Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    The Brain Cell ancestor, the Archetype, is also checkpoint friendly.

Thanks Tom and Darcy for making my trips easier

So, for as much as I travel, I'm intrigued and "almost" willing to retire my much loved Zephyr...

Some of the things which would help are:

1) more pictures of the interior of the case (the main pocket)
    2) some ideas for where to stow all the items currently placed under the flap in the Zephyr (key fob, pens, pencil, business cards, access badges, etc)
    3) more detail about the pockets shown in the "f" rollover block

Thanks in advance....

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I was just listening to Windows Weekly with Paul Thurrott episode 71 on twit.tv and Leo Laporte hinted at the new Checkpoint Flyer.
    Maybe he review it for you guys on his Daily Giz Wiz show like they did the Western Flyer.

He mentioned it about 11 minutes into the boradcast.
    That's way cool! Thank you!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    You guys rock. That bag is sweet! I really am thinking a little harder about picking this one up. On question. Will the 17" Mac Book laptop case hold a Lenovo T61P?
    It will, but it won't be that great of a fit for your T61P. You might want to wait for the PC sizes of laptop insert we plan to introduce around November.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Ah, I will wait for the PC sizes. One other thing, the T61P has the extended battery as this brute will zap power like nobody's business.
    So the case will have to fit the larger battery also (at least for me).
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Darcy,

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    It will, but it won't be that great of a fit for your T61P. You might want to wait for the PC sizes of laptop insert we plan to introduce around November.
    The additional sizes for laptop inserts sound great, especially for the ThinkPad T-series laptops. You should probably ask MikeL and others whether he has a widescreen model T61p (I bet he does, if he was asking about using the MacBook Pro 17" case and this is a recent purchase). I'd guess there isn't much room for the extended life battery.

Just a few questions I've been meaning to ask:
    • Can you roughly compare the space available in the non-laptop part of the Checkpoint Flyer with the Western Flyer's compartments? The two are close in overall size (18.5" x 12.5" x 7.5" for the CF; 18"x12"x7" for the WF), with the Checkpoint Flyer slightly larger in face-on profile. The main compartment of the CF has about 75% of the volume of the Western Flyer, so I'd guess that makes for a compartment that is deeper than either the front (zipper-separated) or back (can hold laptop) sections alone of the Western Flyer. This is an interesting comparison for people who have the Western Flyer and want to think about the different ways the space might be used between the two bags.

• Do you have a separate price for the laptop bag? I think it would be useful to post this for the pre-orders for a few reasons: First, there are some people who may have more than one size of laptop and want to order a second compatible laptop bag. Secondly, I've seen comments on a few sites about how the Checkpoint Flyer has an interesting design, but is pricey. I think what people are failing to think about here, is that this is a combination travel bag and laptop case that work together. Many people might well separately purchase a laptop case. The point here is that this is a combination of laptop case and travel bag that work together, and where you can separately detach and use the laptop bag all by itself without the travel bag part. However, the combination gives you more than the sum of the parts in convenience and flexibility when brought together. I'd include some pictures of the laptop bag being used separately. If there's an easy-to-use way to show the main Checkpoint Flyer bag with the front section latched in, and without the laptop bag inserted, I'd show that, too. These are, of course, subsidiary to the main pictures and animated GIF you've prepared showing the Checkpoint Flyer in action at an inspection station, but I think it would help people keep in mind how much they're actually getting.

• How well do the Mac-sized laptop cases fit other computer models? Is the case like the Archetype, or is there extra cushioning around the sides on the inside? (This is a bit like MikeL's question, since you now list that these cases will fit computers "up to" <specified dimension> on the product page.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    • Do you have a separate price for the laptop bag? I think it would be useful to post this for the pre-orders for a few reasons: First, there are some people who may have more than one size of laptop and want to order a second compatible laptop bag. Secondly, I've seen comments on a few sites about how the Checkpoint Flyer has an interesting design, but is pricey. I think what people are failing to think about here, is that this is a combination travel bag and laptop case that work together. Many people might well separately purchase a laptop case. The point here is that this is a combination of laptop case and travel bag that work together, and where you can separately detach and use the laptop bag all by itself without the travel bag part. However, the combination gives you more than the sum of the parts in convenience and flexibility when brought together. I'd include some pictures of the laptop bag being used separately. If there's an easy-to-use way to show the main Checkpoint Flyer bag with the front section latched in, and without the laptop bag inserted, I'd show that, too. These are, of course, subsidiary to the main pictures and animated GIF you've prepared showing the Checkpoint Flyer in action at an inspection station, but I think it would help people keep in mind how much they're actually getting.

I'm also curious to find out if the laptop cases that come with the CP Flyer will be sold separately as I am thinking about getting a 15" MBP down the road. Right now I have the MacBook Air and I have a CP Flyer on order with the 13" case for the MBA, but I will need the 15" case size if I go with the MBP later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    Some of the things which would help are:

1) more pictures of the interior of the case (the main pocket)
    2) some ideas for where to stow all the items currently placed under the flap in the Zephyr (key fob, pens, pencil, business cards, access badges, etc)
    3) more detail about the pockets shown in the "f" rollover block
    You'll see new pictures and an updated, very detailed description next week. These should answer all of your questions. Maybe even video!

