Synapse Backpack soon?

I know there is a ton of buzz still around because of the new Checkpoint Flyer, but I'm starting to get a little anxious about the Synapse backpack.

I'm a highschool student with 5 AP classes this year, and I was planning on buying the Synapse hopefully before school started... which was about a week and a half ago. I've been following it's progress since it's been mentioned, and I'm really excited about getting one, because it seems to be practically perfect (for me) in every way.

So here's my question, and I hope it isn't too demanding or direct. Is there a general date yet for when the Synapse will make its debut? And when will it be?

Sadly, I think if it's going to be a couple months away still- I am going to need a quick (and hopefully low in cost) fix, because my Large Cafe Bag is just not going to get the job done. I can't believe that I'm asking this in the Tom Bihn forum, but does have any recommendations or warnings about certain brands of cheap backpacks? I used to buy Jansport before I became a TB fanatic, so do you think that'd get me through the waiting for the Synapse?

Any replies would be very much appreciated. ^_^

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Sadly the Synapse is still a couple of months out. I do wonder if the Synapse would work well for a student: are you planning on carrying many books?
    Think of the Synapse as a Christmas present to yourself!

Here's what I usually (try to anyway) put in my school bag:
    1 1/2" binder
    1" binder
    2 paperback novels
    1-2 textbook(s)
    graphing calculator
    various other school items

I considered buying a Brain Bag, but I think it's a bit too big for what I need. Plus, I really love the pockets and the overall look on the Synapse more than the Brain Bag.

*sigh* Okay. I'll just try to wait patiently then for the next couple months.

Thank you for the reply.
    Last edited by nosilla; 08-28-2008 at 09:24 PM.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    It's the binder that's the problem: the Synapse is contoured and tapered for comfort, so the top corners of the binder likely will either poke out on the sides of the bag or not allow you to close the zipper entirely.
    The Synapse is not really intended to carry large rectilinear objects like laptops, books or binders. Rather we designed it for clothing, snacks, etc. for hiking and/or travel.
    Just hate to have you wait for a bag that may not be what you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by nosilla View Post

I considered buying a Brain Bag, but I think it's a bit too big for what I need. Plus, I really love the pockets and the overall look on the Synapse more than the Brain Bag.

Thank you for the reply.
    What about the Smart Alec? Much smaller & lighter than the Brain Bag, but probably would fit what you need it to. It's bigger than what I need for grad school / work (I'm waiting for the Synapse too) but I think would have been good for the big books I carried around in high school. It doesn't have as many exterior pockets as the Synapse but looks like it has a fair number of internal pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    The Synapse is not really intended to carry large rectilinear objects like laptops, books or binders. Rather we designed it for clothing, snacks, etc. for hiking and/or travel.
    What about small laptops? I usually don't own anything larger than 12.1". I ask this because I was hoping to use the Synapse to fly with, and I always fly with all my electronics that on me (I don't trust that my suitcases are safe). At the very least this includes my laptop (sometimes this includes my small PS2 and/or my Wii; all small but "rectilinear" objects).

Synapse for Christmas? Hopefully it'll be out before I travel for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    It's the binder that's the problem: the Synapse is contoured and tapered for comfort, so the top corners of the binder likely will either poke out on the sides of the bag or not allow you to close the zipper entirely.
    Just hate to have you wait for a bag that may not be what you are looking for
    Well, thank you for the warning- maybe I won't buy the Synapse after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinstar View Post
    What about the Smart Alec? Much smaller & lighter than the Brain Bag, but probably would fit what you need it to. It's bigger than what I need for grad school / work (I'm waiting for the Synapse too) but I think would have been good for the big books I carried around in high school. It doesn't have as many exterior pockets as the Synapse but looks like it has a fair number of internal pockets.
    The only thing that is keeping me from buying the Smart Alec (sadly) is it's overall look. :\ I really want a backpack that doesn't stand out too much amongst all the Jansports and other backpacks (I want to be as "normal" as I can during highschool), which is why I like the Synapse so much.

Well, maybe I'll just end up getting the Brain Bag or the ID. I'll need to think about it for a while and re-assess what I need in a bag/backpack.

Volunteer Moderator
    Sounds like the Synapse is exactly what I've been waiting for - gonna be a good Christmas for me! =D

Quote Originally Posted by nosilla View Post
    Well, thank you for the warning- maybe I won't buy the Synapse after all.

The only thing that is keeping me from buying the Smart Alec (sadly) is it's overall look. :\ I really want a backpack that doesn't stand out too much amongst all the Jansports and other backpacks (I want to be as "normal" as I can during highschool), which is why I like the Synapse so much.

Well, maybe I'll just end up getting the Brain Bag or the ID. I'll need to think about it for a while and re-assess what I need in a bag/backpack.
    I'm no expert on what all the Jansports look like but seems like the Smart Alec is totally unique in looks to just about all other backpacks. It's the one reason I hated to pick the Brain Bag over the Smart Alec. For me the BB looks more typical of all bags out there and the SA looks like nothing else on the market. For example, most bags have pouches on the outside to carry water but the SA is the only one with zippers to hold them inside and out of view (not to mention a drainage hole in one pocket).

But it's all what looks best to you. Good luck.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timarelay View Post
    What about small laptops? I usually don't own anything larger than 12.1".
    That'll probably work! I was able to even squeeze my 15.4" MBP in the Synapse when I had to, but we probably won't recommend doing that because it puts too much stress on the corners of the bag...
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Will it hold a regular notebook (paper, not computer) like a letter-sized spiral or Levenger Circa?

Maybe an Alphasmart Neo? Those are the things I've been planning on using a Synapse for.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    That'll probably work! I was able to even squeeze my 15.4" MBP in the Synapse when I had to, but we probably won't recommend doing that because it puts too much stress on the corners of the bag...
    Great! That's all I needed to hear =).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0