Page 53 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
Like Tree1586Likes

Thread: TB Anticipation Syndrome

I have another tracking number...now I am sure my Field Journal is on its way. Hooray!

Well I'm expecting a big package coming on Monday! It really kills me that UPS ground takes so long to the East Coast. It shipped out Monday and won't come until the next Monday! I'm starting a new job out of school soon and since I'll be traveling a lot I thought I'd equip myself with Tom Bihn gear.

I have a big order this time, with a Black/Iberian Cadet and a Black/Steel Tristar. My other bag is a Black/Steel Smart Alec. I know those are boring colors, and I think I may sell off the Smart Alec and get a Black/Wasabi version when they are back in stock next year. I do like black as an external color because it's so nondescript and I don't like to stand out in a crowd. On the Cadet I thought Iberian would be more professional than Wasabi or Ultraviolet, and perhaps even more so than steel. For the Tristar I debated long and hard going Black/Steel or Black/Wasabi, but in the end since I was ordering a bunch of packing cubes (small, medium, and backpack) I decided I'd like to have everything a matching set.

I can't wait til they get here! Also in the package is a Snake Charmer, hemp wallet, pen/pencil ballistic pouch, dyneema large pouch, two absolute straps (why not?), an iberian and wasabi travel pouch (I do want to see the bright colors!), and an Iberian travel tray.

I now have 3 empty TB boxes sitting on my hearth...they arrived in 3 separate deliveries this past month and each contained wonderful treasures. :-). The only disappointment is that I have thoroughly examined each of them and cannot find any artwork. :-( (When I say thoroughly, I mean it...I even peeked under the tape...). I couldnt find any on my packages that arrived earlier in the year either. I am hoping this means Santa will deliver a very special TB piece of art...maybe even a mural...:-)

On a much happier note, one of the treasures was a Field Journal which was backordered and arrived much earlier than expected (yeah!)...it has already passed a critical test. I am a CASA and need to be ready to testify in Court frequently with information easily accessible and well organized. This means I typically must carry several folders and my notes. You may be thinking "You really need a ......(fill in your suggested briefcase/messenger style bag)." You are right, except we are not allowed to bring "closed bags" into the courtroom...ie briefcases, purses, messenger bags etc (one of the attorneys even had a shop bag denied). This means we are left to "juggle" our file folders and papers...not very efficient, especially when taking the stand. (Raise your right hand etc...). Enter the Field Journal. When zipped open and layered on top of the pile of folders it passed inspection. Hooray! (BTW I don't have to pass thru the metal detector into the courtroom,but I do have to have everything scanned entering the courthouse. I leave the FJ zipped until I have passed the scanning and then open it for entry into the Court.). My ID and writing tools are nicely organized and easily accessible. I do still have to leave my mobile phone in my car...no phones allowed in the Court or they are confiscated. So thank you Tom Bihn for making my work a bit less challenging. :-)

PS Just in case Santa doesn't deliver, are boxes ever sold on eBay???
    backpack and nsh like this.

Well, I received a TB package today stuffed with goodies so more on that later. In the mean time, I recall seeing a request for a photo comparing Wasabi with Solar. Well, here's a Solar Yarn Sack with the Wasabi interior of my Tri-Star.

Name:  wasabisolar.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  562.1 KB

My latest TB package contained TB products that I'll be taking with me to South-East Asia as gifts for my folks. This was especially important as I really wanted to present them with practical American-made products that they can put to good use, and really appreciate. Tom Binh products certainly fit the bill, I thought. So, let's take a quick look at a few of the items.

I bought a pair of Swifts for my mum (Aubergine/Navy/Steel) and (Forest/Hemp/Steel). (TB products as abstract art?)

Name:  tb1.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  659.3 KB

Name:  tb3.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  639.4 KB

Here's a view into an empty Swift. Note the enclosed Medium Yarn Stuff Sack in Steel, plastic ruler, the clear, zippered pockets, and the O-ring with a key strap attached.

Name:  tb2.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  571.5 KB

For my dad, I got him a new Smart Alec in Steel, as well as a matching Co-Pilot.

Name:  tb4.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  739.2 KB

Name:  tb5.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  812.0 KB

Hopefully, not the last of the Steel Co-Pilots. Not the most "exciting" color, but not as bland as black either - conservative and classy.