Hi moriond!

Excellent questions and observations, as always. My answers are below.

Just a few questions I've been meaning to ask:
    • Can you roughly compare the space available in the non-laptop part of the Checkpoint Flyer with the Western Flyer's compartments? The two are close in overall size (18.5" x 12.5" x 7.5" for the CF; 18"x12"x7" for the WF), with the Checkpoint Flyer slightly larger in face-on profile. The main compartment of the CF has about 75% of the volume of the Western Flyer, so I'd guess that makes for a compartment that is deeper than either the front (zipper-separated) or back (can hold laptop)
    The foor print or "face on" of the Checkpoint Flyer and the Western Flyer are the same; each Western Flyer's compartment is about 90mm or 3.5" thick; the main compartment of the Checkpoint Flyer is about 70mm or 2.75" thick.

The volumes for the WF are correct, but the volume for the CF was incorrect. We have remeasured the Checkpoint Flyer - the correct volume is 12.5 liters or 765 cu.in.

• Do you have a separate price for the laptop bag? I think it would be useful to post this for the pre-orders for a few reasons: First, there are some people who may have more than one size of laptop and want to order a second compatible laptop bag. Secondly, I've seen comments on a few sites about how the Checkpoint Flyer has an interesting design, but is pricey. I think what people are failing to think about here, is that this is a combination travel bag and laptop case that work together. Many people might well separately purchase a laptop case. The point here is that this is a combination of laptop case and travel bag that work together, and where you can separately detach and use the laptop bag all by itself without the travel bag part. However, the combination gives you more than the sum of the parts in convenience and flexibility when brought together. I'd include some pictures of the laptop bag being used separately.
    Good points. The price of the laptop insert hasn't been finalized but won't be far off from the Brain Cell ($60). We originally had pictures showing the laptop insert by itself, but felt that some would be confused, thinking that they would have to unclip the laptop insert from the bag in order send the bag through the x-ray machine, which is not the case (ha ha).

As far as people thinking the bag is pricey - considering everything that goes into it, it's not. But I know that you know that! We are working on several pages to add to the Web site that will help explain what goes into our bags and what makes them what they are for the price that they are: the highest-quality materials, innovative design, and superior workmanship that one is hard-pressed to find elsewhere.

We think that most people will probably leave the laptop insert clipped in at all times, even outside of the airport. The Checkpoint Flyer makes an excellent everyday bag. In fact, as soon as I can get one (our Seattle factory will have the first Checkpoint Flyers - with the 15.4" MacBook Pro insert - ready very soon) I plan to use it as my main, everyday laptop bag. It's the perfect size for what I need to carry, and I like the pockets and organization. It's a great looking bag: the curved lines of the front flap zippers, IMO, take the handsomeness of the Aeronaut a step further.

I think your points are good ones and that all of this will be more easily explained when laptop insert has its own page so that it can be purchased (and explained) separately.

• How well do the Mac-sized laptop cases fit other computer models? Is the case like the Archetype, or is there extra cushioning around the sides on the inside? (This is a bit like MikeL's question, since you now list that these cases will fit computers "up to" <specified dimension> on the product page.)
    There's maybe a little more wiggle room in this laptop insert than in the Archetype. There's actually quite a few PC laptops that fit in the 17" MacBook Pro and 13" MacBook sizes of the laptop insert. Far fewer PCs fit in the 15" MacBook Pro insert.

We're likely going to produce two PC sizes of Checkpoint Flyer laptop insert to begin with. Feedback is welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by suden View Post
    I'm also curious to find out if the laptop cases that come with the CP Flyer will be sold separately as I am thinking about getting a 15" MBP down the road. Right now I have the MacBook Air and I have a CP Flyer on order with the 13" case for the MBA, but I will need the 15" case size if I go with the MBP later on.
    Yes: the laptop insert will be sold separately. Soon!

In about 3 weeks, I'm off to North Carolina (vacation plus election work) and I'm really interested in the Checkpoint Flyer. I'm flying with my Sony Vaio TZ series. Should I wait for the PC sizes or is there a size available now which will work for me?

Quote Originally Posted by lgsplace View Post
    In about 3 weeks, I'm off to North Carolina (vacation plus election work) and I'm really interested in the Checkpoint Flyer. I'm flying with my Sony Vaio TZ series. Should I wait for the PC sizes or is there a size available now which will work for me?
    I'd recommend going with the 13" MacBook/Air size of Checkpoint Flyer for your Sony VAIO TZ series. Your laptop is a little bit smaller than those Apple laptops, but the 13" size should still provide a fine fit. It's looking like our first PC sizes will be for larger 15" and 17" PC laptops.

The Checkpoint Flyer with the 13" insert should be shipping within the next two weeks!

Have a good trip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0