Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

New: Cord Zipper Pulls ($3)

Cord Zipper Pulls

8 Cords and Pulls for $3

Many TOM BIHN bags come with Cord Zipper Pulls on at least some of their zippers while other bags come exclusively with metal zipper pulls. Now you have the option of buying extra Cord Zipper Pulls to use in addition to or instead of metal zipper pulls.

For $3.00 (plus $2.00 shipping of ordered by themselves), you'll receive parts for 8 Cord Zipper Pulls: 8 cords and 16 plastic zipper pull parts. (It takes two plastic zipper pull parts to make one complete zipper pull.)
    Last edited by Darcy; 01-02-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Cord Zipper Pulls

8 Cords and Pulls for $3

Many TOM BIHN bags come with Cord Zipper Pulls on at least some of their zippers while other bags come exclusively with metal zipper pulls. Now you have the option of buying extra Cord Zipper Pulls to use in addition to or instead of metal zipper pulls.

For $3.00 (plus $2.00 shipping of ordered by themselves), you'll receive parts for 8 Cord Zipper Pulls: 8 cords and 16 plastic zipper pull parts. (It takes two plastic zipper pull parts to make one complete zipper pull.)
    Hi Darcy,

This is a nice option, but I always wanted to try ratdeau's solution of using the cord thrrough the Aeronaut zippers, and the cords for thesee pulls seem a bit too short to tie this way. Any chance of getting longer cord pull segments?

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Any chance of getting longer cord pull segments?
    Great idea! I just PM'd ratdeau to ask him how long he think the cord pull segments should be so that they could be knotted and used without the plastic end pull part. Any input on that? We can send you some various lengths of cord to play around with, if you'd like!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I'm interested in these as well. Any chance of making some different colors of cord available for those of us who would like to add some color to our bags?

Zipper Cord

The solution I use now. The noise is really reduced.

I don't know if it's airport safe, but I don't fly often (In Europe it's more ecologic to travel by train).

Thanks to Ratdeau great pictures, I can see that the length of the cord looks too short when
    used through the zipper. I was hoping that two zipper pull could be knotted together for a quiet, easy to undo and yet secure closure.

I love the cute plastic zipper pull parts, they look ideal to grip in a hurry.
    I wonder if a regular shoe lace would fit inside. I bought bright color shoelaces to use on the metal zipper pull. The addition of the grippy part would give a better look and better grip.

I believe that the cord provided in the kit should at least be twice as long as the one offered if they are to be used on bags.

The present length is perfect to use with all the pouches, packing cubes, and the Style kit.

As far as color is concerned, basic black, sapphire and plum/pink/purple are on my list.

Others might like red and yellow.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-05-2008 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratdeau View Post
    The solution I use now. The noise is really reduced.

I don't know if it's airport safe, but I don't fly often (In Europe it's more ecologic to travel by train).
    What ratdeau has used here are the same exact parts that we are making available in the 8-pack of Cord Zipper Pulls.

ratdeau: did you find the cords we sent you to be too short? They don't look too short to me (and aren't when I've used bags of ours that have cord pulls rather than metal pulls) but then again I'm more of a metal pull fan.

Perfect like that

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    What ratdeau has used here are the same exact parts that we are making available in the 8-pack of Cord Zipper Pulls.

ratdeau: did you find the cords we sent you to be too short? They don't look too short to me (and aren't when I've used bags of ours that have cord pulls rather than metal pulls) but then again I'm more of a metal pull fan.
    These cords are perfect for me. They reduce the metal pulls noise and improve the grip on the pulls without beeing to long.
    I don't want long cords hanging from my bag and beiing caught all the time everywhere.

Volunteer Moderator
    These cords are perfect for me. They reduce the metal pulls noise and improve the grip on the pulls without beeing to long.
    I don't want long cords hanging from my bag and beiing caught all the time everywhere.
    OK, this sounds like a good solution. I like having the metal tabs available so that I can use a luggage lock if I have to, but would also like to reduce noise in cases where I don't use a lock. This would also work to cut down on the noise from the metal tabs on my Snake Charmer.

Darcy, I have the Western Flyer on pre-order. Could you add one set of cord pulls to this order? And I'm still hoping that you'll start offering Convertible Packing Cubes in Sapphire/White Dyneema so I'm waiting to place my order of packing cubes for the Western Flyer.

Darcy, I have the Western Flyer on pre-order. Could you add one set of cord pulls to this order?
    Sure! We have updated your order with 1 set of Cord Pulls.

Edited to add: June just informed me that the factory is going to push through all current backorders for the Western Flyer. Your order may ship as soon as Friday!
    Last edited by Darcy; 01-08-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Hi Darcy,

When we first discussed the noisy zipper's pull, you sent me some cord pulls with plastic end. I put them on and everything is ok. I will keep it like that.

To answer your question, I did some knots experiments. (Fortunately I've the quite the same cord in withe)

As a sailor I preffer style 2 and 4 knots because it's always possible to unty them. They look big but are flat.
    In every case, it's easier to do the knot, cut the rope and burn the end with a lighter. (I often do it)

Here are the cords lenghts.

Original = 10.5 cm
    Number 1 = 20.0 cm
    Number 2 = 23.0 cm
    Number 3 = 18.5 cm
    Numebr 4 = 25.0 cm

Perhaps you could propose a short version (18 or 19 cm) and a longer version (25 cm) or only a 25 cm version let people cut it like they want.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Darcy,

When we first discussed the noisy zipper's pull, you sent me some cord pulls with plastic end. I put them on and everything is ok. I will keep it like that.

To answer your question, I did some knots experiments. (Fortunately I've the quite the same cord in withe)

As a sailor I preffer style 2 and 4 knots because it's always possible to unty them. They look big but are flat.
    In every case, it's easier to do the knot, cut the rope and burn the end with a lighter. (I often do it)
    I like the style 2 knot, which looks fairly flat. What's appealing about this design, and about the zipper pulls that are now available for purchase, is that they're easy to grip. The Red Oxx Monkey's Fist is an intriguing design, but not, I think, as comfortable to grip (IMHO).

Volunteer Moderator
    The Red Oxx Monkey's Fist is an intriguing design, but not, I think, as comfortable to grip (IMHO).
    I think the idea with the Red Oxx Monkey's Fist is to grip the part before the monkey's fist knot. Especially since the knot is almost rock-solid!

I use Red Oxx Monkey's Fist zipper pulls on
    all my bags and outerwear.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Ratdeau you are a such a creative person!

Your pictures are great and so are your ideas, keep them coming

I love the idea of different cord lengths.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0