exceeds the height by the width of the piping above the zipper. In practice, if you fill the small pouch, and use the pack that the 3D clear organizer cube is 50mm deep, you'll be able to fit in a couple of small pouches. To get an idea of scale, mouse over view "a" of the 3D clear organizer cube and compare it to view "c" of the (small) clear organizer pouch. The LARA bar should give you an idea of relative size.

I was interested in comparing the new cubes, so I went to http://www.sizeasy.com/ and created a comparison page for the 3D Clear Organizer Cube, the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, the new Side Effect, the Convertible Packing Cube and the Kit. This makes it easy to compare the size of the new 3D Clear Organizer Cube against the Clear Quarter Packing Cube that many have been using for a similar purpose (as a somewhat large "3-1-1" bag).

moriond

Thanks moriond!

What would I do without my fellow Tom Bihn forumites who unlike me know how to translate measurements into great visualization tools or pictures.

Really useful, thanks again

Volunteer Moderator
    You're welcome, backpack

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Thanks moriond!

What would I do without my fellow Tom Bihn forumites who unlike me know how to translate measurements into great visualization tools or pictures.

Really useful, thanks again
    I'm really happy about the slightly smaller height of the new 3D Clear Organizer Cube -- about 2/3 the height of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube and thinner, if you check the green and purple images in the comparison size image. This is also a more convenient size for use in other bags like the Western Flyer as noted in this older post about packing cubes.
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Since there appear to be multiple posts right now about using packing cubes in different bag combinations, I thought I'd mention that the small size packing cube for the Western Flyer fits nicely in the Buzz, and also works with the Imago. I also use the clear quarter packing cube extensively, but would like to see added a slightly smaller version -- maybe about 3/4 of the current height, or a little above the Lära bar in the picture -- for more convenient use in the divided front pocket of the Western Flyer, end pocket of the Aeronaut, and a few other instances where less height in the stowed cube would make it easier to fit additional items inside of other bags.
    Also note that the 3D Clear Organizer Cube can fit entirely within the Side Effect (purple and red images at the end). One thing I was wondering about is whether there's a convenient tether point on the outside of the Side Effect, or other easy way to secure it when carried inside another bag. (I'm looking at the images of the points the shoulder strap attaches to in view b).

Cheers,

moriond

Would be nice if the 3D Clear Organizer Cube had lettering on one side that read "1 Liter/1 Quart" like this Eagle Creek Pack-It Liquid Set.

Makes it harder for a TSA official to argue over the size of the cube, saying it does not meet the 1 quart specification. Figure this might be an issue as it is an "aftermarket" bag and not a Ziploc bag like some TSA personnel would be familiar with.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    If we get feedback that this is an issue I will certainly figure out how to do it. So far its' been interesting to see what TSA people care about and what they don't: I've had no luck second guessing them
    Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the reply Tom.

Going in to the airport I never know what to expect with security (TSA).
    So my thinking is to be fully prepared and make it as easy as possible for me to get through and not look like a "target" to be flagged.

Not related to the bag I used... on a trip about 2 years ago, I had silverware in my bag from my wedding as I was flying back home. I didn't think about the knives in there, they were not steak knives, just regular dinner knives. Well my bag was flagged and the TSA rep informed me that the knives were not allowed because of the serrated edge. I thought it was crazy to consider these dinner knives any kind of formidable weapon, but was nonetheless forced to leave security and call my ride back to pickup the knives.

Well, Murphy's Law got me and my bag was flagged again by security and they found yet another dinner knife that I missed. I couldn't believe my luck and explained to the TSA agent, someone different than my last try, what happened earlier and I meant to get rid of all of the knives a few minutes ago. Well the TSA agent checked the length of the blade and said that it was under the limit and I could take the knife on board the plane.

This serves as another example of rules not being applied equally across the board. Not due to any kind of prejudice or ill will just different people seeing different things.

This leads me to think about how a security agent would verify the size of the 1 quart liquids bag. I know when the 3-1-1 was first put into affect the Ziploc 1 quart bags were popular and seen somewhat as official. I wonder if a security agent would argue the size of the 3D Clear Organizer Cube since it is a retail bag. Wonder if I just put a label on it saying "1 Quart/1 Liter" if that would be good enough for the security agent...

Super Moderator
    Rather than a silk-screened logo, it would be classy to have a "1L/1qt" *label* on the edge -- perhaps with a "Tom Says Ahoy!" and a smiley face next to it. However, that friendly greeting could be condensed for space, so it'd instead say:

"Iqt/1L: TSA "

timothy

I'm looking forward to a 3d clear organizer cube simply to help me pare down on my toiletry packing, but I've had very little trouble with the TSA over the past few years. I'm happy to share my toiletry packing secret with you all right now (shhhhhh it's really secret)

I keep all my toiletries (liquids and all) in a toiletry kit that goes in the end pocket of my Aeronaut. I keep all the liquids in one of the pockets of it so they are all together and here's the kicker...I don't take it out of my bag before it goes through the x-ray. I've found that if your packing is organized and if the TSA can clearly see on the x-ray that you don't have that much in the way of liquids they don't seem to say anything about it. In three years of travelling like this (I travel a lot) I've only had my bag searched once, and that was because I packed granola bars!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyz View Post
    I'm looking forward to a 3d clear organizer cube simply to help me pare down on my toiletry packing, but I've had very little trouble with the TSA over the past few years. I'm happy to share my toiletry packing secret with you all right now (shhhhhh it's really secret)

