Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I was surprised at how effective ROLLING garments is in keeping wrinkles in check. Aeronaut did very well for me for short biz trips-up to 5 days of Summer travel. For colder weather I need a second bag or only travel 2 days with it.

Cold weather traveling is a pain. I just came to Omaha (from SE NC) and it is 9 degrees. I am able to take only a third to one half of what I take in warm weather just because of the bulk of some warm weather clothing. When the bag arrives, I'll try rolling some slacks - I don't think I'm ready to roll dress shirts!

I've had decent luck with rolling clothes but last time I did it was when I used a full suitcase. I haven't tried it yet with a carry on bag like the Aeronaut.

Cold weather is indeed a major pain for packing. My recent trip to New England wasn't as cold as Omaha (it was in the 30s) but I overreacted and tried to pack a ski shell in the Aeronaut. Turns out I never used it and my fleece vest, layered shirts, and a knit hat was just fine.

Jackets and jeans are always a problem for me. You can be miserable if you need a jacket and don't have it but they take up so much room. The other thing that drives me nuts is flying from warm weather to cold weather and being forced to carry the jacket. I see plenty people do this at the airport but I can't stand wearing a coat inside when I'm already nervous about a flight.

Volunteer Moderator
    Re: cold weather travel.. layering + wind proof + high tech + HAT! Even a skinny tropical thing like me can go without extra clothes at freezing... add a Polartec undershirt, and definitely the wind-proof (but thin) jacket (add a thin fleece if longer) and I'm good for anything 0 and above! No need for the huge marshmallow jackets!

Red face

I agree about layering - doing it as I type... but a windprpof shell without a fleece lining will not work for me. I have become a serious cold weather wimp!! While I was born and raised in upstate NY and went to school in Buffalo, 30 years in various southern locales has ruined me!! Even 50 degrees seems cold....

I am also all about layering.

Being in charge of shopping for the family, I am familiar with the "wisdom" of having department stores ultra hot in winter and freezing in summer.

Also I use public transport and running from one bus to another or from bus to train etc gets one hot in a jiffy.

From Spring to Winter, I always have a windbreaker stuffed in the back pocket of my Cafe Bag.

Right now, I have switched to a medium weight jacket with layers of fleece added depending how the temperature goes. When indoors, I stuff the whole thing in my Swift.

Compared to down jackets, Polartec is lightweight and made in the USA.

I also don't look like the Michelin's fellow.

For travel I usually pack my Brain Bag (without laptop) to capacity and I think I will use my Aeronaute to fold dress pants/jackets/shirts.

I wonder if the business world would ever be ok with Simon Cowell's dress Tees replacing the dress shirt.
    Those can easily be packed rolled up.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-03-2008 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Re: cold weather travel.. layering + wind proof + high tech + HAT! Even a skinny tropical thing like me can go without extra clothes at freezing... add a Polartec undershirt, and definitely the wind-proof (but thin) jacket (add a thin fleece if longer) and I'm good for anything 0 and above! No need for the huge marshmallow jackets!
    I was just thinking the other day about getting a good high quality wind proof shell. It would be great to get something thin for layering while traveling yet also something I could use for early morning jogging when it's cold. There was a post about a place that makes custom jackets that I need to find and investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    I was just thinking the other day about getting a good high quality wind proof shell. It would be great to get something thin for layering while traveling yet also something I could use for early morning jogging when it's cold. There was a post about a place that makes custom jackets that I need to find and investigate.
    Might you be thinking of BeyondClothing.com? I recently got a custom jacket from them and love it! They're expensive, but worth it, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Might you be thinking of BeyondClothing.com? I recently got a custom jacket from them and love it! They're expensive, but worth it, for me at least.
    That's the one. I just looked at a Vayu Plus X Jacket and the price nearly floored me. The options really add up. I think it was $15 just to upgrade the zipper. I sent them an email to get a recommendation so we'll see if they can talk me into it.

If you're looking for a very high quality shell, click http://www.wintergreendesigns.com/mm...tegory_Code=AK to view. I own one of these in black.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Assuming you're not grossly obese, what is often called a "layered t-shirt"
    will look good with jeans or khaki pants.

Lands End carries layered t-shirts, click http://www.landsend.com/pp/ShortSlee...&origin=search to view.
    Last edited by PM4HIRE; 01-03-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

The Lands End shirts look nice. I have also had good luck using the Under Armor tech t-shirts. They are a bit cheaper than their regular shirts and have a cotton-like feel to them but do a good job getting rid of moisture. And, they wash and air dry pretty quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0