Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Here are the photos. If there are any other angles you want just let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

hmm... looks like the 4X size may not be the ideal fit for the new MBP, but would probably work well enough for those of us that can't afford replacing our gear.

i was curious as to why exactly (in what dimension?) the new machine didn't fit, because going by the specs (as listed on apple's site) the new one is only a quarter inch wider, and less than a quarter inch deeper, or "longer". that translates to an increase of less than 2% in width, and just about 2% in depth.

then you have to take account of the fact that the new one is also 2.5% (0.22") thinner, which would help an "old" 4X sleeve wrap itself around the new casing.

here is a page that lists all the dimensions of the old and new:

http://gizmodo.com/5063371/sizemodo-...ir-forebearers

i'm hardly a bag designer, but it looks like one size might fit both the old and the new. maybe make it a tiny bit snugger on the old MBP, in order to provide the full impact resistance for the new one? that an add a quarter inch in length and width. seems like that would hold both pretty nicely.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    weijia: Thank you for the photos! That was very helpful.

Our friend Sparky visited our Seattle Showroom yesterday with his New 15" MacBook Pro: we were able to test it in every bag. The verdict? If you already have a Size 4X Brain Cell that you've been using for your previous model MBP, you can probably fit your New 15" MBP inside of it and be happy depending on what type of fit you expect from your Brain Cell - how much your Brain Cell has been "broken in" will determine how good of a fit it is.

If you don't have a 4X Brain Cell and need one for your New 15" MacBook Pro, you'll want the new Size 4Z. The fit of the New 15" MBP inside of a new 4X Brain Cell is poor: it bulges, doesn't quite close at the top, and is just not the kind of fit that you want a brand-new bag to provide.

The new 4Z Brain Cell will provide a perfect, custom fit for the New 15" MacBook Pro.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

any word on whether it fits in the buzz?

and since it fits (admittedly poorly) in the 4X brain cell, i'm assuming i will still be able to use my zephyr?

Quote Originally Posted by vm7118 View Post
    any word on whether it fits in the buzz?
    Yes. It does fit in the Buzz!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hey Darcy,

Getting any closer on specific dates that the Brain Cells will be ready for shipping?

I really don't want to buy a temporary case while I wait for the Brain Cell.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
    Hey Darcy,

Getting any closer on specific dates that the Brain Cells will be ready for shipping?
    Sometime next week!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Sometime next week!
    awesome! just finished ordering it! thanks. can't wait to receive it.

Just gave up my PC for a new MBP and was considering the empire builder till I researched further and see that the EB size for every day use will be too large (for me anyways). So I tried to order the Zephyr but didn't see an option for a 4z brain cell, which led me to the forums and this depressing news --

Unfortunately, the 4Z Brain Cell definitely won't fit in the Zephyr. The new 15" MBP with a simple, thin padded sleeve *would* fit in the Zephyr, though - Tom is designing a new kind of slim sleeve for the 4Z, but it probably won't be available until February/March/April 2009.
    The earliest the 4z slim sleeve will be out is 3 to 6 months out? Rats! That will obviously be a deal breaker as I need a new bag now.

Update: the 4Z Brain Cell will be shipping next week.

It does in fact fit in the Ego.

The 4Z Soft Cell will ship within 3 weeks - much sooner than expected! It will be in a new Silver matte laminated foam fabric.

Update: the 4Z Brain Cell will be shipping next week.

It does in fact fit in the Ego.

The 4Z Soft Cell will ship within 3 weeks - much sooner than expected! It will be in a new Silver matte laminated foam fabric.
    Hi Darcy. The Ego is too casual for my purposes (daily transport to & from office/meetings with city officials). If nothing else, and not being able to pull the trigger on the Zepher, the Empire Builder is the bag that comes closest to my world; but the size scares me. It's difficult not being able to see the EB in person. All the same, I appreciate your quick reply.

I just bought my husband an EB for his birthday. It is a freaking beautiful bag. It also looks MUCH smaller than I expected it to. It isn't overwhelming for him at all. Granted he is 6', but really, it is a lot more compact looking. We did not expect it to fit as much as it can.
    Proud owner of; Ego (first run) in Black/Steel/Deep Blue; medium organizer pouches in cayenne and crimson; small organizer pouches in olive, pink and storm blue; mini organizer pouch in sapphire; quarter packing cube; ego strips in crimson, plum, blue glitter and sapphire.

Quote Originally Posted by rsd22 View Post
    Hi Darcy. The Ego is too casual for my purposes (daily transport to & from office/meetings with city officials). If nothing else, and not being able to pull the trigger on the Zepher, the Empire Builder is the bag that comes closest to my world; but the size scares me. It's difficult not being able to see the EB in person. All the same, I appreciate your quick reply.
    not sure if you saw this, but this person has both the Zephyr and Empire Builder. Posted a very nice comparison.

In the meantime. Awaiting the 4Z myself. Hopefully it shipped, if not, will be shipping soon.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
    not sure if you saw this...
    Yes I did; Thx.... In fact, had I not read the review you referenced (or saw the Zeph as being a viable alternative) I'd probably have gone with the EB out of the gate. I still may end up with the EB down the road if I can't find the combined look (and feel) that I'm searching for in a bag....

yay! brain cell 4z shipped! Can't wait to get it and review it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0