Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why no inside pockets in Brain Bag?

Hey all...

I just got my Brain Bag - I like it, great workmanship and design as usual.

I *did* find one thing I was sad about, and that was that neither of the large compartments contain any small pockets, pen pockets, etc.

I'm sure that the idea for this bag is that all small things either be carried in the back pockets, or in separate containers held in one of the main compartments. But I have things like a checkbook, pens, and other flat or not very thick objects that would be perfect in an inner pocket and which just make the back pockets full of too much stuff. If I put them in one of the main compartments, they puddle at the bottom, lost forever. :-)

Perhaps a teensy bit more rigidity in the middle wall separating the two compartments would allow for a few small pockets on one side of it or the other to support the weight of a few objects without sagging.

Any reason this wasn't included in the design? It's the one thing I wasn't happy about.

P.S. I'm sure no design is perfect for everyone. :-)

- Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 12-02-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Smile

I actually noticed the same thing when I was looking to purchase my Brain Bag. That's why I also bought the Vertical Freudian Slip. Have you looked into getting one of those? They're so wonderful. And you can take everything out at once if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
    I actually noticed the same thing when I was looking to purchase my Brain Bag. That's why I also bought the Vertical Freudian Slip. Have you looked into getting one of those? They're so wonderful. And you can take everything out at once if you need to.
    Hi there...

I'd thought of that, though I'd much prefer something that is part of the structure of the bag itself.

How does this attach to the inside compartments? There is a ring on back-facing side of each of the 2 compartments, but looking at the Freudian Slip, I don't see how it would attach to that. And even if it did, it would be attaching to the side that's away from where the rest of my things rest, so it would not be resting flat against a surface, but instead pushed around by the stuff behind it in the pockets (if put in the smaller compartment, which is what I'd prefer)... it'd be all jangling around in the compartment.

- Tim

I'll second Freelancer's suggestion. I've had my Brain bag for about a year and a half now -- I'm a college professor and I lug it all over the place. I was skeptical about the Freudian Slip at first, but it's really an ingenious solution. Lots of organization and storage, and movable -- from one compartment to the other or out of the bag altogether. I still wouldn't mind a pocket or two sewn in to the bag itself, and the FS adds another chunk to the overall cost, but it definitely does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by gmich View Post
    I'll second Freelancer's suggestion. I've had my Brain bag for about a year and a half now -- I'm a college professor and I lug it all over the place. I was skeptical about the Freudian Slip at first, but it's really an ingenious solution. Lots of organization and storage, and movable -- from one compartment to the other or out of the bag altogether. I still wouldn't mind a pocket or two sewn in to the bag itself, and the FS adds another chunk to the overall cost, but it definitely does the job.
    So, as asked -- how do you keep it secured? Which side of each compartment does it attach to, and how does it attach? Or is it rigid, etc.?

- Tim

Doesn't attach at all. But yes, inside there is a rigid piece of -- I don't know what -- feels like thick foamboard of some type. It stands up fine on its own in either of the two main compartments, and you can still fit lots of other things -- books, whatever -- in the compartment with it.

Thought I would chime in here...

I am debating between the Brain Bag and Smart Alec for my backpack purchase, but either one will come with the vertical Freudian Slip.

I have the horizontal Slip for my ID, and it's a brilliant accessory. Like gmich and freelancer have mentioned it really does make up for any lack of inside pockets. And it does have a rigid backing... in my ID it fits snugly enough that it does not jostle around, and just seems to have the right combination of open and closed pcokets for all of the gadgets and goodies I would want to keep stowed.

In my opinion, the great thing about the combination of the Slip and the Brain Bag would be flexibility. In my ID, for example, I keep all my work and school accessories in the Slip (project folders, calculator, pens, etc.) and simply pull it out when I am using the baf for other purposes.

Having all of that open space in the Brain Bag compartments when you want it (and the ability to move your storage from compartment to compartment when needed) seems like plus to me!

Now if I can just pick a backpack, I'll be good to go!

Hope this helps!

-Bob
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    I'm working on the next generation of Brain Bag, and will be taking into account your ideas. Seems like a pocket or two would not preclude the use of a Freudian Slip, but rather just give you more choices.
    FYI - don't for one moment imagine you should have waited to buy your Brain Bag - this new one is still, at best, months away. And if you poke around the forums you'll realize I've been talking about a new Brain Bag for quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    I'm working on the next generation of Brain Bag, and will be taking into account your ideas. Seems like a pocket or two would not preclude the use of a Freudian Slip, but rather just give you more choices.
    FYI - don't for one moment imagine you should have waited to buy your Brain Bag - this new one is still, at best, months away. And if you poke around the forums you'll realize I've been talking about a new Brain Bag for quite some time now.
    Thanks Tom!

