Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Wink The Smart Alec Backpack: Q&A

Hi there,

Darcy, you mentioned that Tom is working on a redesign of the Smart Alec. Any estimate as to when the newly-designed SA's might be available for purchase...?

Also, any chance the accent color option on it might include plum?

Just curious :-)

Never mind, I think I found the answer to my own question here:
    Colors available

When you were talking about only Black, Crimson & Steel U.S. made ballistic nylon being available, I thought you were only referring to the main body color (sides and back), not the accent color. I guess Black/Crimson/Steel, Black/Black, and Black/Steel would be the only colors :-(

Looking forward to seeing the redesigned Smart Alec!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by besttoro View Post
    Any estimate as to when the newly-designed SA's might be available for purchase...?
    Hmmm...probably by early December.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hi Darcy,

So what changes can we expect for the Smart Alec? December is just around the corner. I can smell it already :-).

Thanks,
    maverick

I'll let you know once we have a prototype...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks for the update, Darcy!

So, early December, eh? Do you think, like you mentioned before, that there will be more external pockets--changing the streamlined look a bit?

The look will still be streamlined, but there will be more to it.

Thumbs up

I clearly need to visit these forums move often...

I didn't realize that the Smart Alec was up for redesign and unavailable for purchase until I recommended it to a friend and went to the TB site to copy the link to forward...I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements!

Even though I haven't been watching for that long (maybe five years) I like the way that Tom Bihn bags evolve. Every improvement (no matter how subtle) has been a true improvement. There are so many consumer products out there that are loudly labeled "NEW AND IMPROVED" when there is no perceptible improvement...not so with TB. Keep up the good work! -Alan

Sooo, any new updates on the Smart Alec?

Quote Originally Posted by rkub View Post
    Sooo, any new updates on the Smart Alec?
    I'm curious too. Kind of odd we have images for the new Mac laptop bag but nothing on this yet. Sob, sob, heavy sigh.

Nothing odd about it -- the Ristretto Messenger is a design that Tom has been working on for a while. A customer is currently testing a prototype of it that Tom made a few months ago for the EEE PC.

There will be a small update on the Smart Alec in the January newsletter (going out today or tomorrow.)

Volunteer Moderator
    There will be a small update on the Smart Alec in the January newsletter (going out today or tomorrow.)
    Darcy,

You realize this teaser is going to eat at us until the newsletter comes out! ;-)

From the newsletter:

Updates on the Synapse, Smart Alec redesign

Tom writes:

"The Synapse is coming along quite well. I've been tweaking with the
    subtleties of the main compartment pattern pieces, and it's close to
    perfect in that regard. Next up: Synapse's organizer pockets!

The Smart Alec is almost done too: the new water bottle pocket has
    proven to be a little more challenging than I had originally thought,
    but we're almost there. Note: those of you who appreciated the
    streamlined design of the previous Smart Alec won't be
    disappointed."

------

I think you will find the Smart Alec to be well worth the wait: it's going to be great.

Smart Alec news?

Any news or sneak pictures of the redesign of the Smart Alec? I was thinking of replacing my laptop bag and I wanted to consider all possible options so I'm waiting on the Smart Alec.

I am curious about the new Smart Alec as well. Any new information available?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0