To buckle or not to buckle

Quick question regarding the seatbelt buckle option on the Super Ego and Ego bags...

Some review sites say that the buckle adds a pound to the weight of the bag but the actual weight described on this website is 5.3 oz.

2 questions:

1. What's the weight of the added buckle setup - is it really that much added weight?
    2. Do you like your seatbelt buckle if you bought it?

Thanks!

I don't know the specifics of the weight, because I only have the belt buckle option on mine. But I *love* it. Very easy to use, and I love the style of it.

I have a Super Ego and... way too many strips. Only one has a seatbelt buckle, but it hasn't left my bag since the day I got it.

It is definitely heavier if you hold the strips side-by-side, but given that my bag is never empty, I never feel the extra heft in normal usage.

There are really only two drawbacks to the seatbelt strip:

1.) Noise. There's a definite jangling at times, which isn't a huge deal. It just means people will hear you coming, whereas the standard plastic closure is quiet.

2.) You pretty much can't leave the thing unbuckled unless you're totally stationary. I didn't always bother securing the flap shut with the plastic buckle, since it did a good job staying shut on its own. The bottom half of the seatbelt buckle will pull itself down to the end of the strap, if unsecured. I usually find out I've forgotten to snap the bag closed because the weighted strap is banging into the backs of my knees.

That said, I still think the seatbelt-style closures are cool. The added weight makes them feel more durable than the plastic buckles (although, I've got a dog who kept trying to gnaw on the plastic piece, and it held up admirably well), and I prefer the push-button release to the pinch-the-sides release.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.y View Post
    Some review sites say that the buckle adds a pound to the weight of the bag but the actual weight described on this website is 5.3 oz.
    5.3oz is an accurate weight. It doesn't add a pound.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I love my seatbelt strip. The only time I take it off is when I'm traveling by air. I figure It was easy to stick with the plastic closure that's also reflective when I'm on the road.
    I never notice the weight, and the metal clinks if the strap is slack. When I close it I give a good tug to make sure it's tight.
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Thanks all - I ended up with a Super Ego and stayed with the plastic buckle. Overall, love the setup.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0