Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Darcy -- Is the laptop section held to the rest of the bag by the new connectors that allow for the removable waist straps? That's a *great* idea. It's semi-permanently attached to the rest of the bag, but it's also possible to remove the laptop section by itself if necessary. I love those little Tom Bihn touches!

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    The only problem will be making sure all the TSA agents know you can do this and not force you to take it out of the bag.
    I've read a lot of comments around the Internet about this, but I just don't see the problem. TSA workers don't look in your bags until *after* something comes up on the scanner. In all my travels, I've never seen a TSA worker force somebody to open a bag before the scanner. How will they even know a laptop is in there?

Just unfold your Checkpoint Flyer and place it on the conveyor belt. If somebody reminds you to "Remove all laptops," just ignore them, or nod and say, "I'm good."

The people checking the scanner are the ones who know what to look for, and the only reason they should ask you to remove your laptop from the bag is if it doesn't scan properly (shouldn't be a problem with Tom's design), or if there is something else in the same bag that gets their attention (like drinking water, a nail file, or explosives).

One snag that people are going to run into is using approved bags in un-approved ways. An approved sleeve might have a small pocket (like the Brain Cell), and if the traveler keeps a power supply or something else in that pocket, it's going to fail the scan. Thankfully, Tom's design for the Checkpoint Flyer seems to avoid that possibility altogether, as all the pockets are on the other parts of the bag.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ Nemeth View Post
    Darcy -- Is the laptop section held to the rest of the bag by the new connectors that allow for the removable waist straps? That's a *great* idea. It's semi-permanently attached to the rest of the bag, but it's also possible to remove the laptop section by itself if necessary. I love those little Tom Bihn touches!
    Yes, and this should answer all questions:
    http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/628

Video is still on the way!!!

The people checking the scanner are the ones who know what to look for, and the only reason they should ask you to remove your laptop from the bag is if it doesn't scan properly (shouldn't be a problem with Tom's design), or if there is something else in the same bag that gets their attention (like drinking water, a nail file, or explosives).

One snag that people are going to run into is using approved bags in un-approved ways. An approved sleeve might have a small pocket (like the Brain Cell), and if the traveler keeps a power supply or something else in that pocket, it's going to fail the scan. Thankfully, Tom's design for the Checkpoint Flyer seems to avoid that possibility altogether, as all the pockets are on the other parts of the bag.
    Very good points -- you're exactly right.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I've read a lot of comments around the Internet about this, but I just don't see the problem. TSA workers don't look in your bags until *after* something comes up on the scanner. In all my travels, I've never seen a TSA worker force somebody to open a bag before the scanner. How will they even know a laptop is in there?

Just unfold your Checkpoint Flyer and place it on the conveyor belt. If somebody reminds you to "Remove all laptops," just ignore them, or nod and say, "I'm good."

You can ignore the person that asks you to remove the laptop if you want but they may still ask you again if they think you have one. It's not that they are trying to be jerks or something but are just trying to do their job and keep things moving. I suppose technically we can all just ignore the person who asks us to remove the laptop even with a regular bag if we want and hope the scanner has no issues, but I consider it best to just do what they want to avoid any issues.

The other issue would be the person at the scanner who (I assume) sees a laptop in a bag and doesn't know the new rule. They could then rescan your laptop and have you remove it even though TB followed the rules given by the TSA.

It's not a huge deal but I can see some TSA agents just not being up on the latest info. I am more worried about the consumer who gets all in a huff about TSA rules than I am about the TSA. Personally I don't care much what they want me to do as long as it means a safe flight. But I still see people moan about taking off shoes or the liquid policy. I can see the same with getting a TSA approved bag like this one and then having an agent force you to remove it.

The irony is that I can see someone getting this bag to save time, run into a confused TSA checker, and then proceeding to argue about the rules regarding the bag for so long they end up taking more time then if they had just taken the laptop out after being asked.

I'm sure after a while it won't be problem as everyone starts to understand the new rules.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    The other issue would be the person at the scanner who (I assume) sees a laptop in a bag and doesn't know the new rule. They could then rescan your laptop and have you remove it even though TB followed the rules given by the TSA.

It's not a huge deal but I can see some TSA agents just not being up on the latest info.
    The new guidelines allowing checkpoint-friendly laptop bags went into effect last Saturday, August 16th. Early reports I've read across the internet seem to indicate that security personnel are letting approved bags* through without any problems. (Not Tom Bihn's bag specifically, but other bags designed to follow these TSA guidelines.)

Ultimately, the issue with all laptops is the quality of the X-ray scan. If you keep your laptop in an unapproved bag, they'll notice as soon as it scans. If you've ever had a chance to see the scans, you'll know how obvious it is when a laptop is packed with other things, or slightly obstructed by metal zippers and snaps. If your laptop is in an approved bag, the person viewing the screen will get a clear scan of your laptop, and he or she will have no reason to hassle you to remove it. (And yes, airport security personnel are aware of the new guidelines -- they're not THAT stupid.)

