Question Cleaning the silver messenger bag

Hi there,

I've got the old style TB messenger bag in silver with black trim. What was the name of that one, anyway?

After considerable use and a few liquid spills, it's starting to look a bit messy.

How should I clean it?

Thanks!
    MikeD
    Last edited by MikeD; 03-04-2004 at 09:22 AM.
    If you don't love your computer, you need Different Computers.
    mdawson@differentcomputers.com
    http://differentcomputers.com

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    We recommend hand washing with a mild dish soap and then line drying.

That bag was probably before my time! Maybe Tom will tell us...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Doing the unadvised

Seems like I ought to mention it here.

My bag got pretty grimy after several years of use. The (now discontinued) silver color probably had something to do with that.

Hand washing didn't do it. Still ground in grime.

So, I removed every strap that I could. I sprayed the worst spots (around the edges, mostly) with Shout, and put it in the fancy clothes washer we have. It's a front loading Kenmore.

I washed it on delicate. Twice. Then air dried it.

That helped quite a bit.

Looking at the FAQ, though, I see I voided my guarantee. But really, the bag is fine.

I don't think I'd do the same in a regular top loading machine with an agitator.

Oh, and wasn't this called the "Musette" or "Super Musette"?

Here it is about 4 months after the washing, a recent victim of mud splash while riding my bike from parking to work.

I probably bought this for my wife in 1999 or so. I've been using it regularly now for over a year. Before that it got intermittent use.

I sure hope I can find a way to get work to pay for a new Super Ego! We have odd purchasing policies, being a state agency.
    Last edited by Darcy; 05-31-2005 at 02:09 PM.
    If you don't love your computer, you need Different Computers.
    mdawson@differentcomputers.com
    http://differentcomputers.com

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Re: Cleaning the silver messenger bag

Originally posted by MikeD
    Looking at the FAQ, though, I see I voided my guarantee. But really, the bag is fine.
    A lot of people put their bags in washing machines, and it seems to turn out OK.

I usually wash mine in the bath tub, which is kind of a pain but works well.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0