Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
Like Tree1352Likes

Thread: TB Anticipation Syndrome

Steel/Solar Tri-Star out for delivery!

It's not quite delivery expectation, but I'm getting really excited for the shop opening in a week. I've managed to make a list of what I most want to see and must bring to see how it fits in the bags I like best. Now I just have to wait a little longer!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonP View Post
    Steel/Solar Tri-Star out for delivery!
    Did it arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Cymberleah
    It's not quite delivery expectation, but I'm getting really excited for the shop opening in a week. I've managed to make a list of what I most want to see and must bring to see how it fits in the bags I like best. Now I just have to wait a little longer!
    We're excited for the store to open! We'll have more table space so you can lay out the items you bring/the bags you're looking at.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

It's Here!

It's difficult to capture the color, but it's such a nice color.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

your eyes aren't deceiving you

I've noticed the same thing with all of my TB bags, there is some quality of the fabric makes them so freakin' pretty, yet is virtually impossible to capture in a photograph. I first noticed this with the Vulcana Hemp/Recycled Rubber and steel Dyneema on the Little Swfit because that was my first in real life exposure, but as I've gotten more bags and accessories with different colors, fabrics and textures I see the trend again and again on every one.

First, they are always nicer than the pictures. No discredit intended to the photographer. Darcy, I really think you do a great job taking pictures of the bags and fabrics! The fabrics themselves have qualities that make them an experience and that is hard to capture in 2D.

Secondly, the color choices of the fabrics are so vibrant and full of life, not in an eye searing way, but a way that makes you want to run out and open your eyes to nature and living, once again, the depth, vibrancy, shimmer, texture and quality just don't capture to the full extent in a photograph.

The functions of the bags can be captured in photograph just fine, but the concepts of application are so innovative to me, that once again, it's an experience and something that no matter how many photographs I've looked at, and I have seen a lot of them, of Tom Bihn bags, there is some or several feature(s) that just clicks when I have the bag in hand.

When I was first exposed to Tom Bihn's Swift in 2007 I had bags made from all kinds of other quality fabrics, but none in Nylon. I didn't see Nylon as a fabric choice that was appealing to me. It wasn't leather, or even synthetic leather, organic hemp, silk, cotton, linen, hand woven, or any other fabric that I identified with as being "nice". I didn't see how I could dress it up, I didn't see how it would work with my choice of aesthetics.

I was however enamored with the simple grace, functionality and understated style of the bag. I waited. . . Cork was introduced and I fell. I wasn't able to afford to buy, but I wanted to. Time passed and the Hemp/Rubber was introduced and I was head over heels so I took the plunge.
    I haven't looked back.

Each bag exceeds my expectations, there is hardly ever a flaw, rarely a stitch or thread out of place, the colors complement each other well, as well as normal clothing that real people like me wear.

And as I was failing miserably above trying to describe, the fabrics feel rich and luxurious in an understated way so that Nylon has gone to a new level in my mind.

In summation, Tom Bihn bags have changed this bag lover's bag schema, and I'm not complaining!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Yes, I've two steel bags, a cordura Ristretto and a ballistic Aeronaut. They are totally different both in colour and sheen, and, try as I might, I cant capture either the green/teal shade of the cordura or the way that the ballistic nylon glints in the light. Equally, I've tried to capture the dyneema colours, but without total success. They may look good on the screen (the pics I took of my dyneema pouches almost get it), but they all look truly fabulous in the flesh!

Eric

I have a steel laptop case, steel WF, and steel TS and they do all look different from each other. It's such a beautiful color.

I may have an opportunity to get more TB stuff in the next couple of months-- I am so looking forward to TB anticipation syndrome again!
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

I am once again beset by TBF (Tom Bihn Fever) as I await the arrival of my latest order. As forum members know, I lost my cherished Steel/Steel/Cayenne Imago to a hazmat incident. After careful review and contemplation I have ordered a Co-Pilot in Steel/Ultraviolet to fill the vacuum left by the loss of my wonderful bag. I am very excited about my soon to arrive Co-Pilot and see this as being my Every Day Carry bag.

But of course I ordered other items with it. How could I resist? I upgraded the strap to an Absolute Strap, and added a medium stuff sack in Iberian, a small padded pouch (for my BlackBerry Car Charger), a mini Clear Organizer Pouch (for business cards carried in my Co-Pilot,) and a medium Clear Organizer Pouch intended to carry my LunchBot Tin but may be tasked elsewhere.

I am looking forward to meeting my new bag and getting to know each other. Yay Tom Bihn!
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

I know what you mean. Steel Ballistic is my fave and does not translate well in photographs. The medium is lacking in the ability to capture the experience. TB bags are to be experienced.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I've noticed the same thing with all of my TB bags, there is some quality of the fabric makes them so freakin' pretty, yet is virtually impossible to capture in a photograph.
    I so agree. I am quite serious when I tell people that Tom Bihn bags are works of art, or perhaps more properly objets d'art, that are not only brilliant in design and function, but shine in craftsmanship, materials, and colors creating a synergy where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

It takes time with such an item to develop a fleshed out appreciation of it on multiple levels. Daily use leads one to discover the adaptability and ingenuity of the bag design itself. Use over time underlines the durability of the materials and the superiority of the craftsmanship. Current media technologies do not properly capture the depth and experience of the colors. In this they remind me of the paintings of Ad Reinhardt. Ad Reinhardt's paintings which appear all black cannot be truly appreciated unless you spend time looking at them and over time your eyes come to see the formerly unseen subtleties.

With the Tom Bihn colors, one cultivates an appreciation beyond the initial impression, indeed over time one gains a perception of just how amazing the colors are in a variety of lightings. The tactile component, the hand of the fabric, is particularly engaging with the Ballistic fabrics. I could go on but I think the point is being made: a photo is inadequate to transmit the experience of a Tom Bihn bag. Ad Reinhardt's work does not translate to other representations and mediums. To appreciate you have to go see it. Tom Bihn bags are like that. To really understand what they are about, you have to use one. Like many great works of art, there is no equivalent to the original as the artist intended the work to be experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Auha View Post
    I just placed an order for my Empire Builder, but its still on back-order ... sadness and a half right here waiting in anticipation. I'm pretty excited for a good bag that's not the same price as a Tumi.
    Did it arrive yet, Auha?

Well, I've got another large package of Tom Bihn products on the way! A Brain Cell, Snake Charmer, Horizontal Freudian Slip, a couple more small Dyneema pouches, a medium Clear pouch (hopefully with a Dyneema back), a clear organizer wallet, and a couple of 8 inch key chains. I was trying to be responsible, but picking between them all was... well impossible.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Mister N, it's like children.

Picking a favorite would just be irresponsible!

Let me know how you like the snake charmer as it is on my "must have" list but i have not convinced my wife yet!

I thought I was the only sick one at first. . . I'm realizing more and more each day that I have arrived at the hospital and most of the other patients have the same infirmity!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    Mister N, it's like children.

Picking a favorite would just be irresponsible!

Let me know how you like the snake charmer as it is on my "must have" list but i have not convinced my wife yet!
    Sure thing. I was up in the air about it, but I think it might be able to fit sandwiched on the side of the main compartment of my bag with the brain cell in there.

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I thought I was the only sick one at first. . . I'm realizing more and more each day that I have arrived at the hospital and most of the other patients have the same infirmity!
    Oh yes. These were things I was thinking about getting before when I bought my super ego first off.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0