Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Hybrid Q-AM/Absolute strap?

I've been using my Q-AM strap for a couple of weeks now, and even without using it on a bike, I find the quick-adjust functionality indispensible. The only problem is that my ID gets a bit heavy with my laptop, change of clothes and a few everyday items. Have you guys considered offering an absolute strap with the Q-AM buckle arrangment? (Or conversely, a Q-AM strap with the neoprene Absolute section?)

Thanks!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Great idea!

Do you have an Absolute Strap that you've used with your ID when it's that heavy? Does it help a lot?
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I've tried both straps with my Super Ego. Though I love how the Absolute Strap helps lighten the load, it is not nearly as easy and convenient to use as the Q-AM Strap, since I almost always wear my bag messenger style. The neoprene section of the Absolute Strap is too small to be comfortably worn messenger style, in my opinion. A hybrid strap is definitely something I've thought about and its definitely something I would use. I think this has been suggested by others (including myself) in the past.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    A hybrid strap is definitely something I've thought about and its definitely something I would use. I think this has been suggested by others (including myself) in the past.
    I'm sure it has, and we've talked about it at TOM BIHN as well: it's a great idea.

Tom's doing a bunch of design work on shoulder straps. I'd say we might see prototypes of something like this (assuming it works in reality as much as it sounds like it would as an idea) Fall/Winter '08.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I'd be interested in this as well, as the one thing I've found myself wishing for is that the messenger strap had some of the 'give' of the Absolute strap.
    Proud owner of the sapphire/steel Buzz, crimson Aeronaut, steel/crimson Empire Builder, two Absolute Straps, steel Brain Cell, quarter convertible packing cube, and a variety of other packing cubes.

I too think this is a great idea.

I've been using my Imago with the quick release strap for 2 weeks now. When I take my dog out I wear the bag messenger style but, around town I would rather wear the Imago as a shoulder bag. However, the quick release strap is too slippery for over the shoulder wearing.

A combination strap would be awesome!

erin

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Great idea!

Do you have an Absolute Strap that you've used with your ID when it's that heavy? Does it help a lot?
    I only have the Q-AM strap, so I'm just going by other posters' testimonials.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ellismc View Post
    I'd be interested in this as well, as the one thing I've found myself wishing for is that the messenger strap had some of the 'give' of the Absolute strap.
    I use the Q-AM strap with an Imago and the Absolute strap with my (classic) ID bag. The point of comfort for switching over seems to be the weight of the bag. I like the Q-AM strap for the Imago better than the standard strap on the classic Imago (as it was first released). However, with the thicker padded section of the Q-AM strap compared to the Absolute strap I find that primarily one side of the Q-AM will be in contact when worn, while the Absolute strap contours better. This is because the padded section of the Q-AM is long and straight, and you may get different reports on how well the contouring works if you poll men rather than women. Just my experience. YMMV

I love my Absolute Strap, but as I've said before, I totally agree it should be longer. I think the combination of a Q-AM and Absolute Strap would be perfect. If you do decide to test out the design, I'd be incredibly happy to pay to try it out. I'm hauling around 30lbs of bag with me everywhere I'm going and the extra length of shoulder strap would be a life-saver.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0