Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Newbie question: ID vs Empire Builder

Zephyr vs EB

I tossed up long and hard re: the Zephyr vs the EB - was the EB too bulky, would the zephyr have enough space - there are loads of these threads on the forum.

For everyday use - sans laptop - the EB is much roomier than I really need - plenty of space and on the border of being perhaps a little too bulky.

I travelled with it for the first time a month ago with laptop - and the EB is perfect. I had a braincell with 14" laptop, snake charmer with mouse and cables and a couple of novels and bits and pieces in the main pocket. It was perfect, and I suspect the Zephyr may have been a bit on the small side for me.

Super Moderator
    Between the ID (or any messenger bag, really) and the Empire Builder or the Zephyr, it's a choice of somewhat squishy and conformable vs. a round-edged rectangle. For carrying important files or documents, I'd take the briefcase sort. For most purposes (for me), I'd take the ID ... but depending on what I was taking, there are trips I'd definitely prefer the Zephyr.

(The Zephyr's a hair smaller than I expected, but there are all kinds of expectation games with bags, with some people describing any given bag as "much larger than it seems on paper," etc. But the Zephyr is a very *nice* size, regardless )

timothy

All,
    Thanks for the great comments. I ended up going with a Zephyr and it should be here on Monday! I'm sure it won't be my last Tom Bihn laptop bag...what a great way to start my new addiction!

Well the Zephyr showed up yesterday and all I can say is...WOW!!! This by far is the best built bag I've ever owned. I am impressed with the incredible quality of materials and workmenship. Now that I am proud owner of a Tom Bihn laptop bag, I can fully understand what all the fuss was about. Every stitch, every seam, every zipper is top of the line...and darn if it doesn't look good! I went with the black, crimson and steel...I love the look of it. Not to mention is stands out from every other briefcase I've seen...yet keeps that professional look.

I bought the Absolute Shoulder Strap earlier for this briefcase and its pure poetry when you put the two together. Tom Bihn and company...I'm hooked! Thanks for such a high quality product and GREAT customer service!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Piper View Post
    Well the Zephyr showed up yesterday and all I can say is...WOW!!! This by far is the best built bag I've ever owned. I am impressed with the incredible quality of materials and workmenship.
    Glad to hear it. I will pass on your comments to our factory crew.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0