I keep all my toiletries (liquids and all) in a toiletry kit that goes in the end pocket of my Aeronaut. I keep all the liquids in one of the pockets of it so they are all together and here's the kicker...I don't take it out of my bag before it goes through the x-ray. I've found that if your packing is organized and if the TSA can clearly see on the x-ray that you don't have that much in the way of liquids they don't seem to say anything about it. In three years of travelling like this (I travel a lot) I've only had my bag searched once, and that was because I packed granola bars!
    hi!

when i went through security in amsterdam last month, i was about to pull my clear quarter organizer pouch with liquids out and the security officer said that i didn't have to take it out. i also keep mine in the end pocket of my aeronaut.

similarly, i did not remove the liquids bag from my aeronaut going through security when departing new delhi because they don't ask you to.

security at new delhi man handled my medium cafe bag - turned it upside down because they wanted to send it back through the machine and dropped my iphone to the floor in the process. why wouldn't you grab it by the handle on top? but that's another story.

anywho, i always remove my liquids bag from my aeronaut at u.s. airports. i figure that i have plenty of time to pull the liquids bag out if there is a line up at security. it doesn't take that long to put the liquids bag back inside afterwards - much less time than if they decide to go through my bag because i didn't pull out the liquids.

It's been my experience that there is no TSA policy--just TSA employees who enforce it according to an inexplicable code. It varies from airport to airport. A couple of years ago a TSA employee insisted my lipgloss was "liquid" and forced me to add it to my quart bag. An [almost] empty water bottle [as in perhaps 1/8 oz.] made a guard in Whitehorse, Canada treat me like a nefarious villain. Another time, I thought I'd lost my Swiss Army knife; later I found it at the bottom of my Imago, after it flew in-cabin with me on two Canadian and one US carrier.

My advice is to always use an marked 1-qt. bag inside any other carrier.

I've done the same thing on accident. 2 or 3 times now I have gone through security and not pulled out my liquids bag and gone through without issue. My Clear Quarter Packing Cube had my liquids bag in the end pocket of an Aeronaut.

My sister-in-law got chewed out by a TSA agent once because she left her water bottle in her backpack by accident when going through security. It really is ridiculous how varied it can be from airport to airport.

You ever hear the one about a MacBook Air causing a guy to miss his flight?

Have to admit though the Evolution of Security (TSA Blog) is a helpful resource for timely security info.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I've done the same thing on accident. 2 or 3 times now I have gone through security and not pulled out my liquids bag and gone through without issue. My Clear Quarter Packing Cube had my liquids bag in the end pocket of an Aeronaut.

My sister-in-law got chewed out by a TSA agent once because she left her water bottle in her backpack by accident when going through security. It really is ridiculous how varied it can be from airport to airport.

You ever hear the one about a MacBook Air causing a guy to miss his flight?

Have to admit though the Evolution of Security (TSA Blog) is a helpful resource for timely security info.
    I had heard the one about the Macbook actually...quite ridiculous.

I fly out of Indianapolis mostly and my experiences are mostly positive. Never take out liquids and never get my bag searched unless I've packed something weird (like a replacement bulb for a projector). That particular instance, I got a TSA agent to admit to me that he thinks we should be allowed to carry pocketknives onto planes and that it's ridiculous that keychain swiss army knives can't be carried on.

Our biggest problem here is contending with the new millimeter wave scanners. Despite the fact that I take EVERYTHING out of my pockets for those scans, they manage to find something to pat me down for (an ankle bracelet I had on, the zippers on my cargo pockets)

Volunteer Moderator

Thumbs up

Despite the fact that I take EVERYTHING out of my pockets for those scans, they manage to find something to pat me down for (an ankle bracelet I had on, the zippers on my cargo pockets)
    Of course not meaning any insult to the professionalism of the TSA screeners, but the possibility exists that you're just impossibly attractive, and they wanted to get their hands on you

Super Moderator
    "Of course not meaning any insult to the professionalism of the TSA screeners, but the possibility exists that you're just impossibly attractive, and they wanted to get their hands on you "

October 2001, I flew to Germany for a conference -- got to speak in place of someone who suddenly didn't want to fly. I saw three people searched: a very elderly woman, a Russian guy ("This is because my last name is Russian, isn't it?" -- but good natured), and one of the most beautiful girl-woman-maedchens I have ever in my life laid eyes on; she did not look like a suspicious plane bomber to me. The airport guardians decided that laying on of eyes was not enough.

timothy

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Of course not meaning any insult to the professionalism of the TSA screeners, but the possibility exists that you're just impossibly attractive, and they wanted to get their hands on you
    Except that I'm not getting flagged down by the agent at the scanner, but rather one of the faceless hidden agents sitting behind a computer 30 or 40 feet away.

They seem to be on the lookout for stuff that is in my pants, you know extra pockets, ankle bracelet, that stuff (;

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Update: the 3D Clear Organizer Cube has sold out in its first run even before it was ever in-stock. Every color - except Punch, which we have a few of - is sold out. Our Seattle factory is making more, but we won't have them until early-mid-July.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0