Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

What do you put in the Aeronaut side zipper?

Just wanted to ask what people put in the side zipper of the Aeronaut? I'm not talking about the large side areas on both sides, just the one that is built into the single side of the bag. I just finished a trip and I was going to put my liquids in that area but my medium clear organizer (which I think is really the largest size) did not fit comfortably in that zipper. I would fit but I wanted to be able to grab the pouch quickly when I was in line. I was kind of bummed out too because I thought this would be a great idea for that pocket. After that didn't work I couldn't think of anything fun or neat to do with the pocket besides just regular storage.

I use that side zipper for my boarding pass while waiting at the airport, and I also keep a small Tom Bihn cordura organizer pouch attached to the key strap. I use the pouch to store receipts along with some quarters ($0.25) and crisp one dollar bills -- useful for tips and vending machines without bulking up the wallet in my pocket.

I use the two large side areas for my running shoes (the side without the zipper pocket), and my toiletries (the side *with* the zipper pocket). The shoes are much bulkier than my toiletries, and storing them next to the zipper pocket would make it difficult to access.

I just recently picked up a Tom Bihn Passport Pouch, which I plan to use from this point forward in place of the small pouch (to hold the same items, plus my passport while traveling internationally), and I also bought a Clear Quarter Packing Cube that I will tryout as my new toiletry bag. (My previous toiletry bag was the Tom Bihn "Kit" -- a beautiful little bag that just didn't fit my packing style, so it will be retasked to my desk.)

Volunteer Moderator
    Same here - I use that pocket for my boarding pass and a couple of small TB organizer pouches filled with random things - change, access cards, etc.

One more thing -- when going through airport security, that's also the pocket I use to stash my keys, iPhone, watch, bullet space pen, dog tags, and other items that need to be flushed before going through the metal detector. (There are some things I prefer to keep in pockets rather than in my bags.)

I was thinking I may need a few organizer pouches. The smaller ones would fit better. Sounds like a good excuse ... errr ... I mean good idea.

I can't see putting a boarding pass in there because you need it for the xray security check and after that I like to have it on me to get on the plane. But putting keys and phone and watch in there is a good idea.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0