New TSA Airport Security Bags

Do any of the Tom Binh Bags meet the new TSA standards? I would imagine that the Brain Cell might pass mustard on testing. Just curious.
    Last edited by calabar; 08-15-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: grammar

Oops - found the answer.

http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/604

Thanks.

So does that mean users of bags utilizing the brain cell must take the laptop out or do we need to get a new bag for travel in the US?

Any bag, sleeve, etc with any metal (includes zippers, snaps, clips, buckles, etc) is not "checkpoint friendly". If I recall correctly, the brain cell does have metal snaps (it's been a while since I had one - long story) and the laptop would have to be removed as best as I can tell from the info on the TSA blog website.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    Any bag, sleeve, etc with any metal (includes zippers, snaps, clips, buckles, etc) is not "checkpoint friendly". If I recall correctly, the brain cell does have metal snaps (it's been a while since I had one - long story) and the laptop would have to be removed as best as I can tell from the info on the TSA blog website.
    I thought that the Archetype, which has been deemed "checkpoint friendly", has a zipper whose head is metal. Does this still pass because the zipper heads are on the outside of the case, are localized, and don't obscure the X-ray scan of the laptop? Many other sleeves that use zippers (unlike the Soft Cell) use metal zipper heads even though there is no other metal used. And yes, the Brain Cell does have metal snaps.

I believe you're correct - the view of the laptop cannot be blocked in any way. Even thick brand badging is a no-no. If the sleeve has a pocket (like Waterfield sleeves), nothing can be in it.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Thumbs up

Bravo! This is a great looking bag. I really like my SE. I also don't travel by air enough to justify the CpFLB purchase; but if I did, it would be at the top of my list.
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0