Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Is the Aeronaut right for me?

I'm planning a long trip across Russia and China and am looking for a single bag that will suit me. I will be spending very little time flying, and a fair amount of time on trains. When I'm not a trains, I plan to stick my main bag in lockers (or leave it in a hotel room) whenever possible and only walk around with a small messenger bag (which I'll store inside my main bag when I have them both). However, I'm sure I'll be stuck carrying my main bag on my back for at least several hours on many days (I still won't be hiking up mountains with it).

I was recently introduced to the idea of convertible carry on bags and kind of like the idea -- they maximize carry on room, are more easily stored on planes and transportation, and may make organization easier.

However, do those here think that the Aeronaut will be appropriate for what I want? Will it be comfortable enough for the times I'm stuck carrying it, or should I consider a more regular backpack?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    That sounds like an amazing trip: I hope you'll share your experiences and pictures with us!

I would go on that trip with an Aeronaut (and a Medium or Large Cafe Bag as my everyday bag.) If you're talking several hours a day of regular/typical traveller walking or exploring, the Aeronaut, IMO, would be an ideal choice because it's so comfortable carried either as a shoulder bag or a backpack. But if you will be hiking/trekking those hours, a more traditional backpack designed for such a purpose would probably be better suited to your needs.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0