Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    16

    Question Is it ok to list a trade/sale for my TB bag?

    Long story short, I've had my Empire Builder for 5-6 months and yesterday slipped a disk in my back for the second time carrying it. I want to order a Brain Bag, but money's a little tight after tax day.

    Thanks,
    Larry

  2. #2
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,410
    Larry,

    You are welcome to post a link to an eBay auction or Craigslist ad for your bag - but we don't allow selling/trading of bags directly through these forums.

    I'm sorry that the Empire Builder isn't working for you!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Long story short, I've had my Empire Builder for 5-6 months and yesterday slipped a disk in my back for the second time carrying it. I want to order a Brain Bag, but money's a little tight after tax day.

    Thanks,
    Larry
    I'm no back expert but you do realize that the Brain Bag is large and it can carry a lot of weight right? If you have back issues I would think you need to lighten the weight you carry and one way to do that might be to force yourself with a smaller bag like the Smart Alec. Just a thought. Good luck on the back!

  4. #4
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,410
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    I'm no back expert but you do realize that the Brain Bag is large and it can carry a lot of weight right? If you have back issues I would think you need to lighten the weight you carry and one way to do that might be to force yourself with a smaller bag like the Smart Alec. Just a thought. Good luck on the back!
    Good point. The Brain Bag is a lighter bag than the Empire Builder, but it is a larger bag and has more capacity. Probably not the best bag for those who find the Empire Builder too large/heavy.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    16
    While the weight of the bag did contribute to me slipping a disk, it's primarily the one-sided weight that caused it. The benefit of the brain bag is the fact that the weight is distributed on both shoulders and is pulling back, rather to one side. I've never had any sort of back issues prior to switching to a side-carrying bag. I'm gonna go ahead and order the BB and just list my EB on Craigslist. I do appreciate the input.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    260
    Larry: while I more often carry a messenger-style bag than a backpack, I agree with you that the same weight carries differently depending on bag style. For me (no slipped disks -- yet!), one thing I like about a messenger bag is being able to *switch* sides once in a while. Depending on how much you need to carry at a time, a Smart Alec (or some other bag altogether) might be better. I have not yet tried one on, but I like the look of the Smart Alec and of the prototype Synapse -- they might be more back friendly.

    timothy

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    While the weight of the bag did contribute to me slipping a disk, it's primarily the one-sided weight that caused it. The benefit of the brain bag is the fact that the weight is distributed on both shoulders and is pulling back, rather to one side. I've never had any sort of back issues prior to switching to a side-carrying bag. I'm gonna go ahead and order the BB and just list my EB on Craigslist. I do appreciate the input.
    The main reason I use my BB for larger loads is exactly what you say - it's just less stress on my back. I only wanted to caution you because back issues seem to be very tricky things and you just never know what can set them off. I do hope this works for you. Good luck!

  8. #8
    Registered User bltkmt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Larry,

    You are welcome to post a link to an eBay auction or Craigslist ad for your bag - but we don't allow selling/trading of bags directly through these forums.
    I have always been curious as to this policy - why not set up a marketplace here on the site? Aren't they fairly self-policed by the forum members?

  9. #9
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,410
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I have always been curious as to this policy - why not set up a marketplace here on the site? Aren't they fairly self-policed by the forum members?
    It takes a lot of time to moderate a marketplace - time we don't have because we're busy making new bags! Sites like eBay and Craigslist are set up for that, and we aren't. See this thread for more.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0