Ego/Super Ego vs. Empire Builder vs. Brain Bag?

Hi everybody,
    I've been enjoying reading the forums and learning more about these awesome bags -- but I can't for the life of me figure out how to decide on one without seeing them in person. I was always a backpack person, but now that I'm out of school, I had sort of decided I needed a "cooler" bag, like the Ego or Super Ego (my only concern being if the Super Ego was going to be so big my books would get crushed inside), when I thought that maybe I should consider the Empire Builder, which looks beautiful and might hold papers better (?), although I read somewhere that the Brain Bag has them all beat when it comes to how much fits inside... If only I could afford them all!

I'm planning on using a size 4X Brain Cell with any of these, and I carry a lot of papers and books (especially big paperback musical scores), in addition to computer supplies, pens/pencils, the occasional bag of toiletries... Does anybody have ay ideas on how to decide among all these bags? For reference, I'm 5'11" and 180 lbs, so I figure I'm big enough to handle all of them. I do a lot of train/bus/subway travel, but it seems they are all pretty good for that. I know the Brain Bag is a step apart from the others because it's a backpack, but especially the choice between the Ego/Super Ego and Empire Builder has me stymied. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jeff
    (New York, NY & Cambridge, MA - 25 years old - Freelance musician)
    Last edited by orpheus; 02-15-2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: adding a little detail

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hey Jeff!! Welcome!

That's a tough one: the Super Ego, Ego, Empire Builder, and Brain Bag all sound like they could work for you.

How important is it for your bag to stand up on its own while you access its contents?
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hi, Darcy, thanks for the response!

Having the bag stand up doesn't really matter much to me, I think. How do you think the carrying capacity of, say, the Empire Builder compares to the Super Ego or the Ego? I just can't figure out how to pick between the types of bags, even though I realize they are completely different.

Jeff

Hi

I just got the Empire Builder last week, and I love it. I decided on it because it has padding, and has pretty much the same shape with or without a whole bunch of stuff in it. I love the file dividers & the horizontal freudian slip.

I can't speak for the Ego or Super Ego.

Not sure if you've already read these reviews:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=7395 - for the Ego
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2461 - for the Super Ego

Hi all,
    I got my Empire Builder last year for work and school. When I got it I absolutely loved it, but after a few months realized it was a little too big for my school items, so I ended up getting an Ego a few weeks ago. I absolutely love the Ego as well... The EB is a more formal bag that can hold an amazing amount of stuff. I have a size 4 horizontal brain cell that goes in both bags. The Ego is more of a sporty bag that's a little smaller. I'm 5'9" abour 160 and both bags are very manageable for me...
    Either way I don't think you can go wrong. Some suggest buying both bags and then returning the bag you don't like. I can't say enough about the quality of the bags and the amazing customer service. Can't wait til I have to go on a trip so that I'll have to pick up a Western Flyer or an Aeronaut...

RKUB, you can never have too many Tom Bihn bags. Hold on to the
    Empire Builder, your needs may change later and you'll need a bigger
    bag.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

PM, you are correct, can never have too many TB bags...lol I am keeping the EB as well as the Ego, wouldn't dream of letting it go... I'm looking at getting a Brain Bag or Western Flyer next, all depends on what happens next in life. Kinda curious to see the new Smart Alec tho...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0