@seikoguy, these are fantastic photos! I love that you've captured the texture of the ballistic nylon, and the way it 'shimmers' in different light.

And TB products as abstract art? I'm an engineer and in my world, function *is* beauty. Just this week, as I was placing another TB order*, my DH asked if I really needed another bag**. I told him that rather than collecting artwork, I was collecting TB bags. He replied 'well at least they're functional!'

-n

* The order is getting delivered to my SIL's place, in another state, and I won't see my stuff until AFTER CHRISTMAS!!
    ** Oh yes, I sure do need another bag. As much as I love my Little Swift in Cardinal, red doesn't go with much of my wardrobe. Hence I need the LS in Cork. :-D

Thanks for the kind words, notmensa. Indeed, trying to convey 3-dimensional depth via 2-dimensional media poses it's set of challenges.

By the way, anyone notice how the Tri-Star has its own unique label? The Aeronaut on the right has the usual "Portable Culture" label and may be feeling a little left out. Out of curiosity, are there other TB products with their own unique labels as well?

Name:  au.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  688.5 KB

My delivery has arrived! At my SIL's house... in another state. She's just send me a message:

"It's here!! The delivery lady was reportedly impressed with the box art. BIL has strict instructions to keep the box in pristine condition until a photo shoot has been completed."

:-D

I have a tracking number. :-).
    New TB items are on their way....I know I will love the contents of the box ....the question is "Will there be art work???? " :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Seikoguy View Post
    Out of curiosity, are there other TB products with their own unique labels as well?

Yes! The Field Journal has its own Field Journal label! I'll try to get a picture up soon.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoguy View Post
    By the way, anyone notice how the Tri-Star has its own unique label? The Aeronaut on the right has the usual "Portable Culture" label and may be feeling a little left out. Out of curiosity, are there other TB products with their own unique labels as well?

Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    Yes! The Field Journal has its own Field Journal label! I'll try to get a picture up soon.
    I think the three-sided label shape on the Tri-Star was another way of letting people quickly distinguish this bag from the Western Flyer when seen from the front, since that bag has the same label that appears on the Aeronaut, Co-Pilot, Synapse, and many other bags. In this view they look very similar, except for the number of horizontal zippers for pockets on the left side. As gochicken says, the Field Journal has another distinctive label. Here's an example picture that was posted to the blog:

Love the little trees in green on the land below the plane.

The older Swifts had the same rectangular label used on the Aeronaut, but on the side of the bag, just below where the two edged fabrics crossed. They changed the size and placement of this to use the narrow label (with plane to the left of the Tom Bihn name), now sewn into the edge that stretches into the handle, when they added the band of black Dyneema to help these bags stand erect by themselves. (This is one of the differences, apart from the pocket design and capacity, between the Swift in 400d Dyneema and the shop bags, by the way.) The narrower label is used on pouches, the Imago, and is sewn as a diagonal band on the caches and padded pouches.

By the way, seikoguy, I loved your selection of gifts for your family and the pictures. You've selected most of the available color combinations, too! I'm almost sorry to post an existing picture, because it might dissuade gochicken from posting hers and she takes such beautiful pictures of bags, especially those of the purple or Azalea persuasion.

moriond

Moriond,

Thank you for sharing! I have another TB package on the way - it appears that the TB crew has been putting in some overtime so the Co-Pilot in Aubergine is now available One will be accompanying my Aeronaut on my trip to SE Asia next week! :-)

Thanks, moriond. I couldn't upload my photo for some reason.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Just placed my very first order, and have no idea how I will get through the next few days; this TB anticipation syndrome is worse than I thought it was going to be!

Many thanks to everyone on the forums for the helpful posts and photos, which so greatly helped me in the decision process. In my box will be a Little Swift in Vulcana hemp, a clear organizer wallet to match, a Large Shop Bag in steel dyneema, 4 organizer pouches in different sizes, the new 3D dyneema organizer cube, an iPad cache, a travel tray, a guardian light, and some key straps & cord zipper pulls.

I’m very grateful to the Tom Bihn crew for their efforts in getting the shop bags back in stock ahead of schedule, and for the prompt updates on the blog. What an amazing company!

Page 53 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0