Thread: How many cubes?

How many cubes?

I'm considering going with an Aeronaut for a month tour of China. How many packing cubes can it (or better yet) should it hold. I'm new to the one bag route, but definitely not new to travel.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by spride View Post
    I'm considering going with an Aeronaut for a month tour of China. How many packing cubes can it (or better yet) should it hold. I'm new to the one bag route, but definitely not new to travel.
    Take a look at the pictures and discussion in eristick's posts. You can easily put a large cube and two small packing cubes in the main center section of the bag -- more if you expand the center section and unsnap one or both side dividers for the center part. The end cubes are sized to fit well in the end pockets.

Go read the review of packing cubes at the One Bag, One World site, and click through the links including the one to the main Aeronaut review and its comments to get a feeling for using the packing cubes. (They say that most people will want to get at least two or three packing cubes plus the Absolute Strap to go along with the Aeronaut, and I agree with this). You may or may not want to get the end cubes. Another option is using the Convertible Packing Cube, which will depend on your individual preference.

I'd say that the most useful combination is at least one large and one or two small packing cubes (or two large, if that's how you pack) for the main compartment, and also a clear quarter packing cube (a later addition). The usefulness of the side cubes may depend on what you pack in the side pockets. (Lots of guys seem to stuff shoes in the side pockets and almost totally fill them, for example.) I sometimes use the end cubes for separating clothes that I want to launder. I did use the Convertible Packing Cube, but I still found my Lux bag more useful. (Amazing that the link for this disappeared between yesterday and today; they must have sold out. The Swift in ballistic nylon is the nearest equivalent.) This was a really handy, all-purpose tote, that packs flat so that it almost exactly matches the opening of the Aeronaut. Packed just before you close the zipper, it keeps your contents nicely bulge-free. YMMV. (And yes, this combination has been to China.)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0