Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Thread: Soft Cell?

Soft Cell?

Hi everyone,

I'm considering the soft cell for my 15" MacBook Pro and haven't found too many thoughts or reviews out there. Obviously know the Brain Cell is the ultimate, but would love to hear from anyone with the Soft Cell and how it is.

Thanks!

I have a soft cell for my MacBook, and it is perfectly nice. They are nicely padded and don't take up as much room as the Brain cells.
    Proud owner of; Ego (first run) in Black/Steel/Deep Blue; medium organizer pouches in cayenne and crimson; small organizer pouches in olive, pink and storm blue; mini organizer pouch in sapphire; quarter packing cube; ego strips in crimson, plum, blue glitter and sapphire.

I have a pair of soft cells for my toshiba u205 ( a vertical one for mylarge cafe bag and aeronaut, and a horrizontal one for my imago id and super ego... love them greatly with teh slim profile in the bags

I just got the Soft Cell for the MacBook Pro 17 and it looks and feels great on the mac. I previously used a Toucan sleeve with the ID (yes it fits!), and judging by the difficulty of fitting the mbp 17 with the Soft Cell instead of the Toucan sleeve, I know it has better protection than most sleeves out there. It's not a replacement for the ultimate protection of a Horizontal Brain Cell, but for those times I don't want to lug around the Super Ego/Brain Cell combo, the Soft Cell is a perfect fit, albeit snugly into the ID.
    Last edited by lpotr4; 06-28-2008 at 06:13 PM.

HMI
    Quote Originally Posted by BK07 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering the soft cell for my 15" MacBook Pro and haven't found too many thoughts or reviews out there. Obviously know the Brain Cell is the ultimate, but would love to hear from anyone with the Soft Cell and how it is.

Thanks!
    I have the size 4x Vertical Soft Cell for my 15" MacBook Pro and while I must say that it is wonderfully made and that it offers excellent protection, then I think that it is on the wee size in the length. Maybe the Soft Cell will adjust over time but for now I have to man handle the flap a bit to close it.

/Jan

12" powerbook

does anyone here has a 12" powerbook and uses a soft cell? what is the ideal size? I've been considering getting a Smart Alec and have been thinking of how I'd like to accommodate my computer in it. I don't think I'd need a brain cell; I've had this computer for four years and usually simply put it in a very simple sleeve (no padding of any kind) and in an insert in my backpack that is only minimally padded. I considered the brain cell but I'm afraid it would take too much room...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Quote Originally Posted by peregrina View Post
    does anyone here has a 12" powerbook and uses a soft cell? what is the ideal size? I've been considering getting a Smart Alec and have been thinking of how I'd like to accommodate my computer in it. I don't think I'd need a brain cell; I've had this computer for four years and usually simply put it in a very simple sleeve (no padding of any kind) and in an insert in my backpack that is only minimally padded. I considered the brain cell but I'm afraid it would take too much room...
    My wife has a 12" PowerBook and the Size 5 Horizontal Soft Cell fits like a glove (double check with the laptop fit list). She uses it in conjunction with her Large (plum/wasabi) Cafe Bag. I also personally like the Soft Cell (I use the Horizontal Size 1 for the MBP 17), although I use the Brain Cell primarily, especially when traveling, I often find the lesser bulk but adequate protection the soft cell provides for everyday work use with the Super Ego.
    Luis P.
    If it doesn't fit in your Tom Bihn bag, leave it behind

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    You'll want the Size 5 Horizontal or Vertical Soft Cell for your 12" Powerbook.

IMO, the Size 5 Brain Cell doesn't take up that much room, and it clips inside of the Smart Alec, which is useful. But many folks use the Soft Cell in the Smart Alec.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thank you for your input!

I might get both and try them out... Another question - I assume the laptop fits snugly inside the brain cell or soft cell; how hard is it to pull it out from the brain cell once that is attached into the Smart Alec?

Does anyone have a picture of the Smart Alec with a Brain Cell inside so I can have an idea of the room?
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I might get both and try them out... Another question - I assume the laptop fits snugly inside the brain cell or soft cell; how hard is it to pull it out from the brain cell once that is attached into the Smart Alec?
    It's a snug fit, but it's not difficult to pull the laptop out. The Size 5 was designed specifically for the 12" Powerbook (Tom's first Apple laptop.)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Smart Alec + Brain Cell is a Great Match

Another question - I assume the laptop fits snugly inside the brain cell or soft cell; how hard is it to pull it out from the brain cell once that is attached into the Smart Alec?

Does anyone have a picture of the Smart Alec with a Brain Cell inside so I can have an idea of the room?
    I have used the hard brain cells (not the soft cells) for my 13" MacBook in three different Tom Bihn bags (Super Ego, Brain Bag, Smart Alec), and the laptop always slides in and out very easily. (I keep my brain cells semi-permanently attached to the clips inside the bags.) There's a little bit of give at the opening of the brain cell, making it easy to slip my fingers in and pull out the laptop. I've never had even a hint of a struggle.

I have a newly-redesigned Smart Alec with a 13" MacBook-sized braincell inside, and I would be happy to send you a photo if you'd like to see the amount of leftover space inside. (Send me an email to: my name at the top of this post "at" mac.com.)

Thanks!

is the email bj_nemeth or bjnemeth?

Sorry! It's "BJNemeth" without an underscore. :-)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0