Question swivel clips that break

Howdy, everybody!

I have had 3 bag straps (not Tom Bihn brand) so far that have broken at the swivel clip. See pic below.

I need to find a strap that is more durable!

I have been considering the Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0505

Can someone with experience with that strap comment on the durability of the connections at the site where my other straps have broken (see pic)?

Worst case, it looks like I could remove the clips and simply attach the Absolute Strap to my bag directly.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    We've been using the same custom-for-us double-coated swivel clips (Made in U.S.A.) for the past 3 years or so, and haven't heard from any customers that their clips have broken. Personally, I trust these clips completely -- in part because they feel significantly different from the cheap clips you'll find on a lot of shoulder straps. They're a little bit heavier because of it, but I think it's worth it.

I'd be happy to send you a pair of the clips: you could put them on your current strap and try them out. Email me your address if that interests you.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Wow, THANKS. That does interest me.

However, I have already purchased an Absolute strap. I'm just waiting for it to get here!

I'm interested in your briefcase/laptop bags also, but my company wants me to carry my work bag with the logo on it if possible. So... I'm kinda stuck with the one they gave me. But their strap used the cheap clips!

Thank you for your offer, and for your feedback. I'll let you know how it works out.

Be sure to let us know what you think of the strap and the clips! I think you'll like them.

I love the strap! The clips are great, and turn much easier than others I've had.

The only thing I don't like about the strap: it isn't long enough. At maximum extension, it's just right for me with the bag on the same side as the shoulder I'm carrying it with. However, it's too short for me to carry on the opposite shoulder (with the strap crossing my body). I prefer to carry that way when I have more than a few blocks to walk, and I can't do so with this strap.

That's great to hear!

And re: the strap length -- we hear you. We're working on figuring out if we can offer the Absolute in two different lengths.

I love my absolute strap too, but I completely agree regarding the length. An extra 8" - 1' on each side would probably be perfect for me. I'm 6' tall, so I think I'm a pretty just-above-average height guy.

I loove my Absolute Strap! I never had a purse/bag that felt like nothing before. My Large Cafe Bag, to which my Absolute Strap is affixed is always full to the brim with stuff. But with the help of Organizer Pouches and the inside pockets, I find my things in a jiffy and nothing gets jammed or wrinkled. A bonus.

I have to agree with the addition of a longer Absolute Strap, especially when carrying cross body. I am only 5'7 but kind of wide and an extra couple of inches would make the placement of the bag more toward the back side and the cushion strap right at the shoulder possible.

It could be so useful at the airports' security lines, where long wait and constant slow moving takes a toll on the shoulders carrying either a Brain Bag or Aeronaute as backpack and the Cafe Bag as shoulder bag.

After the security check one has to put one's shoes on fast and get running into the far away gate.
    That's where the cushioning and springness of a longer Absolute Strap would be the most welcome either on a Cafe Bag or Imago or other shoulder bag worn cross body.
    Especially if it is worn under a backpack strap.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0