Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID Bag: How Much Space Is Left after Inserting Brain Cell?

I have a Brain Cell sleeve (size 5) and I'm
    thinking of getting a bag to use with it. The Empire Builder is overkill for me, so the ID Bag might make sense.

I'm wondering how much room is left after I put my Brain Cell in there. A couple of hardcover books? Another Brain Cell? A bottle of water? Just a magazine?

Thanks!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Plenty of room - enough for a sweater, a couple books, accessories, a water bottle.

And a magazine can fit in the back flat pocket!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

seh
    Plenty of room - enough for a sweater, a couple books, accessories, a water bottle.
    Really? In an ID with a computer-laden BrainCell inside? I would characterize the extra space as holding some folders, but even some books would be a real stretch. Of the OP's item list, "just a magazine" sounds closest to the mark.

Ok - I guess I mean room for everything I listed if all pockets are used, not just the main compartment where the laptop is...at least that's what I can fit my bag that's pretty much the same size. Plus I really stuff my bag I guess. Poor bag.

What kind of books are we talking about here anyway? Anna Karenina or A Hero of Our Time? Big difference between thicknesses there.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I guess I was thinking of a "computer book" like an O'Reilly or a "Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days" kind of thing. Maybe a small digicam, a magazine, and a water bottle too. And right now, my Brain Cell pouch is carrying my mouse and power adapter. I could leave them there or use the ID Bag instead.

Sound OK?

I apologize for how ugly these pictures are, but hopefully they'll show you a bit more what the ID can fit.

First picture is the ID w/the stuff in it. Second picture is just the stuff. Note that this is only stuff I put in the main, open compartment - the back pocket, and all of the front pockets were empty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Size 5 Brain Cell, O'Reilly guide to cascading style sheets, iPod, Cool Tools book, Dock Connector to USB 2.0 box, 1 Liter Evian bottle.

There was still room in the main compartment to put something small like a foldable hat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up

Darcy,

You just made a sale.

Who else would take a picture with the actual stuff I was asking about in the bag? What a company.

Glad I could help

Great photos!

Thanks for the detailed photos of a full ID bag--I'm almost positive this is the bag for me.

Two questions:

1. In the gadgeteer review she mentioned the lack of padding on the handle--any plans to change this?

I would like a sold handle on the top as I often carry my bag this way to make sure my shoulders don't get sore.

2. What colour is your braincase Darcy? I love it--I don't suppose you'll be making more in this colour?

And a third question (oops): Why don't you ship from Canada anymore?--I was pleased to see a Canadian website until I read the news.

My request would be some bright blues or purples for the ID bag.

Re: Great photos!

I'll let Tom answer the first question...

Originally posted by teffie-phd
    2. What colour is your braincase Darcy? I love it--I don't suppose you'll be making more in this colour?
    The one in the picture? That's Sapphire, and all Brain Cells come in Sapphire. We even have one ID bag left thats Black/Silver/Sapphire - so it has a black body, Silver front flap, and Sapphire interior. Does that interest you too? If so, let me know ASAP!

And a third question (oops): Why don't you ship from Canada anymore?--I was pleased to see a Canadian website until I read the news.
    We're sad about it too! In the end, the hassles of NAFTA fees and brokerage charges didn't make our weekly trips by ferry to ship product in Canada worthwhile. We're figuring out ways to make the shipping costs less expensive for our Canadian customers. We'll keep you posted.

Brain case size

I'll let you know about the bag soon.

It's awfully tempting.

I also have a brain cell question.

I have Dell Inspiron 600m and according to your info it fits in a size 4 brain cell.

My measurements (from Dell) say it's 315X257X31 mm but the dimensions of the brain cell are 348X255X32.

I know there's only a 2mm difference--but will it fit?

Cheers and thanks for the quick replies--excellent service!

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Re; Handle on ID. Because the ID is not designed to be carried as a briefcase, we've choosen to minimize the handle. We could do something more padded, but IMHO it would add unneeded bulk and expense to the ID. That being said, we are working on some new handles for several products, and if any of those come to anything, we'll probably update the ID too!

Re: Brain case size

I know there's only a 2mm difference--but will it fit?
    It will - 2mm shouldn't make a big difference. I have faith in our fitlist!

What's the color scheme of the ID bag in the pics in this thread?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0