Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1Bag1World Interview with TB

Just read the interview and I am excited - especially by the prospect of the Tri-Star bag. A 3 compartment sack could be ideal for both business and casual travel. Don't get me wrong - I love my Western Flyer and use it all the time for travel, but it is not the greatest bag for business clothing. I have been able to get by with it on a number of occasions. A 3 sectioned bag can make packing for business easier - and may offer a section for the laptop and accompanying stuff. I look forward to hearing more about the bag, and seeing it in person!!

"New sizes of the Checkpoint Flyer Briefcase for PCs; a Checkpoint Flyer Backpack; The Compass - a small carry-on bag, like a smaller Western Flyer sans backpack straps; the TriStar - sized between the Western Flyer and the Aeronaut. It will look a lot like the Western Flyer (but three main compartments rather than two); a garment bag later in the year; I hope to finish the Synapse backpack, plus a few surprises that I could tell you about but then I’d have to kill you

We plan to introduce smaller sizes of our Soft Cell laptop sleeve for netbooks, as well as a smaller version of our Ristretto vertical messenger bag.

New Checkpoint Flyers mentioned above, plus I’m working on a completely waterproof clear pouch for toiletries and other must-not-leak or must-stay-dry items."

The Garnment bag is such great news!

I also Looooove the idea of a Backpack Western Flyer and the addition of netbooks sleeves.

Also completely exited about The Compass - a small carry-on bag, like a smaller Western Flyer sans backpack straps; the TriStar offered in addition to the Western Flyer.

All those innovations plus the waterproof pouch.

I believe a trip to Seattle is warranted, when the weather will get better.

There are some things that must be tried in person!

Now, you know what's next, we want Pictures!
    Last edited by backpack; 01-22-2009 at 02:28 PM.

keb
    Agree completely. One more compartment would easily give space for several days of clothes and laptop with necessary accessories. Love my WF as it is but the Tri-Star sounds even better. I travel a lot with my kids and their electronics accessories take up a lot of space in my carry on when we travel. The WF and TriStar would be a great carryon combo for me, as I doubt I would be able to carry a max bag like the Aeronaut and still be able to carry other stuff the wife and kids need me to carry. I smell a collection coming...

"plus I’m working on a completely waterproof clear pouch for toiletries and other must-not-leak or must-stay-dry items."

That's what excited me the most, I think. I really need a toiletry kit, and I was debating buying the quarter packing cube for that purpose.

Garment bag and netbook sleeves are also welcome additions. I won't need the garment bag by the time it comes out, but other people will! And I'm getting a netbook in a few days, so I'm going to need a sleeve for it soon.

So many carry-on options being designed... How will I ever choose?

I gotta say the TriStar definitely sounds exciting, as does the Compass.

I better start saving! the TriStar and the Compass both sound amazing...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Super Moderator
    The Tristar sounds esp. exciting, in the face of possibly tighter carryon requirements which could endanger any particular current standard of predictable "maximum carry on size." Erring slightly smaller would be perfect, esp. if a personal item is still an option on the table.

timothy

Thumbs up TriStar and the TB POV

"I believe that instead of buying large quantities of cheap stuff, people are going back to spending more on a quality product that will last them a long time." - Tom Bihn

I read the above line and I have to agree with Tom Bihn. I look at my own example to see this is true. Those following my quest for the correct every day bag are aware I was going back and forth between the Medium Cafe Bag and the Imago. After receiving both I was planning on returning one due to budget constraints. However, after a small unexpected cash injection into my personal economy I am keeping both. Mind you, it seems that after trying both out, and originally thinking the Medium Cafe was just a bit to small, it ultimately turns out I am using the Medium Cafe bag as my daily bag and the Imago is sitting by the wayside. But I will not return the Imago. Why? I am after all in tight budget waters. Wouldn't it be the practical thing? Well, simply put, it comes down to one word: quality. The Imago is an amazingly well made bag. It is a tad smaller than my preference, but it is so outstanding in its construction, workmanship, quality, and design that I will not return it. Indeed, I will find a use for it.

I wil be writing up my experience and posting my pictures of the bags (some travel ones too in the thread already containing my TB bag choice evolution. I plan to do it in a month or so as I am making notes and vetting the bags in my daily life. I also already know I will be buying more TB products because they are well made, and have a positive impact on my life. My review will be detailed and go more into that.

The TriStar - sized between the Western Flyer and the Aeronaut, is something I will be taking a look at with an eye towards purchasing. I prefer, when possible, to use a smaller than max carry-on bag. In fact, I would like to downsize all my stuff (not just travel stuff) to fit into a max carry-on bag, so if need be, I can just grab it and go. The fewer things I have, the less things have me. That said, I recently took a trip for several days to Florida.

During that trip I used the medium cafe bag as a personal bag and a Manhattan Portage Europa Deluxe (stuffed to the gills) as my carry-on. It was great to be able to travel with a smaller than max bag and as small a bag as I could easily do. It worked out. But I was also analyzing what would be better. And while the Western Flyer was appealing to me, it was also a tad small as well. I am a big guy. Hence, my clothing is large and takes more room. So I was wondering about that. Would I find the WF adequate for my travel needs? I am hoping to get away 3 times a year for 5-10 days. Would the WF prove versatile enough in my case? I think the TriStar may be just the fit I was looking for. One thing I am sure about: as my luggage choices evolve, Tom Bihn bags and accessories will be front and center.

Kudos to Tom Bihn and crew for making such fine products.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

I am a big guy. Hence, my clothing is large and takes more room.
    So am I so I know what it is like.