When the MacBook Air with solid-state hard drive was first released, it was causing some delays in airport security simply because its scan profile looks abnormal -- there's no hard drive! But it didn't take long for security personnel to be brought up to speed to recognize the scan profile of laptops with solid-state hard drives.

With the MacBook Air, nobody foresaw the problem, so there was confusion at first, and some delays for frustrated passengers. With this new rule for laptop bags, security personnel have received prior notice and training. But most importantly, the laptop scans from approved bags* will be clear and unobstructed -- no abnormalities. As I mentioned, everything I've read seems to indicate that things are working smoothly with the new bags.

TSA Website about the new rules for laptop bags:
    http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/...rocedures.shtm

- - - - - - - - - -
    * FYI, I'll sometimes use the phrase "approved bag." However, the TSA doesn't have any sort of approval process or certification. If a bag follows the guidelines, and is used properly by the traveler, then it should work. We have a first-hand report from Tom Bihn himself that the Checkpoint Flyer was tested on TSA's own machines and passed with flying colors -- that's good enough for me. But for the record, there is no such thing as an "approved bag," because the TSA doesn't approve them. I use the term because it's easier than saying "bag designed to meet the TSA's specifications."

Keep this in mind if you (or a non-Tom Bihn-using friend) ever shop for a "Checkpoint Friendly" bag from another manufacturer.
    Last edited by BJ Nemeth; 08-20-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrnoid View Post
    OK I get it! Pretty cool solution!! Could you please rebuild your ani-gif to replay continuously? My page refresh does not invoke a replay.
    Thanks.
    Here you go.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    TB/Darcy - Congratulations! The bag looks great. I expect I'll be ordering one to add to my ever growing collection. Now if you're looking for an average guy review, I'll be going to Nebraska this Saturday, I'd be happy to test it out!! :>)
    Thank you!! Alas, there is only one Checkpoint Flyer in existence as of yet, and it's the one you see in the pictures (made for my 15.4" MBP.) We're working on getting more samples and pre-orders out ASAP...

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrnoid View Post
    WOW! That is one cool looking bag and a fascinating concept. I can't wait to see the functionality of SHOW LAPTOP. More pics please !!! Is that Tom in the pics? If so, he looks excellent as a model !!
    These amazing pictures from the Imago Metrics evaluation of the ID bag inspired our airport Checkpoint Flyer photo session.

Better but it still won't replay upon page refresh.It's a setting in your animation window.Also, be away that high bandwidth users will see it much faster than DSL users, so I'd SLOW it down just a tad please. I like the conveyor belt simulation- !!! How about some X-ray shots for fun ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

I dragged the original GIF to my desktop (I'm on a Mac), and was able to open it in Preview (the standard Mac image viewing program). It broke the animated GIF down into its component photos, which I could browse at my leisure.

It should be possible to do something comparable on Windows as well.

I dragged the original GIF to my desktop (I'm on a Mac), and was able to open it in Preview (the standard Mac image viewing program). It broke the animated GIF down into its component photos, which I could browse at my leisure.

It should be possible to do something comparable on Windows as well.
    Worked fine on my Windows based PC. I just downloaded the .gif and it ran fine.
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

I was just listening to Windows Weekly with Paul Thurrott episode 71 on twit.tv and Leo Laporte hinted at the new Checkpoint Flyer.
    Maybe he review it for you guys on his Daily Giz Wiz show like they did the Western Flyer.

He mentioned it about 11 minutes into the boradcast.
    Last edited by MikeL; 08-22-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Other bags that meet TSA requirements

I just read the TSA requirements and it appears that the Brain Cell would work if one removed the metal snaps. That would be a boon, since many of us already have them.

One thing that came to mind when I saw how the CpFB worked was the customization possibilities with those "Gatekeeper" clasps. If you don't want to lug around your laptop, swap out the laptop case for an organizer case or a Gatekeeper-compatible Freudian Slip. Or have a "weekender" case or Gatekeeper-compatible packing cube good for a change of clothes. The CpFB could become the basic framework for a new line of customized carry-ons with swappable modules. Darcy? Tom? What do you think?

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    We're already on it - the possibilities are (almost) limitless!

Quote Originally Posted by travls View Post
    I just read the TSA requirements and it appears that the Brain Cell would work if one removed the metal snaps. That would be a boon, since many of us already have them.
    Even with the metal snaps removed, the Brain Cell isn't "checkpoint friendly" because of the expandable mesh pocket on the front. The Soft Cell and Archetype are, as is, "checkpoint friendly".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0