Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Camera I-O and Tripod-Lighting Kit Quivers

Must... resist... Camera I-O... and... Brain Bag... must resist... Seriously, this looks great!!

One question: Can you fit a medium-sized dSLR with a smaller prime lens attached (thinking Nikon D7000 w/35mm DX lens) and put the combo in the I-O bag lens-down? Judging from the pictures, it sure looks like you can, but I just wanted to verify. Thanks!

My Camera I-O and Quiver are on the way. Darcy, when the smoke clears, I'd love to hear "the rest of the story."

I started this discussion thread almost three years ago. If you check the first page or so of the thread, you'll see links to photos of the insert (not the same ultra-cool one that is shipping) and updates from Darcy saying the pieces were in the factory and shipment would be in a couple of weeks.

I'm delighted to be getting the product I ordered and absolutely LOVE the feeling of community and openness that comes from Tom, Darcy et al. I'm simply curious about the development process. Can you tell us about it?

Camera bags are so personal. Within arm's reach, I have two Think Tank rollers (Logistics Manager and Airport International) for storage or heavy travel. In my closet, on the shelf between two shelves full of TB bags, I have their sling o magic, large and small retrospective bags, small and medium sized Domkes, and a couple of other bags I don't use anymore.

I had so wanted a TB camera bag/insert, but not for my large DSLR set-up. I wanted something that would handle a M4/3 or Leica set-up. The Camera I-O is clearly set-up for a DSLR, and my littler cameras would swim about in the bottom of a half empty bag. This bag is too tall for my needs. I'm a huge TB fan and have nearly every bag and accessory he's made (except the backpacks). This one simply doesn't seem to fit my personal use paradigm. Maybe I'll someday consider a replacement for a ThinkTank Retrospective 30 and I'll look at this. The trapezoidal velcro dividers are nice. I would like more pockets on the exterior for filters, flashes, gels, cleaning supplies. The bag looks too tall and would seem to rest on its side when not in use - I don't like getting the sides dirty. They rub against you when you walk. However, maybe if used as an insert it changes the paradigm...though I can't think of a non-backpack bag that Tom makes which doesn't rest on its side when not in use. Maybe one of the grocery bags. I like putting a small tripod/monopod under or on top of the bag and am not sure about the quivers, which look prone to pickpocket theft, collecting rain, etc.

Again, its all about your personal bag use paradigm. I haven't found the ideal insert to put in my super ego or ego, or secondary bag to squeeze into my beloved Aeronaut. This product should be quite popular - as a large camera insert.

Though I am personally let down to learn this is an accessory/bag for DSLR shooters instead of the growing number of smaller camera shooters or photographers who use smaller lenses (few people own a 70-200, and fewer use it during travel due to the weight), I would love to hear the backstory of taking an idea and bringing it to market, as well as the design considerations (everything is a tradeoff). I've watched this thread for what seems like years. Can't wait to see the reviews!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by leftistelf View Post
    Camera bags are so personal.
    [snip]
    I had so wanted a TB camera bag/insert, but not for my large DSLR set-up. I wanted something that would handle a M4/3 or Leica set-up.
    Have you taken a look at ncb4's Cardinal Co-Pilot as camera bag for DSLR kit thread? Nancy has done a lot of posts (with photos) showing different bags she's used in the past to carry her camera equipment. This arrangement would seem to work for smaller cameras. Others have posted about using inserts with the packing cube shoulder bag to carry their camera equipment.

moriond

I have an ultra minimalist photo/video travel setup. It fits in a Medium padded pouch!

The release of such great and versatile protectors/holders/inserts for an DSLR or HDSLR might bring on the acquisition of this technology.

I found the video of Tom on a boat and perched on a rock in a green area using his FJN and I said to myself where is that?

