Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

More colors for Ruck's Sack?

I was going to ask for a Ruck's Sack for Christmas until I noticed the three colors that were available (two of which are olive). Are there going to be any more color options for this backpack? Even a black would work, though the plum that is pictured would be great.

I've been waiting for the Synapse, but I'm starting to think it just may be too big for what I'm wanting. I have a Smart Alec and while it's great for short trips and such, it is much too big for me for daily use.

So, I'm hoping for more colors to choose from for the Ruck's Sack.
    Last edited by Foggy Morn; 12-06-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Volunteer Moderator

General pointers about color availability

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy Morn View Post
    I was going to ask for a Ruck's Sack for Christmas until I noticed the three colors that were available (two of which are olive). Are there going to be any more color options for this backpack? Even a black would work, though the plum that is pictured would be great.

[Snip]
    So, I'm hoping for more colors to choose from for the Ruck's Sack.
    Hi,

I think what you're seeing (Sapphire/Olive, Olive/Sapphire, and Olive/Steel) are the currently in-stock colors, if you're looking at the color options on the drop-down menu bar for placing orders on the Ruck's Sac product page

If you take a look at the colors shown below the Ruck's Sac at the Gift Ideas Page or on the Backpacks Page, you'll see the Ruck's Sac is currently being manufactured in Plum, Sapphire, and Olive. However, the more popular color choices tend to sell out first, which is why the color options you can select from when placing an order may be more restricted. What you can do is call, or send an email to Darcy asking when plum or sapphire color combinations might be back in stock. Also, sometimes they will have a bag at the store in an additional color that is now out of stock, but was ordered when that color was available and then exchanged (for a different color or for a bag in a different style).

From Darcy's comments in an earlier thread in October, it appears that Sapphire is on it's way out, though Plum might continue to be offered. Here's Darcy's comments from that thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Heidi,

Thanks for the thread bump: now it's caught our attention!

No new Ruck's Sac colors. The Ruck's Sac will be available in two colors in the next batch. Probably Olive/Something and Plum/Something or Crimson/Something.

More generally, for other bags, you'll sometimes find more colors on the drop-down color selection bar than are shown in the color swatches shown under the bag on the summary pages for each bag category. These are color combinations left over from earlier production batches. Take, for example, the very handsome Navy/Crimson/Crimson (Cordura) color combo that is currently the first drop-down menu option listed on the Imago Product Page. Anyone who likes that combination would do well to order it now. That's not one of the standard colors in the current batch, as you can see by reading the next few quotes excerpted from the discussion thread to Suggest new Imago color combinations from last May:

Thanks, you guys!

Here's what everyone decided on. Water won out over Earth (this time, anyway.)

Navy/Storm/Sapphire
    Olive/Olive/Cayenne
    Plum/Olive/Olive
    Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi

Black/Black/Wasabi
    Black/Crimson/Steel
    Steel/Steel/Cayenne
    Black/Black/Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigues View Post
    Three questions:
    1. What will happen to the old colour combos? ie. Are these new combos in addition to or replacing the old ones?
    2. When will these new bags be available for pre-order?
    3. When will they be ready for shipping?

THANKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I'm guessing these are replacement colors; the Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi combination has been a favorite since the first generation Imago. Darcy, what's the breakdown between Cordura and Ballistic in the second group of colors? Have you stopped making the Cork flap option? I guess Crimson is going (hint for those who are admiring the Navy/Crimson/Crimson Imago pics), but maybe the combo with Olive (without Cork) or with Kelly and Steel can be kept on?

[snip]
    Any prospects for new colors in Ballistic nylon?
    You've got it right.

The last four colors --
    Black/Black/Wasabi
    Black/Crimson/Steel
    Steel/Steel/Cayenne
    Black/Black/Steel
    are Ballistic/Ballistic exteriors with 500 denier Cordura lining.

We may make Cork Imagos (or Navy/Crimson/Crimson or Navy/Kelly/Steel or Kelly/Steel/Steel -- who knows!) in the next next batch, but I can't say for sure. I think you may see new bags in Cork later this year.

As for ballistic: Black is a stock color and Steel and Crimson are colors that we have custom dyed for us. We most likely won't consider adding a fourth color of ballistic nylon until sometime in 2009/2010.
    Bottom line recommendation on colors: If you see any color combination your particularly like, order it while you can. Especially around the Holiday period, nice color combinations tend to disappear. However, I've found this to be good advice for the Tom Bihn products at any time of year.

Thanks, moriond. I was asking for availability on the website so I could give it as an item on my Christmas list.

I agree on the colors, though - catch 'em while you can!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    We don't plan to add any extra Ruck's Sac colors anytime soon. Sorry!!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0