Have an ID, looking to buy a laptop

Looking at the laptop fit guide, it seems most of the new models aren't in the list yet so I was hoping someone else may have some helpful experience.

I have an ID bag that I've been happily using for a while now for paperwork and a bunch of stuff that I regularly bring into the office. I'm looking at buying a laptop soon, and if any of the machines I'm looking at would fit into my bag that would be a plus. Much to my dismay, it seems like I can't buy a standard aspect ratio screen anymore; just widescreen displays which are incredibly inconvenient for my usage since I won't be watching DVDs, and also inconvenient for fitting into bags...

Anyway, does anyone know if any of the 15.4 inch widescreen models like the HP dv6700z and Dell XPS 1530, or 14.1 inch widescreen models like the HP dv2700t and Dell Inspiron 1420 fit comfortably in my bag? For bonus points, do the higher capacity batteries for these models change the story at all? If nothing else, it looks like the Dell XPS 1330 would be a slam dunk.

Thanks in advance!

Joy
    LOL! You know you are a real Tom Bihn fan when you buy your laptop to fit your bag, not your bag to fit your laptop. :-)

I work at Tom Bihn
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd1066 View Post
    Anyway, does anyone know if any of the 15.4 inch widescreen models like the HP dv6700z and Dell XPS 1530, or 14.1 inch widescreen models like the HP dv2700t and Dell Inspiron 1420 fit comfortably in my bag? For bonus points, do the higher capacity batteries for these models change the story at all? If nothing else, it looks like the Dell XPS 1330 would be a slam dunk.
    Unfortunately most of the 15.4 inch widescreens like the dv6700 don't fit in the smaller sizes of Brain Cells which the ID can carry.

If you stick to the 14.1 inch models you can definitely get away with it if you are using 6 cell batteries. The Inspiron 1420 and the dv2700t will both fit inside the Size 4 Brain Cell which the ID will carry, so if you are looking at either of those they will work - with the 6 cell battery. Good question on that by the way. Typically the extended batteries push the laptops up a case size. So if something with the 6 cell were to fit in the Size 4 Brain Cell the 9 cell on the same laptop would put the case into a Size 3S. Which you could carry in the Soft Cell inside the ID if you wanted to go that way. It's a little hard to determine exactly which case size to use for the extended battery until someone has given us the dimensions as the web pages for the laptops which we pull the dimensions from don't typically include the dimensions with the larger capacity battery attached.

I hope this helps and definitely let me know if you have any further questions. I've added all the laptops you referenced in this post to the fit finder!

Thanks for the info, Nicole. I think I may end up with a 1420 now, based on what you've told me.

And Joy... I just MAY be convinced at some point that I'm doing things a bit backwards

If you are looking at Inspiron 1420s, consider the Vostro 1400 as well. They're usually cheaper and they come with Dell's business-class support, which is far superior. Same chassis, but it's all black instead of colorful like the Inspirons, if color doesn't matter to you.

I use my Vostro 1400 with a size 3S Brain Cell because, as Nicole mentioned, I use both 9-cell and 6-cell batteries (it fits great with either). Definitely consider a 9-cell as an extra battery; it gives me almost 6 hours of battery life (enough for a full day of class) compared to the 6-cell's 3.5 hours. Ordering both batteries lets you keep the 6-cell in the laptop itself, and then you can stuff the 9-cell into your ID when you need to be a road warrior.
    Black/Crimson/Steel Ego, Crimson Brain Cell, Cocoa / Wasabi Large Café Bag, Indigo Tristar, Organizer Pouches and Packing Cubes!

Jkidd:

Have you thought about a laptop with a smaller screen? I currently use a Lenevo x60T (Tablet), and have an IBM/Lenovo x31 at home. They are super well made, light and compact--but do lack optical drives (or rather, have them in a separate media slice). I use the mdeia slice in the office as a docking bay, and when I need to carry an optical drive, I use a small USB one.

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd1066 View Post
    Much to my dismay, it seems like I can't buy a standard aspect ratio screen anymore; just widescreen displays which are incredibly inconvenient for my usage since I won't be watching DVDs, and also inconvenient for fitting into bags...
    But, widescreens are so nice for side-by-side work when you need to look at two word docs at once, or a word doc and a spreadsheet, or whatever your work life requires. I got a widescreen flat panel monitor for side-by-side work & love it, it's almost like having 2 monitors except that it fits on my tiny desk.

Plus you can set your single word doc to an eye-friendly 150% on a 12-inch laptop if it's a widescreen. Though you don't see quite as many lines at a time

I appreciate all the additional computer advice that's been showing up here, too I work in a job that would make people assume I know everything there is to know about all types of computers, but in reality I haven't shopped for a new laptop in about 11 years...

I guess one thing in my first post that I had meant to say somewhat differently was: I don't mind that companies now offer widescreen laptops, I know they fit many people's needs quite well. I just wish they had BOTH aspect ratios available. At work I had the company set me up with 2 side-by-side 20 inch standard ratio monitors, but for my desktop machine at home I have a single 24 inch widescreen monitor; for different uses various configurations could be more optimal. I'm just saying that for what I need a laptop for, I'd MUCH prefer to have a 15-16ish inch standard ratio screen, even though I have the opposite preference on my desktop.

SethKinast, that's a great suggestion. I never would have guessed that the price difference between Dell Home and Dell Small Business would have been that big for equivalent machines. If I go Dell I think I'd still end up with an Inspiron, but that's only because the Dell supplier discount that I get from my company can't be applied to the Vostro line.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0