Musing on the Cafe Bag

G.R post on the blog and posted below reminded why I fell in love with the Cafe Bag.

"The Café Bag reminds me of the old poacher/hunter/general purpose bags some ages ago. Easy and simple access, extra pockets to put small items in, comfortable sling to carry the bag, just the right thing. Enough room for a small camera, cellular phone, umbrella, water bottle and many more “survival” items for the BIG city. Order and delivery was fast. Normally it can take some time for things to cross the Atlantic from the USA to Europe. Of course the costs are somewhat higher, but the quality and the design is hard to find over here in Europe."
    -- G.R.

The Cafe Bag reminds me of
    la musette: un sac porté en bandoulière
    which means a bag held cross-body.

This traditional bag was used intensively in French iconography depicting field workers sowing, men carrying small game, and in the 1930's, it was holding workers' lunch while they rode out the factories on bikes.

The musette crossed the Atlantic with French Canadians.

I love a Bag with a legacy. Yeah for the Cafe Bag!

My father introduced me into the term "musette" bag at a very early age. Long ago when I was in school backpacks were not popular at all. When I was a kid I used to carry too many books around and my father thought I needed a better bag so he talked about a musette bag from his time in the army. So we end up at an army/navy supply surplus store and buy a musette bag. I still have it in the garage. It did not help my popularity (gee, a kid with an army bag isn't popular, I wonder why) but it did do the job. But it was probably what made me dislike shoulder bags. The straps were horrible when it came to comfort.

I am kind of amazed that the term musette bag is still known out there.

Super Musette

Tom used to carry a line of bags called "Super Musette" circa 1996. I was fortunate enough to procure one via Craigslist not too long ago and use it as my game gear bag (PSP, DS Lite, paraphernalia and several game cartridges.)

(Photo's aren't mine btw, and found via the Laughing Meme blog.)
    Luis P.
    If it doesn't fit in your Tom Bihn bag, leave it behind

That does it!

We need an history of Tom Bihn bags as part of this forum.

Thanks for the stories and link

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    That does it!

We need an history of Tom Bihn bags as part of this forum.

Thanks for the stories and link
    Well, Darcy does occasionally post pictures that are a blast from the past like this 1995 LGD in purple

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0