Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bag for Asus Eee PC?

A while back there was mention of a bag being designed specifically for the Asus Eee pc. Has that been released yet? I saw that the Eee was listed as fitting the size 7 horizontal Brain Cell (though the dimensions seemed a tad large), but I couldn't find anything else.

Is there a time frame for the new design? I'm pretty sure the Eee with its included case will fit in my new Imago (which is wending its way to me as I type this), but I was curious about the bag I remembered being mentioned a few months back.

And with no segue whatsoever: Happy New Year everyone! May 2008 bring you joy and delight and lots of tom bihn bags.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy Morn View Post
    Is there a time frame for the new design? I'm pretty sure the Eee with its included case will fit in my new Imago (which is wending its way to me as I type this), but I was curious about the bag I remembered being mentioned a few months back.
    No time frame: we have someone testing out a bag that's like the Small Cafe Bag but with a built-in pouch for the EEE.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks Darcy. Patience is a hard virtue to practice when it comes to tom bihn bags! Looking forward to seeing it when it's available.

Btw, love my new Imago! It's a tad larger than I was expecting, but that makes it easier to hold all my stuff. No problem with the Eee fitting in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy Morn View Post
    Thanks Darcy. Patience is a hard virtue to practice when it comes to tom bihn bags! Looking forward to seeing it when it's available.

Btw, love my new Imago! It's a tad larger than I was expecting, but that makes it easier to hold all my stuff. No problem with the Eee fitting in there.
    I'm trying to be patient and wait for the 2nd generation of the Eee PC, but it's killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    I'm trying to be patient and wait for the 2nd generation of the Eee PC, but it's killing me.
    I hear that... I really want to see if the price point is viable for me by the time it comes for my backpacking through europe trip this summer

The Asus Eee laptop has done well in Australia and Europe, but with
    its operating system and related software not being compatible with
    what most folks use in today's office environment I think its market
    will be limited to geeks and gearheads.

I was in Walmart this morning and they're selling Dell laptops at
    $499 but with only 1 gig memory, that's still very competitive with
    the Asus Eee laptop when you consider you get an operating system
    that you'll at least be somewhat familier with.

With respect to traveling to Europe this summer: I would discourage
    you from carrying a laptop, instead I suggest using an Internet cafe
    with your iPod or USB thumb drive as a storage device. Checkout the
    forums at LonelyPlanet.Com to learn more.

The Asus Eee laptop still has not solved the major problem with these
    types of mobile devices and that's limited battery life. Also, I believe
    air cards from Verizon and Sprint only support Windows based notebooks,
    the last time I checked.
    Last edited by PM4HIRE; 01-06-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

well, the main plan is to do the web cafe thing, mostly the eee pc was in the running if by second quarter they seriously drop the price point, which I doubt will happen

after all, absolutely worst case scenario, I have a gsm smart phone with full thumb board

oh yeah... no ipod for me, I really can't stand how itunes interacts with PCs

For me the appeal of the Eee was not so much trying to emulate an OS that I'm familiar with but instead have a device to do simple tasks electronically. I'm trying to be better about writing down thoughts as I travel but I just can't stand using a notebook. If they could get the battery life improved for the next version I might just buy one. If I could back up some photos too then it's be a no brainer.

I had not heard of this iPod internet cafe thing. I'll have to browse on that.

If you want to do simple word processing tasks,
    then the checkout http://www.alphasmart.com/.
    A lot of professional writers use this tool.

BTW, the Alphasmart Neo model runs for nearly
    700 hours on 3 AA batteries.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

One of the most appealing features of the Eee, for me, is the SSD. This makes it both lightweight and hardier. The other features - quick boot (linux), small size - a few other small form laptops that are coming out also have.

I also have a Neo and love it, but it is only a text-entry device. Editing is a bit of a pain (ime) but not impossible. It's great for first draft work, but for anything after that, I'm hoping the Eee will make it so I don't have to carry around a big laptop all the time.

There's a WriteRoom-ish app called JDarkRoom (uses Java) that I've put on the Eee and is just what I was looking for. A step above the Neo insofar as text entry/editing, but not the three flights of stairs above like the Word-ish Open Office Writer.

It's this quick boot, quick write aspect of the Eee that makes me want an equally-quick "pull it out of the bag and go" tom bihn bag for it. The small cafe bag sounds perfect. I have one from the old days (Santa Cruz) and will try it later and see how it works.

I own an Eee PC, and I ended up just going with the sleeve that it came with. I am anxious some times about it getting crushed if something were to happen to my bag, but I just try to be careful and make sure no one sits on it or anything ;p

Also, I think the Eee PC should be shipping with Windows XP soon, if not already. I installed XP on it myself, using my retail edition of windows. I plug it into my 20" hi-def tv, and it runs great... open office, zune player, warcraft, etc. Anyway, it's very convenient!

Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    If you want to do simple word processing tasks,
    then the checkout http://www.alphasmart.com/.
    A lot of professional writers use this tool.

BTW, the Alphasmart Neo model runs for nearly
    700 hours on 3 AA batteries.
    Oh, sometimes this site gets me in such trouble. I may have to look into one of those. Thanks I guess .

Any chance that, in addition to the Small Cafe Bag with the padded pouch, you will make a Brain Cell or Soft Cell specifically sized for the Asus Eee? I haven't bought one yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it.

If you buy one of the non-Surf models, they come with a loose neoprene sleeve, so that may be enough to slip into the small cafe bag without the padding.

It's no tom bihn bag, though, so a tougher case would be nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0