And I want to do field pictures/journal with my little flowers/trees/stars and bird mini laminated guides and a nice camera.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    We've added 11+ new videos in which Dan describes the features of the Camera I-O and demonstrates how he uses it on photo shoots to our YouTube Camera I-O playlist.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PL4F0B315875FCA0B4&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Very nice, informative and... funny! Thanks Dan!
    Last edited by backpack; 04-06-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Since I'm not going to be able to order the Camera I-O soon, my favorite part of this rollout has been Dan Bihn's videos. Tom, your brother is awesome!
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Brian Stowell’s Camera I-O review

Brian Stowell’s Camera I-O review, on the Blog has amazing pictures! It shows the proportions of the bag very well when worn by him and it has an amazingly detailed picture of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Brian Stowell’s Camera I-O review

Brian Stowell’s Camera I-O review, on the Blog has amazing pictures! It shows the proportions of the bag very well when worn by him and it has an amazingly detailed picture of the bag.
    It's been a long long time since I've been on here. My Brain Bag is now almost 6 years old and still looks practically brand new. It refuses to show any wear, despite being used nearly every day since it arrived. Having dipped my toes into photography recently, there was no way I could turn this down. Granted I don't have the big DSLR that it was designed for (starting with film), I was hooked with the design, approach and obvious quality. It lives up to expectations.

My question: Since I have some room to spare, I was hoping to use this as a laptop sleeve as well if you will. Have both laptop + camera (what more would I ever need?) in one spot. Anyone know if there's a way to pull this off?

Reposting, not sure why it didn't stay.

I received my Camera I-O today and per usual, it's everything you'd expect from a TB bag. My Brain Bag is 6 years old and still looks brand new despite being put through the paces almost every day. I was surprised as to how big it was in the pack - it takes up just about the entire back slot (with some room to put a few smaller items on top).

Albeit potent blasphemy, is there any way I use the case to transport my laptop (Macbook Pro) as well? MBP + camera (SLR, so smaller than the DSLR it was designed for) would be PERFECT. I know its unlikely but figured if anyone would know, it'd be you guys here.

+1 for loving to see how it went from the insert in 2009 to what it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeini View Post
    Reposting, not sure why it didn't stay.

I received my Camera I-O today and per usual, it's everything you'd expect from a TB bag. My Brain Bag is 6 years old and still looks brand new despite being put through the paces almost every day. I was surprised as to how big it was in the pack - it takes up just about the entire back slot (with some room to put a few smaller items on top).

Albeit potent blasphemy, is there any way I use the case to transport my laptop (Macbook Pro) as well? MBP + camera (SLR, so smaller than the DSLR it was designed for) would be PERFECT. I know its unlikely but figured if anyone would know, it'd be you guys here.

+1 for loving to see how it went from the insert in 2009 to what it is today.
    Use a brain cell with the clips on the outside of the case via annex clips?

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robz431 View Post
    I'm delighted to be getting the product I ordered and absolutely LOVE the feeling of community and openness that comes from Tom, Darcy et al. I'm simply curious about the development process. Can you tell us about it?
    I'm so glad! Thanks for being here on the forums -- you guys make them what they are.

The reason that the Camera I-O was in development for so long? Tom wanted the final bag to be exactly what he had envisioned and didn't want to settle for any less. Researching, developing, and testing the right combination of materials took a lot of time and trial and error. And often, when we thought we had found the perfect solution, we tested it and it turned out to need more tweaking.

And in other news... the first batch of Camera I-O bags has sold out. It's now available for backorder and ships by early June.
    Jenne and Walker like this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    . . . The reason that the Camera I-O was in development for so long? Tom wanted the final bag to be exactly what he had envisioned and didn't want to settle for any less. Researching, developing, and testing the right combination of materials took a lot of time and trial and error. And often, when we thought we had found the perfect solution, we tested it and it turned out to need more tweaking.

And in other news... the first batch of Camera I-O bags has sold out. It's now available for backorder and ships by early June.
    I am impressed that Tom did not bow to pressures to release a product that is NOt totall 100% to his satisfaction.

On the Camera I/O selling out so quick: not a surprise at all. And if Tom can be convinced to make a model to fit the micro four thirds system, I believe TB will be swamped with orders. There NO bag in the market for the micro four thirds. So here is to hoping for a Camera I/O for the micro four thirds! And the smaller brain bag to go with it! YAY!

I've been considering the Camera I/O, but I can't for the life of me figure out: Is the bag wider than it is long, or longer than it is wide? The pics on the product page make it look long, but the videos make it look wide.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0