Would the WF prove versatile enough in my case?
    You might find my review of the Western Flyer of interest:

Western Flyer Review

I recently used it for a 10 day trip to Sweden over the Christmas holiday period. The one thing I would say is that you will have to be very selective about what you pack. Although if all else fails there's always the credit card!

Regards,
    Scott

I'm really looking forward to the Tri-Star! I'm so excited! The WF was just a little too small to be the only bag on my most recent trip (so I also used a backpack), but it was great and I look forward to the new addition!

I'm also really excited about the Tri-Star.
    I've been a 1-bagger for a long while now, and I find that for most trips there is a lot of room left in my Aeronaut. It would be nice to have a slightly smaller bag that is not as small as the WF. Having left over room in the Aeronaut tempts me to overpack
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    "I believe that instead of buying large quantities of cheap stuff, people are going back to spending more on a quality product that will last them a long time." - Tom Bihn

I read the above line and I have to agree with Tom Bihn. I look at my own example to see this is true. Those following my quest for the correct every day bag are aware I was going back and forth between the Medium Cafe Bag and the Imago. After receiving both I was planning on returning one due to budget constraints. However, after a small unexpected cash injection into my personal economy I am keeping both. Mind you, it seems that after trying both out, and originally thinking the Medium Cafe was just a bit to small, it ultimately turns out I am using the Medium Cafe bag as my daily bag and the Imago is sitting by the wayside. But I will not return the Imago. Why? I am after all in tight budget waters. Wouldn't it be the practical thing? Well, simply put, it comes down to one word: quality. The Imago is an amazingly well made bag. It is a tad smaller than my preference, but it is so outstanding in its construction, workmanship, quality, and design that I will not return it. Indeed, I will find a use for it.

I wil be writing up my experience and posting my pictures of the bags (some travel ones too in the thread already containing my TB bag choice evolution. I plan to do it in a month or so as I am making notes and vetting the bags in my daily life. I also already know I will be buying more TB products because they are well made, and have a positive impact on my life. My review will be detailed and go more into that.

The TriStar - sized between the Western Flyer and the Aeronaut, is something I will be taking a look at with an eye towards purchasing. I prefer, when possible, to use a smaller than max carry-on bag. In fact, I would like to downsize all my stuff (not just travel stuff) to fit into a max carry-on bag, so if need be, I can just grab it and go. The fewer things I have, the less things have me. That said, I recently took a trip for several days to Florida.

During that trip I used the medium cafe bag as a personal bag and a Manhattan Portage Europa Deluxe (stuffed to the gills) as my carry-on. It was great to be able to travel with a smaller than max bag and as small a bag as I could easily do. It worked out. But I was also analyzing what would be better. And while the Western Flyer was appealing to me, it was also a tad small as well. I am a big guy. Hence, my clothing is large and takes more room. So I was wondering about that. Would I find the WF adequate for my travel needs? I am hoping to get away 3 times a year for 5-10 days. Would the WF prove versatile enough in my case? I think the TriStar may be just the fit I was looking for. One thing I am sure about: as my luggage choices evolve, Tom Bihn bags and accessories will be front and center.

Kudos to Tom Bihn and crew for making such fine products.

I completely agree, I have always been on a budget, aren't we all?

Before Tom Bihn, despite my lifelong uhhhhh, hem, addiction with purses and bags of all kind, I had to really think before buying.
    Many of my purses/bag purchase ended up being moved into one of my relatives closets without much resistance from me.

Last week, when I realized that my better half was going to need to use my
    Steel Brain Bag for travel, I had one of those moments of "What is he going to do to it?" but then I had no choice.
    I also figured that if he loved the Brain Bag, he would understand my love for the brand.
    He loved it and I announced that I had bought another Brain Bag in Sapphire and that he could use the Steel one from now on.

Every time I buy a Tom Bihn bag and believe me, I have quite a collection, I do not feel guilty and I know that it is an investment.

I would not buy a Brain Bag or an Aeronaute every month but when a Swift or a Cafe Bag comes out in a color pair I looooove. If the budget allows, I go for it. I am also not shy about buying accessories.

After making do with flimsy cases for my cheap cell phones and cameras, I decided to use a cork case when I got a new cell phone and recently added a padded pouch for my camera. What a difference in style and sense of security!

That's what Tom Bihn bags are all about, investments in style, ease of use and security/durability.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-27-2009 at 04:53 PM.

I agree. security and investment. I have bought 2 bags in the past year. super ego and a aeronaut. Just ordered a braincell and freudian slip for the super ego . I cant wait to see the garment bag. He is putting it out at the perfect time for me to upgrade from another brand. I got a supercheap garment bag cause I had to have a garment bag (and didn't want to have to replace an expensive one all the time) but if there is a TB option I will go for it. The second you feel a TB bag you understand that they are not expensive. HOPE IT IS A CARRY ON> BOO checking bags.
    Last edited by shakir5582; 01-27-2009 at 10:37 PM.

a completely waterproof clear pouch for toiletries
    The large pouches with one clear side have been working great for a toiletry bag for me so far. But they aren't totally waterproof. I guess I'm ok with the risk.

The tri-star sounds interesting. I wonder if it's going to be like the suggestion I had a while ago where we needed something that fit the Doug Dyment design idea for wrinkle free travel. Something simple like the Air Boss would be neat. My Aeronaut works fine but I do get lots of wrinkles and I can't seem to make the Dyment bundle method work with the Aeronaut.

Only problem with this is that I find myself buying more TB bags. The quality is there but I can't stop myself from getting the quantity too. Yes, I have a bag problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0