Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buzz as "personal item" in the cabin?

Hi,

I just got an Aeronaut in addition to the Buzz and as I have several overseas trips coming up, I was wondering if people have experience with bringing the Buzz as "personal item" on board in addition to their actual carry-on, in my case obviously the Aeronaut. Has anyone had problems with the Buzz being considered too large for that use?

I have previously never brought more than one item on board (and usually checked in stuff), but as proud owner of my new Tom Bihn gear, I am pondering optimal usage of my luggage, possibly avoiding checking in any luggage on some trips.

As far as airlines go, I particularly need it to work with BA, LH and UA right now.

Thanks,
    Kai
    Last edited by khaberz; 09-03-2008 at 05:11 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi there,

i can't help but smile as i remember the scene from the movie "meet the parents" where ben stiller has to check in his bag when it won't fit as it goes through security .

okay, getting down to business - i think it depends on where you are going and what airline / type of jet you are flying.

i fly out of washington dulles and reagan national airport mostly, so my account reflects my experience at these airports.

usually, the folks at the check in counter won't bother with what your carry on bags. however, i have been asked about the weight of a carryon bag and have been advised that 20lb is the limit.

i don't think the folks at the security gate will fuss at the combo.

likewise, i don't think the staff on the airplane will have issue with the combo provided that you are not in a smaller regional jet where overhead space is extremely small.

i have had to do plane-side check-in of the aeronaut flying between newark, nj and washington dulles in a small regional jet.

the only place i have seen a strict enforcement of carry-on luggage is when i have flown into, out of, or connected through london heathrow airport. they have a strict limit of one carry-on only, regardless of whether you are flying coach or first class.

let us know if you have additional questions and also share your experiences on the routes that you fly.

maverick

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    the only place i have seen a strict enforcement of carry-on luggage is when i have flown into, out of, or connected through london heathrow airport. they have a strict limit of one carry-on only, regardless of whether you are flying coach or first class.
    The one-bag limit at London Heathrow has been lifted earlier this year. Incidentally, my next flight will go into Heathrow, so I'll see if I have any trouble. Both BA and Heathrow rules allow for 1 carry-on + 1 personal item.

Other than that, my experiences have been similar to yours. Only ever seen carry-on rules being enforced on small commuter jets. However, I personally never had more than one carry on and that one normally was way below limits. That'll change now, thanks to the Aeronaut.

let us know if you have additional questions and also share your experiences on the routes that you fly.
    Will do!

Volunteer Moderator
    thanks - i'm glad to hear that the one bag limit for heathrow has been lifted.

this may not apply to the buzz, but for those whose second bag is a small or medium cafe bag - if you have a bit of wiggle room in your aeronaut, you may be able to stuff that second bag inside the aeronaut.

you might ask why you would want to do this. it is often convenient to have a second bag, whether it is the buzz, the convertible packing cube/backpack, or a cafe bag at your destination. it is also sometimes easier to go through the airport, rail or other transportation system with just one bag. so by stuffing the second bag into the aeronaut, you can have the second bag with you and not have to worry about a second bag when would rather not.

I would have not thought of doing that with my Large Cafe Bag inside my Brain Bag because the Brain Bag is usually at capacity.

But...the extra bag idea is definitely worth considering with the
    Aeronaute.

Do you think an Large Cafe Bag could be squeezed into an Aeronaute already set up with a filled Backpack cube?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I would have not thought of doing that with my Large Cafe Bag inside my Brain Bag because the Brain Bag is usually at capacity.

But...the extra bag idea is definitely worth considering with the
    Aeronaute.

Do you think an Large Cafe Bag could be squeezed into an Aeronaute already set up with a filled Backpack cube?
    I have carried an empty Large Cafe Bag inside an Aeronaut. I have a Convertible Packing Cube/Backpack on its way to me, and also a Large Cafe Bag. Let me try it out when it arrives and I will let you know what I find.

maverick

this may not apply to the buzz, but for those whose second bag is a small or medium cafe bag - if you have a bit of wiggle room in your aeronaut, you may be able to stuff that second bag inside the aeronaut.
    This is actually an option for me, but only for trips where I'm checking in a suitcase anyway and therefore have more space available overall. But for the shorter carry-on-only trips, I don't think I'd have enough space left if I stuffed my buzz (and notebook) into the Aeronaut.

I've taken my Buzz as a personal item in addition to a carry-on-sized roller bag many times. It's much smaller than many briefcases & purses. I think mainly your personal item is supposed to fit under the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by slinstar View Post
    I've taken my Buzz as a personal item in addition to a carry-on-sized roller bag many times. It's much smaller than many briefcases & purses. I think mainly your personal item is supposed to fit under the seat.
    Excellent. That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by slinstar View Post
    I do this all the time. Aeronaut/Buzz combo is my default method of travel now. I've never checked either.
    Proud owner of the sapphire/steel Buzz, crimson Aeronaut, steel/crimson Empire Builder, two Absolute Straps, steel Brain Cell, quarter convertible packing cube, and a variety of other packing cubes.

The Aeronaut/Buzz bag combo is also my default. I use it on the major carriers as well as the smaller carriers (charters). I haven't had any problems yet.

I also always insert a Red Oxx Small Aviator Bag Mesh inside the Aeronaut for dirty laundry/wet items. This can also be used for unexpected purchases on the return trip.
    Brain Bag, The Aeronaut, Empire Builder, The Buzz, (patiently waiting for a larger Ristretto )

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like I won't have any problems with this combination then.

I have carried an empty Large Cafe Bag inside an Aeronaut. I have a Convertible Packing Cube/Backpack on its way to me, and also a Large Cafe Bag. Let me try it out when it arrives and I will let you know what I find.

maverick
    Thanks maverick!

Your help is appreciated

I have managed to wedge a fairly well loaded Super Ego under a seat before. Too many folks with rolly bags in this world. *sigh :-)

Super Moderator
    "I have managed to wedge a fairly well loaded Super Ego under a seat before. Too many folks with rolly bags in this world. *sigh :-)"

I'd love to see a no-baggage airline, with a robot-parking system as you board the plane. Carry-on only? Keep your under-seat and small overhead bag with you. Rolly-carry-size? Put it in the right-sized slot / hole in the ground, and the "robot" -- unseen -- packs it intelligently in the plane's cargo hold (which is empty of conventional checked baggage). cf http://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty.../2001/03/41905 -- though with a bit less randomness, for good weight distribution -- perhaps it could learn to counterbalance the weight of the passengers!

timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0