Also, another Good Thing(tm) might be a mesh side-pocket on both sides of the bag for a water bottle or quick place to put stuff without having to take the bag off or unzip anything. I often have put keys or other things in my old North Face "Recon" pack in the side pockets. It's also great for my bicycle pump (the side straps hold in place any longer item placed in the side pockets).

Just some more thoughts - I'm sure you've got a million design ideas.

- Tim

One particular thing I always liked about my TAD Fast Pack (going into corporate espionage territory here) was the so-called "flashlight cave" located under the right side water bottle pocket. The "cave" was velcro-sealed (zipper sealed in current generations), opened downwards, and had a retractable key/ID cable inside. One could reach back, rip open the pocket, pull out the keys for use, then let go and seal the pocket shut again. It was wonderful for keys or anything the size of a set of keys, and much, much more convenient than stashing keys in the water bottle pockets.

Anyway, just throwing out ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    Thanks Tom!

Also, another Good Thing(tm) might be a mesh side-pocket on both sides of the bag for a water bottle or quick place to put stuff without having to take the bag off or unzip anything. I often have put keys or other things in my old North Face "Recon" pack in the side pockets. It's also great for my bicycle pump (the side straps hold in place any longer item placed in the side pockets).

Just some more thoughts - I'm sure you've got a million design ideas.

- Tim
    I LOVE that idea. Count me in! Especially if it includes two mesh side pockets. A spot for an umbrella (especially when it is wet) that's safely away from your precious goodies is a very good thing. Or an extra water bottle for those thirsty days...

A new brain bag design?? Ah, that just makes the decisions even harder! (Just kidding, Tom!). Truthfully I have been waffling between the "style and stealth mode" of the Smart Alec and the "ultimate cargo capacity" of the Brain Bag for weeks... and all of the great reviews and feedback do not make it any easier!

Maybe I am just indecisive. Or maybe not.
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicTiki View Post
    I LOVE that idea. Count me in! Especially if it includes two mesh side pockets. A spot for an umbrella (especially when it is wet) that's safely away from your precious goodies is a very good thing. Or an extra water bottle for those thirsty days...

A new brain bag design?? Ah, that just makes the decisions even harder! (Just kidding, Tom!). Truthfully I have been waffling between the "style and stealth mode" of the Smart Alec and the "ultimate cargo capacity" of the Brain Bag for weeks... and all of the great reviews and feedback do not make it any easier!

Maybe I am just indecisive. Or maybe not.
    Oh yes, I forgot about storing an umbrella in those side pockets and fastended with the side-strap. That, again, is another thing I do with the North Face Recon.

I actually avoided getting anything from North Face for a long time, just 'cause they're so big. But when I was looking for a new backpack some time ago, and wanted a good, well-made, generalized city daypack, I found it pretty well-designed. They seem to have made some changes lately, tho' I'm not familiar with them. But the side pockets (and the internal pockets, of course) were all quite useful. I found, however, that I ended up using the big main back-facing, stretchy, open mesh pocket quite a lot for random things I might want quick access to; it works, but things tend to get lost (phone ringing - at the bottom of a pile of stuff in that one pocket - how do I get to it? Where is it?!?? :-) ).

So some larger outside pockets with a couple of "quick access" types for phone, keys, etc. are great. The one mesh pocket on the Brain Bag is very useful, but something closer to my hands when the pack is on would be great.

That's also a reason I'm looking for a new cell phone holster. I'm going to go to the Chrome store here in San Francisco (another great company, tho' a little too much into the "cool" factor) as they seem to have a pretty functional one.

- Tim

For my cell phone, I've always just attached a Timbuk2 phone pouch (velcro, removable) to one of the straps of my Brain Bag. That way it's pretty much instantly accessible.

And Tom, as long as you're taking suggestions: For me, the space in the Brain Bag that tends to get wasted most often are the upper portions of the two main compartments. Because the bag is so long, most objects only come up to about the 12" or 14" mark. So a couple pockets on the upper part of the main compartments might work.
    Last edited by gmich; 12-04-2008 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmich View Post
    For my cell phone, I've always just attached a Timbuk2 phone pouch (velcro, removable) to one of the straps of my Brain Bag. That way it's pretty much instantly accessible.

And Tom, as long as you're taking suggestions: For me, the space in the Brain Bag that tends to get wasted most often are the upper portions of the two main compartments. Because the bag is so long, most objects only come up to about the 12" or 14" mark. So a couple pockets on the upper part of the main compartments might work.
    As I mentioned in my "cell phone holster" thread, I looked at - but didn't like - the Timbuk2 holsters. The smaller ones are good, but too small for my phone. The larger ones are constructed such that the bottom of the holster is *open* on both sides, so that things could conceivably fall out on either side, which I don't like.

- Tim

Tim,

I don't know how big your phone is, but I have a Blackberry Curve and it fits perfectly in a large Timbuk2 holster -- and there are no holes on the bottom at all (except a tiny one for a headphone cord).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0